12" Craftsman Lathe 101-28990

  • speinc
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 25, 2013
      I also am new to the group. I have owned this 12" Craftsman Lathe #101-28990 lathe for many years, in fact I bought it new. I am having problems with the 6" 3 jaw chuck. The last time I used it the pinion gear stripped. The only marking on the chuck is Model 101-21680-H, no name just a few casting numbers. Does any one know where I could get a replacement pinion gear with a square recessed drive. I do not use this lathe much anymore and do not want to put a lot of money into it, however, I like it. It has given me years of service and no sign of wear. Even the chuck is like new (except the pinion gear). Any help or advise would be much appreciated.
      Stan
    • Charlie Gallo
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 6, 2013
        On 4/6/2013 Scott Henion wrote:

        > 2 sets or reversible jaws would be the best. Removable jaws does have an
        > advantage that it is easy to make some custom jaws.

        Do NOT under rate this - the chucks with the removable top jaws are the way to go IMHO for a few reasons

        1)WHEN (not if, WHEN) the chuck jaws start to wear, you can replace the jaws. Of course, there is an issue with the scroll and master jaws wearing, but usually the jaws themselves get buggered up

        2)Soft jaws, both simple jaws, and full 'pie' jaws can sometimes make holding that 'odd' work piece not only safe, but sometimes possible, never mind doing production work with fitted jaws that can reduce effective runout to darned close to 0

        As for what chuck, and 'affordable', it all depends on your definition of 'affordable', but remember, a good chuck is something that will probably come close to lasting as long as your lathe!!

        At one time, Bison (aka TMX) chucks were inexpensive, but...
        There is Kalamazoo Chucks, also very very good
        and I've heard some good thinsg about GTS "Gator" chucks - aka fuerda - heard conflicting reports on their quality Vs Bison. Supposedly the guy who used to be in charge at Bison is now the VP there

        a 6" semi-steel 3 jaw (replaceable top jaw) say their PN 1-201-0601 can be had online for about $275 (list is $325)

        That said, remember that their 'semi-steel' 'PS' is their economy line, You can move up to the Forged steel ($577 list) and then their various set tru versions (6" 6 jaw set tru will run you $875 list)

        NO relationship to them, except I heard about them recently - not even a customer - I'm running a 6" Bison forged chuck that I got oh, 20 years ago

        --
        Charlie
        www.baysidephoto.com