Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: New to me TH42

    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 21 1:03 PM
      Dave P,

      The Atlas Technical Bulletins are currently in the Files section of the Atlas_Craftsman_Projects group because the main group is full (if you look in the Atlas_Craftsman Group files section at the Repairs and Maintenance folder, you will see a note to that effect).  I have been intending to move some stuff from the main group to _Projects and then move all of the technical bulletins over to the main group but haven't yet gotten a round tuit.

      Anyway, log into Yahoo, click Find a Yahoo! Group (top right of screen), search for Atlas_Craftsman_Projects and apply to join (there is no email traffic so it won't increase your daily workload).  One of us will approve it as soon as we see it.  Then click Files (left pane), Repairs and Maintenance, and then Atlas Technical Bulletins - Lathes.  The one that you want is Tech Bulletin 10 Back Gear Instr.pdf

      Robert D.

      In a message dated 03/21/2013 14:45:52 PM Central Daylight Time, dpinella@... writes:
      OK.I admit that I have refrigerator blindness. :)

      I can't find the document referenced below, taking apart the headstock. Can somebody give me a pointer? Parts have arived!!!

      I did find some other interesting documents!!!!

      Thanks!

      Dave P

      >Instructions and illustration  in the Files section ( technical bulletin) on how to take apart the headstock .
      >
      >May look intimidating , but is normally quite straight forward .
      >
      >Recommend spending a few moments making yourself a simple puller with a piece of threaded rod rather than attacking it with a hammer /block of wood .
      >
      >Best regards,
      >
      >Carvel

      Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
    • Charles
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 1, 2013
        The simplest project is to adapt a machinist angle plate to fit the cross slide round "dovetail"  and then make a round dovetail on the face of the angle plate  to mount the compound slide there.    Fixtures are then mounted to the compound slide and the compound slide provides the z axis.   I had made drawings for a friend years ago, I will look for them.

        I have a milling attachment and more than one full size milling machine.  The milling attachment is handy.  It is a great fixture for mounting accessories on the lathe like a mica undercutter, internal grinder etc.

        They go for high prices since like taper attachments most lathes were sold without them, and those that did have them lost them.  Its all about supply and demand.   It doesn't matter the tool -- milling machine, lathe, grinder or sewing machine, vintage attachments almost always go more dearly than the machine itself.   I helped someone close out an estate years ago of an old engine machinist.  When I got to the shop I stopped at two metal barrels filled with material.  They told me "no, we've already sorted that stuff and it is trash,  back here is the stuff we need help identifying".   I told them no, I would start with the barrels.  The stuff I pulled out of that barrel brought over a grand on Ebay.

        I found my ,milling attachment  when a neighbor who was a jeweler brought a polishing head by and wanted me to make a stand for it.   The shaft for the buffing wheels was mounted in a 6 inch  Atlas milling attachment that was bolted to a 1/2 2 foot by 2 foot aluminum plate with a motor mounted to the back.  The milling attachment was used to adjust belt tightness.   I told him I would make up a much better set up in exchange for the aluminum plate and milling attachment.   I made an adapter to mount the 6 inch milling attachment on my ten inch lathe, but shortly afterward traded it on this forum to a guy that had a ten inch milling attachment and a 6 inch lathe.

        Charles