Re: Newbe looking for any info on a 6x18

  • curtwuollet
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 17, 2013
      I talked to the guy today and he said he'd take $400 for it. He's throwing in a PhaseII AXA QCTP with it that's never been installed.
      (probably because that's too big for a 6x lathe). And it's more dirty than rusty. I'm thinking about it. I have a DC treadmill motor and a controller that should overcome the lack of a countershaft to get the low speeds for threading, They don't come up locally very often and it turns out I know this guy, used to work at the foundry with me.
      It's worth a look at least.

      Regards

      cww

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 17, 2013
        CWW,

        That's getting closer to reasonable.  Are there any tool holders with the Phase II TP?  If it is truly unused, you should be able to sell it for 80% of list on eBay.  And being a small part, shipping won't be any trouble.

        Robert D.

        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
      • Curt Wuollet
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
          Haven't seen the tool post yet, but I suppose it's whatever came in the
          box.
          I was thinking the same way, it could make this a reasonably good deal.
          He sent more pictures and everything seems to be there 3 and 4 jaw,
          faceplate, 9 change gears, tailstock chuck, dogs, centers and some tools.
          No visible wear on the gears. No oil visible, I don't think is has been
          spun in years. Worth a 70 mile drive

          Regards

          cww

          wa5cab@... wrote:

          > CWW,
          >
          > That's getting closer to reasonable. Are there any tool holders with
          > the Phase II TP? If it is truly unused, you should be able to sell it
          > for 80% of list on eBay. And being a small part, shipping won't be
          > any trouble.
          >
          > Robert D.
          >
          > In a message dated 03/17/2013 23:41:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
          > wideopen1@... writes:
          >> I talked to the guy today and he said he'd take $400 for it. He's
          >> throwing in a PhaseII AXA QCTP with it that's never been installed.
          >> (probably because that's too big for a 6x lathe). And it's more dirty
          >> than rusty. I'm thinking about it. I have a DC treadmill motor and a
          >> controller that should overcome the lack of a countershaft to get the
          >> low speeds for threading, They don't come up locally very often and
          >> it turns out I know this guy, used to work at the foundry with me.
          >> It's worth a look at least.
          >>
          >> Regards
          >>
          >> cww
          >>
          >> --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Curt Wuollet <wideopen1@...>
          >> wrote:
          >> >
          >> >That's about what I was thinking. But it's $500 less than a new
          >> import 9x20.
          >> >The scary part is that it would probably take more work to get the
          >> new one
          >> >really useful. We'll keep watching. I'm sure somebody will jump on
          >> that one.
          >> >
          >> >Regards
          >> >
          >> >cww

          >> frenzy.

          >> picture.

          > Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
          > wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
          > MVPA 9480

        • jtiers
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
            You may want the countershaft anyway...... the slow speed isn't the issue
            as much as having some power at low speeds.

            Low speed you get with a motor control. *Power* at low speed you do NOT get
            that way. Power is proportional to speed x torque. When you reduce speed
            with a motor control you do not get any more torque (and you may lose some)
            but speed is reduced, so power is also.

            The only ways to get power at low speeds is either to use a hugely over-size
            motor and deal with the reduction in power at low speed, OR to keep the
            motor speed up and get the low speed from pulleys.

            Since you usually want slower speed to deal with larger diameter workpieces,
            the lack of power may doom you to taking only tiny thread-like chips as the
            workpiece gets bigger. That will get old very fast, even on a small lathe
            that isn't suited to hogging off material to begin with.

            IMO, $400 is getting towards high for a 618, but that depends on
            availability of machines in your area.

            JT

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
              OK.  With those basic accessories and what looked like good finish condition, if I were looking for one, I'd likely go for it.

              Robert D.

              wa5cab@... wrote:

              >CWW,
              >
              >That's getting closer to reasonable.  Are there any tool holders with
              >the Phase II TP?  If it is truly unused, you should be able to sell it
              >for 80% of list on eBay.  And being a small part, shipping won't be
              >any trouble.
              >
              >Robert D.
              >
              >In a message dated 03/17/2013 23:41:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
              >wideopen1@... writes:
              >>I talked to the guy today and he said he'd take $400 for it. He's
              >>throwing in a PhaseII AXA QCTP with it that's never been installed.
              >>(probably because that's too big for a 6x lathe). And it's more dirty
              >>than rusty. I'm thinking about it. I have a DC treadmill motor and a
              >>controller that should overcome the lack of a countershaft to get the
              >>low speeds for threading, They don't come up locally very often and
              >>it turns out I know this guy, used to work at the foundry with me.
              >>It's worth a look at least.
              >>
              >>Regards
              >>
              >>cww
              >>
              >>--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Curt Wuollet <wideopen1@...>
              >>wrote:
              >>>
              >>>That's about what I was thinking. But it's $500 less than a new
              >>import 9x20.
              >>>The scary part is that it would probably take more work to get the
              >>new one
              >>>really useful. We'll keep watching. I'm sure somebody will jump on
              >>that one.
              >>>
              >>>Regards
              >>>
              >>>cww

              >>frenzy.

              >>picture.

            • Curt Wuollet
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                It would be nice and I'll see if I can happen upon one if the lathe
                looks good,
                But the DC motor and controller I've got should have enough snus with the
                belt and back gear reduction, It was running my full size mill drill. Or a
                planetary reducer might be easier to find, The Treadmill motors do produce
                their rated HP at high RPM, but they also torque well at low speeds if you
                can supply enough current. It'll be interesting finding out anyway:^)
                Selling the QCTP will offset the price some.

                Regards

                cww
                jerdal@... wrote:
                > You may want the countershaft anyway...... the slow speed isn't the issue
                > as much as having some power at low speeds.
                >
                > Low speed you get with a motor control. *Power* at low speed you do NOT get
                > that way. Power is proportional to speed x torque. When you reduce speed
                > with a motor control you do not get any more torque (and you may lose some)
                > but speed is reduced, so power is also.
                >
                > The only ways to get power at low speeds is either to use a hugely over-size
                > motor and deal with the reduction in power at low speed, OR to keep the
                > motor speed up and get the low speed from pulleys.
                >
                > Since you usually want slower speed to deal with larger diameter workpieces,
                > the lack of power may doom you to taking only tiny thread-like chips as the
                > workpiece gets bigger. That will get old very fast, even on a small lathe
                > that isn't suited to hogging off material to begin with.
                >
                > IMO, $400 is getting towards high for a 618, but that depends on
                > availability of machines in your area.
                >
                > JT

              • Curt Wuollet
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 18, 2013
                  Condition is everything, it's pretty easy to spend a couple hundred
                  on a needy one. $200 is too much for one that's clapped out and
                  a lot of these are pretty beat. From the pics, this one looks like it's
                  seen low hours and hasn't been used as an anvil or lawn ornament.
                  I've seen a couple that were pretty much beat to death.

                  Regards

                  cww

                  wa5cab@... wrote:

                  > OK. With those basic accessories and what looked like good finish
                  > condition, if I were looking for one, I'd likely go for it.
                  >
                  > Robert D.
                  >
                  > In a message dated 03/18/2013 03:42:40 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  > wideopen1@... writes:
                  >> Haven't seen the tool post yet, but I suppose it's whatever came in the
                  >> box.
                  >> I was thinking the same way, it could make this a reasonably good deal.
                  >> He sent more pictures and everything seems to be there 3 and 4 jaw,
                  >> faceplate, 9 change gears, tailstock chuck, dogs, centers and some tools.
                  >> No visible wear on the gears. No oil visible, I don't think is has been
                  >> spun in years. Worth a 70 mile drive
                  >>

                  >> Regards
                  >>
                  >> cww
                  >>
                  >> wa5cab@... wrote:
                  >> >

                  >> >CWW,
                  >> >
                  >> >That's getting closer to reasonable. Are there any tool holders with
                  >> >the Phase II TP? If it is truly unused, you should be able to sell it
                  >> >for 80% of list on eBay. And being a small part, shipping won't be
                  >> >any trouble.
                  >> >
                  >> >Robert D.

                  >> tapered

                  >> only
                  >> year
                  >> countershaft

                  >> would be
                  >> 1960).

                • Curt Wuollet
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
                    Craftsman 618 followed me home today. I went to look at it and the flash
                    photos made it look a lot worse than it was. In fact, it's got the
                    original paint and doesn't need painting, the places that are bare would
                    be in a week anyway. The spindle is tight and the carriage is smooth
                    the whole way. The ways have no dings and the leadscrew looks new. The
                    half nuts engage deeply and everything feels right. Nothing seems to
                    have more than "steel wool and oil" rust anyplace and the fact that it
                    has some tells me it hasn't been messed with. So I loaded it up. Have
                    to make a proper bench, oil it up and see. I do need a spinner for the
                    cross slide handle and the little knob for the gear door, but that's
                    about it.

                    Regards

                    cww