Re: [atlas_craftsman] New Atlas 618 tailstock chuck and arbor

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 23, 2013
      FWIW ..a  few  years  ago ordered t a 1/2 in chuck from Travers  tools ..circa $20......china, all working  parts  hardened , well finished, less than  three thou runout.....needed an xtra last  year , ...ordered  again....nice  looking chuck ,again well hardened but TEN THOU runout...called tech service ...asked what  the  runout  supposed to be ...told him it was  ten thou.....he said, i dont want  you to use that  , throw it  away , sending  another ....new chuck arrived . runout  under  three  thou......unlike  some  others,.cannot  get  better  service than  that...!!!!
         have  read  recent  posts  that  jacobs  quality  not what it used to be ....if  you  go American , a lightly used  older  jacobs #34 or even more expensive  ball bearing 14N wud be a good choice...jacobs 33C taper preferred..(ebay).
          pick up a morse taper #1-#2 so you cna  use it in your headstock , if  you do not  already have  one...
         i am  sure  others  have recommendations
       best wishes
      doc
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 24, 2013
        The only thing I could add to Doc's advice is, you don't want a keyless
        chuck.
        I have also had very good luck with the cheap chucks, I did have to adjust
        the ring gear on one to make the key fit right, but that is common even with
        a Jacobs chuck.

        Glenn
        I'm planning to purchase a new MT1 tailstock chuck for my Atlas 618 and I'm
        looking for recommendations, sources, any words of wisdom.

        Thanks!

          I'm planning to purchase a new MT1 tailstock chuck for my Atlas 618 and I'm
          looking for recommendations, sources, any words of wisdom.

          Thanks!

          Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
        • Carvel Webb
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 24, 2013
            The Emco Compact 5 also has an MT1 tailstock , so if you do a search on that
            you will find some good sources ,

            Regards,

            Carvel

            I'm planning to purchase a new MT1 tailstock chuck for my Atlas 618 and I'm
            looking for recommendations, sources, any words of wisdom.

            Thanks!

            The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
            http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
            Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
            mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
          • Guenther Paul
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24, 2013
              You can buy a repair kit for Jacobs chucks. It will replace all the guts of a chuck. The number is in the front of the chuck where the key holes are. The arbor is irrelevant
               http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Tool-Holding/Drill-Chucks-Adapters-Accessories/Drill-Chuck-Parts/_/N-77ds2?cm_re=Category-_-Breadcrumb-_-Drill+Chuck+Parts
              GP

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2013
                You can indeed, but the thing will cost you more than three used chucks, one of which will probably be plenty good enough to use.

                I've had a ball bearing unit torn down for years.....  kit was like 50 or 60 bucks, and I have other chucks the same size, so it's never been a priority.

                JT