Re: 12" Craftsman Lathe 101-28990

  • anthrhodes
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 2, 2013
      Stan,

      It occurs to me to ask, have you verified that the bevel gear element of the scroll plate is good? If it's missing any teeth or shows significant damage it might not be worthwhile to chase down a replacement pinion.

      In the spirit of being helpful I googled "chuck spare parts". Fourth hit =:

      I know nothing about them, just looked a likely place to start.

      Anthony
      Berkeley, Calif.
      In a message dated Tue Apr 2, 2013 7:41 am (PDT), speinc writes:
      So far have not been able to find one but would work if I can find one similar.
    • Charlie Gallo
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 6, 2013
        On 4/6/2013 Scott Henion wrote:

        > 2 sets or reversible jaws would be the best. Removable jaws does have an
        > advantage that it is easy to make some custom jaws.

        Do NOT under rate this - the chucks with the removable top jaws are the way to go IMHO for a few reasons

        1)WHEN (not if, WHEN) the chuck jaws start to wear, you can replace the jaws. Of course, there is an issue with the scroll and master jaws wearing, but usually the jaws themselves get buggered up

        2)Soft jaws, both simple jaws, and full 'pie' jaws can sometimes make holding that 'odd' work piece not only safe, but sometimes possible, never mind doing production work with fitted jaws that can reduce effective runout to darned close to 0

        As for what chuck, and 'affordable', it all depends on your definition of 'affordable', but remember, a good chuck is something that will probably come close to lasting as long as your lathe!!

        At one time, Bison (aka TMX) chucks were inexpensive, but...
        There is Kalamazoo Chucks, also very very good
        and I've heard some good thinsg about GTS "Gator" chucks - aka fuerda - heard conflicting reports on their quality Vs Bison. Supposedly the guy who used to be in charge at Bison is now the VP there

        a 6" semi-steel 3 jaw (replaceable top jaw) say their PN 1-201-0601 can be had online for about $275 (list is $325)

        That said, remember that their 'semi-steel' 'PS' is their economy line, You can move up to the Forged steel ($577 list) and then their various set tru versions (6" 6 jaw set tru will run you $875 list)

        NO relationship to them, except I heard about them recently - not even a customer - I'm running a 6" Bison forged chuck that I got oh, 20 years ago

        --
        Charlie
        www.baysidephoto.com