12" Craftsman Lathe #101-28990

  • speinc
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
      I don't remember exactly I would guess 30+ years ago, the serial no. is 102104 can anyone decifer the age via serial no.?
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
        :-)  That's why I asked for the information.  I was hoping to get another fairly accurate database entry, of which there are very few.  There are very few of us here who still have the lathe that we bought new.  And the only way to sorta date one otherwise is to remove the spindle and read the dates engraved into the cones.  Which gives a rough idea although it isn't unusual for the dates on the two bearings to be up to a year apart.  But at least you know that it can't be any older than the newer bearing.  However, removing the spindle is not a trivial operation, at least time wise.

        The date that your machine was made has to fall between approximately 1967 and 06 March 1981.  Can you make a guess from what else may have been going on in your life?

        In a message dated 03/25/2013 17:31:58 PM Central Daylight Time, speinc@... writes:
        I don't remember exactly I would guess 30+ years ago, the serial no. is 102104 can anyone decifer the age via serial no.?

        Robert Downs - Houston
      • speinc
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
          Thanks every one, I will try the contacts you have given me. I will keep looking to see if I can find a closer date of purchase. Unfortuantly a few years ago I sold my shop and moved to a smaller one, so far I can not find the manuals for the lathe among alot of other stuff. Has anyone by chance scanned the manuals for the 12" Craftsman Lathe #101-28990. I sure could use a email copy until I find the originals.
          Thanks again for your help
          Stan
        • Dan Buchanan
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
            PDF copy of the manual sent, direct.
            -Dan

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
              Dan:
              You Sent:
              PDF copy of the manual sent, direct.
              -Dan

              I am new at this, I do not know what you mean. Are you sending me the PDF copy via email to me directly or do I have to look for the file on the group website??
              Stan
            • Dan Buchanan
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
                Stan,
                I sent it to you direct in an email as a .pdf file attachment to your yahoo address.
                Look in previous your previous messages. It should show it as an attachment with a paper clip symbol.

                Or find it in the the group FILES Section:
                Files/Manuals, Atlas or Atlas-Craftsman Lathes/Craftsman Lathe 12 101.28990 12X36.pdf

                If you cannot find it, look at this direct link:  http://tinyurl.com/cwxekbu