Re: [atlas_craftsman] Question about my new (old) Craftsman MK2

  • Dan Buchanan
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
      Try a can of Rustoleum # 2187 Dark Machine Gray Spray Paint in the 15 oz can
      It is as perfect a match for anything I have ever found.

      -Dan

      I picked up a Craftsman mk2 618 yesterday, does anyone know what paint best matches the original grey color? I will post pictures after I finish cleaning it up.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
        ksierens,

        FYI, a 618 is (retroactively) a MK1, not a MK2.  Atlas model number of the Inch series MK2 is either 9950 (only made about one year) or 10100.

        Robert Downs - Houston

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
          Really? I always see then generically referred to as 618's because of the swing and distance between centers. Anyways, it is a Craftsman model 101.21200 made in 1973, and I am looking for some paint to match the greenish grey paint, not the older dark grey of the MK1.

          Thanks, Kurt

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
            Yes, 612 and 618 were the Atlas model numbers of the two 6" machines that they sold from about 1937 to about 1972.  Sears didn't start selling it until approx. 1957.

            Does yours have a Zamak or cast iron headstock?

            Sorry that I can't help with the paint.

            Robert Downs - Houston

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
              Thanks for the info, it has a cast iron head stock. One owner, and came with almost all the accessories that were available.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
                OK.  Thanks.  I have date ranges and model numbers on most of the Atlas lathes sold by Sears but some of them are based on hearsay or only one example so it's always good to find additional confirmation.

                Robert D.

                In a message dated 03/31/2013 13:33:33 PM Central Daylight Time, ksierens@... writes:
                Thanks for the info, it has a cast iron head stock.  One owner, and came with almost all the accessories that were available.

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:

                >Yes, 612 and 618 were the Atlas model numbers of the two 6" machines that
                >they sold from about 1937 to about 1972.  Sears didn't start selling it until
                >approx. 1957.
                >
                >Does yours have a Zamak or cast iron headstock?
                >
                >Sorry that I can't help with the paint.
                >
                >Robert Downs - Houston
                >wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
                >MVPA 9480
                >
                >In a message dated 03/31/2013 08:31:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
                >ksierens@... writes:
                >>Really?  I always see then generically referred to as 618's because of
                >>the swing and distance between centers.  Anyways, it is a Craftsman model
                >>101.21200 made in 1973, and I am looking for some paint to match the greenish
                >>grey paint, not the older dark grey of the MK1.
                >>
                >>Thanks, Kurt

              • ksierens
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
                  Yes, I just double checked with a magnet, defiantly cast iron. Mine is serial number #001170, and I was told it was bought around 1973.

                  I need to find the handle for the compound rest and the clamp handle for the tail stock. I see they come up on eBay, and Clausing has them for a lot of money, but does anyone here have them?