[atlas_craftsman] Atlas 10 gears pressure angle?

  • Tom Butrum
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 1999
      Does anyone know off hand what the pressure angle for Atlas change gears
      are?
      I think the gears are 16 pitch but not sure if the pressure angle is
      14-1/2 or 20?
      I am going to have several gear manufacturers quote the gears as a set
      and individually.

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman
    • pdentrem@forterie.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 1999
        <3783dc40.ed80752-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman/?start=818
        > Does anyone know off hand what the pressure angle for Atlas change
        gears
        > are?
        > I think the gears are 16 pitch but not sure if the pressure angle is
        > 14-1/2 or 20?
        > I am going to have several gear manufacturers quote the gears as a set
        > and individually.

        On my pre WWII 10" Atlas the change gears are 16 pitch and 14 1/2
        pressure angle. They are the zinc alloy type, and I also will be
        changing them over to iron or steel in the future. Boston Gear still
        list the gears.
        You should look into getting a complete set so that you can cut SAE and
        ISO metric threads. You will likely need some duplicate gears to make
        up the proper gear trains. Refer to the Atlas Manual and Ron Thibault's
        web site for a couple of charts.

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman
      • ebower
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 1999
          I would recommend to use cast iron gears.

          Remember, these gears were designed to break a tooth if
          there was a jam. Using steel will cause you to tear the threads in
          the half nuts and this may be more costly as time goes on.

          It is easy to repair a tooth with several little screws and some filing.
          You can not do this with the half nuts.

          I have had experience with gears and the above is more acceptable.

          Earl Bower
          ebower@...

          >> Does anyone know off hand what the pressure angle for Atlas change
          >gears
          >> are?
          >> I think the gears are 16 pitch but not sure if the pressure angle is
          >> 14-1/2 or 20?
          >> I am going to have several gear manufacturers quote the gears as a set
          >> and individually.
          >>

          >On my pre WWII 10" Atlas the change gears are 16 pitch and 14 1/2
          >pressure angle. They are the zinc alloy type, and I also will be
          >changing them over to iron or steel in the future. Boston Gear still
          >list the gears.
          >You should look into getting a complete set so that you can cut SAE and
          >ISO metric threads. You will likely need some duplicate gears to make
          >up the proper gear trains. Refer to the Atlas Manual and Ron Thibault's
          >web site for a couple of charts.

          >Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
          >FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
          >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449
          >

          >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman
        • Joe Ross
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 1999
            Can you give some information on the Boston Gear sets? (Part numbers, etc.)

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 1999
              ebower wrote:

              > I would recommend to use cast iron gears.
              >
              > Remember, these gears were designed to break a tooth if
              > there was a jam. Using steel will cause you to tear the threads in
              > the half nuts and this may be more costly as time goes on.

              I had several minor bind-ups and one major crash with my
              10" Atlas lathe, with change gears. I never saw a gear even get
              chipped a little, but the major crash (into the tailstock) broke
              almost everything BUT the gears. The frame that the change
              gears mount on, the reversing gearbox, some keys and the end
              bracket all got damaged. It was such a mess, it was no more
              expensive to retrofit the lathe with a quick-change gearbox.
              The Atlas manual says a sleeve in the end bracket is designed
              to give first when a crash occurs, but it apparently only works
              when feeding toward the headsock. Later 12" lathes (or maybe
              only Craftsman-labeled ones) had a breakaway clutch at the
              output of the QC gearbox. I think they use a shear pin in
              it.

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman