Re: [atlas_craftsman] sharpening mill bits

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2013
      there is  only 3 reason  for  sharpening your own  endmills ...you WANT to  do it ( & that  is  valid, )special grinds ,& you are just  too penurious ... oops  that  goes under  #1....

          TIME  consuming  ..best  done in batches  of same size /type mills......these jigs are  only for  sharpening  end teeth , which if  you can grind your  own drills , you can  grind a TWO lip mill ADEQUATELY just  pay  attention to  angles & count the the ":touching" ( if  one lip is a  tad  long  , as  soon as it dulls  , the  other  one  will cut ..try it  ..you have  nothing  to  lose..make sure  the  lips are longer at  the circumference ....check w/ a  steel  rule ...
      ),,you may  need to  adjust  feed w/ one lip cutting
           there are  jigs  that  use  bushings  , but cheap  china 5C 's  are  under $5 ea l;ast  time i  looked.,& will do..
       you can  also make  your  own jig ...mill some  angles on  the  bottom .& index detends on the  spindle.....some where i  have a  shop made  one  that  uses  a jacobs  chuck  to  hold  the  mill
          best  wishes
      doc
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2013
        You can see what I made to sharpen end mills and horizontal milling cutters using a Foley Sharp-All. Go to the picture section of the Gingery Yahoo group and my folder is labeled DaveInMI

        Does anyone have any experience in using a surface grinder to sharpen mill bits and what am I going to run into