Re: Newbie needing help (Atlas 10100 lathe)

  • kirkorner
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2013
      The part has that part number stamped on the housing (basically the aluminum cast that attaches the shaft with two gears on the ends to the carriage) I google searched that part number and in clausing's book that was what it was called. I know what the M6-11 looks like and it is similar, but i dont think there is any way it would bolt up. http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/kirkorner/2013-02-10204843_zps9633aaed.jpg There is the picture of it (the bigger gear is on the back side of that, only picture i have at work). The smaller of the two gears (that moves on the rack) has a tooth broke off.

      -casey
      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:

      > Casey,
      >
      > Whoever told you that the part was called a cam must have been mistaken. I
      > don't find 129-045 in any of the Mk2 manuals. It may be an assembly.
      > Maybe a combination of M6-11, M6-68 and M6-102. There are three gears in the
      > carriage drive. Two are actually called Shaft and Pinion. The third is just
      > a gear with a square hole in the center. M6-11 is the gear case for the
      > carriage drive (for some reason called a bearing on one parts list). Which of
      > the three gears did you break a tooth off of?
      >
      > In a message dated 03/24/2013 19:22:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > casey.v.collins@... writes:
      > > Hey guys, I'm a noob here, looking for some help/advice on a part I need.
      > > I recently broke a tooth off a gear on part number 129-045 which from
      > > clausing is called a cam. This is also basically the same thing as part
      > > number m6-11. (it's the gear set after the handwheel) Mine is apparently a
      > > later model than what all the manuals I have seen have. My questions are as
      > > follows. I can weld up the gear and then use a diamond tip need files to
      > > regrind the tooth on there with a dremel. Is this even feasible? I called
      > > Clausing a month ago to try and get this part and they said they would get
      > > back to me (never happened, i'm calling them back tomorrow). Is there any
      > > where else to get this part? I have an extra hand wheel shaft with the gear
      > > still on it, but I'm not for sure if both are the same gear? Any help or
      > > advice is greatly appreciated
      > >

      > Robert Downs - Houston
      > wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
      > MVPA 9480

    • anthrhodes
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26, 2013
        Robert and Casey,

        I looked at a parts/price list from '05 (I think) and it shows listings for 129-014 Cam $1.00, 129-044 Cam (Front) $11.17, and 129-045 Cam (Rear) $11.17. Unfortunately, there's no way of determining what they are from the price list or on what machines they would be used.

        I read Casey's follow up message on line and looked at the photo he linked to. Generally circular, 2 bolt holes approximately along a diameter, and a gear on a shaft projecting through above the bolt holes. The part does in fact have the number 129-045 cast on its face. The gear has one of the 8 teeth missing, otherwise just looks dirty with grease. Can't tell what's on the other end of the shaft.

        Casey, would you please provide a photo of the other side of the assembly, and another of where it installs on your lathe? Also, please verify the model number of your lathe, 101100 should be an Atlas-branded 6" lathe. Wouldn't hurt for you to also provide a photo of the complete lathe.

        I can't imagine that the info you've posted is incorrect but it would give assurance to the persons trying to provide assistance to you.

        Anthony
        Berkeley, Calif.
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2013
          Casey,

          I've been out of town, just getting caught up, and about to go again.

          I also looked at your photo, and it of course doesn't look anything like what's shown in two MK2 manuals I have copies of.  So I don't know what to tell you.  I have the same 2005 price list Anthony does and found three parts referred to as cam.  AFAIK, none of the Atlas lathes have any cams in them.  My guess would be that it might be a translation error that didn't get caught by an English speaker familar with the machines.  Anyway, I don't have any suggestions.

          Robert D.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
            Robert and Casey,

            As I said in my earlier message, there's no way of telling from the price list on what machine they might be used. I thought maybe the shaper but I didn't find anything of the sort. The mill doesn't seem likely. Maybe a drill press? Probably not.

            Certain actions can be taken to try to find out. Send an email to Jolene Olds and ask for what machine? Measure the OD of the gear and give the tooth count, which will allow determining the DP, might suggest what type of machine. The only specific machine which comes to my mind at this time is one of the acquired Clausing lathes which were re-badged to Atlas for a short period of time.

            Anthony
            Berkeley, Calif.