Re: Atlas Model 10F 18?

  • cholmeslu
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
      I have gotten some more info on the lathe. It is a 1941 Model 10F36. I will post some pictures tomorrow of the before teardown.

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "cholmeslu" <cholmes2@...> wrote:

      > I have an Atlas lathe, model 10F***. not sure the rest of model #, data
      > plate is missing. Is there a source for parts for this machine? I am in
      > need of a gear cover and the quill lock handle/bolt.

    • tim rigg
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
        Hi all.   I have puchased a copy of the Lathe Operation, in wonderful condition but some of the section are specific to the 12” model ( such as thread cutting). Are there different versions with correct sections
        relevant to the different models of lathe, I would like one that is relevant to the 10”.  Does anyone in UK want to do a swap?
        Cheers, Tim
      • Doc
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
          thread  cutting  info for 12 in  is same as  for 10 in ..there are  sections  for  loose change &  quick  change  madels ......an  earlier crftsmn  manual  that  i have  has  only  6 in  &  10 in  ( 1957 )   my 12 in crftsmn  lathe manual ( 1974 )has  only  6 & 12 in lathes .......sometime  around 1958 atlas  discontinued  10 in lathes  &  only  made  12 in  ones
           best  iwshes
          doc n8as
          Hi all.   I have puchased a copy of the Lathe Operation, in wonderful condition but some of the section are specific to the 12” model ( such as thread cutting). Are there different versions with correct sections
          relevant to the different models of lathe, I would like one that is relevant to the 10”.  Does anyone in UK want to do a swap?
          Cheers, Tim
        • Carvel Webb
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013

            Tim ,

            Although it evolved over the years , there was only one manual at any one time . Threading info for 10” and 12” is the same . The only advantage in looking for / finding an early version of the manual is they tended to have more info on the Babbitt bearing version ,

            Regards,

            Carvel

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
              "10F" is the Series number, not the model number.  A list of Model numbers is shown on the front cover of the manual in the group Files section.  About the most common one I've seen is TH-54, which is a 10x36 machine with Timken bearings, horizontal counter shaft, and 54" long bed.  Does the "36" in the number you wrote refer to distance between centers or bed length?

              Robert Downs - Houston

              In a message dated 03/28/2013 13:46:28 PM Central Daylight Time, cholmes2@... writes:
              I have gotten some more info on the lathe. It is a 1941 Model 10F36. I will post some pictures tomorrow of the before teardown.

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "cholmeslu" <cholmes2@...> wrote:

              >I have an Atlas lathe, model 10F***. not sure the rest of model #, data
              >plate is missing. Is there a source for parts for this machine? I am in
              >need of a gear cover and the quill lock handle/bolt.

            • Eggleston Lance
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
                I have a left gear cover.
                $30 + shipping to your zip.

                Want pixs?

                lance
                ++++
                On Mar 28, 2013, at 2:38 PM, cholmeslu wrote:

                I am looking for the one on top left over the 2 shafts.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
                  True, but as the years went on, many photos in the manual changed to show later models.  The 10F went out of production circa 1956 so look for an edition earlier than that but not earlier than about 1940.

                  Actually, does anyone know whether or not Atlas published two versions in the years when they sold 6" and 10" and Sears sold 6" (but a different version) and 12"?  I've never actually seen (looked through) an early edition.

                  Robert Downs - Houston

                  In a message dated 03/29/2013 02:21:15 AM Central Daylight Time, carvelw@... writes:
                  Tim ,

                  Although it evolved over the years , there was only one manual at any one time . Threading info for 10” and 12” is the same . The only advantage in looking for / finding an early version of the manual is they tended to have more info on the Babbitt bearing version ,

                  Regards,
                  Carvel

                  Hi all.   I have puchased a copy of the Lathe Operation, in wonderful condition but some of the section are specific to the 12” model ( such as thread cutting). Are there different versions with correct sections
                  relevant to the different models of lathe, I would like one that is relevant to the 10”.  Does anyone in UK want to do a swap?

                  Cheers, Tim

                  Robert & Susan Downs - Houston