Re: 10F Oil Cups - Again

  • shuckersfan
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 9, 2013
      So how much wool felt are you guys putting in the cups? I've got some 1/4" felt and the oil doesn't drain through it very fast at all.

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 9, 2013
        The originals are about flush with the top of the cup.  So two pieces of 1/4" would be about right.

        Robert D.

        In a message dated 03/09/2013 17:47:57 PM Central Standard Time, shuckersfan@... writes:
        So how much wool felt are you guys putting in the cups?  I've got some 1/4" felt and the oil doesn't drain through it very fast at all.

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "oldstudentmsgt" <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

        >Dave, That is an old McMaster-Carr catalog page, not their pricelist. home-machine-shop.com is a hobby site, much like Yahoo's groups, not a seller of stuff.
        >
        >I know that isn't much help, as I'm looking for some for my Atlas MF milling machine... :( I've not gone so far as to measure the holes, or the one I've got out (broken) already, since I couldn't afford them at the price on the old page, just now. Spent all my spare $$ on some diamond files this AM for some work on my chinese mini-lathe.
        >
        >Bill in OKC

      • jtiers
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 9, 2013
          The originals are about flush with the top of the cup.  So two pieces of 1/4" would be about right.

          Robert D.

          In a message dated 03/09/2013 17:47:57 PM Central Standard Time, shuckersfan@... writes:
          So how much wool felt are you guys putting in the cups?  I've got some 1/4" felt and the oil doesn't drain through it very fast at all.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "oldstudentmsgt" <wmrmeyers@...> wrote:

          >Dave, That is an old McMaster-Carr catalog page, not their pricelist. home-machine-shop.com is a hobby site, much like Yahoo's groups, not a seller of stuff.
          >
          >I know that isn't much help, as I'm looking for some for my Atlas MF milling machine... :( I've not gone so far as to measure the holes, or the one I've got out (broken) already, since I couldn't afford them at the price on the old page, just now. Spent all my spare $$ on some diamond files this AM for some work on my chinese mini-lathe.
          >
          >Bill in OKC

        • jtiers
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 9, 2013
            When I added way lube oil cups to my Logan carriage, I took some felt and "teased it out" to open it, tugging it apart until it was about the density of yarn.  Otherwise it will be almost an oil blockade.

            You do NOT want to fill up the cup with high density felt, IMO.....

            What I wanted with the felt was not a flow regulator, but rather a 'filter" for swarf and so forth that might otherwise go down the hatch despite flip covers.

            If you need to regulat flow, you need a different type of cup, wher the middle has a pipe coming up, so it holds oil.  Then you put a wick down the pipe, dipping into the oil, which moves oil slowly from teh cup to the bearing by capillary action.

            JT

              The originals are about flush with the top of the cup.  So two pieces of 1/4" would be about right.

              Robert D.

              In a message dated 03/09/2013 17:47:57 PM Central Standard Time, shuckersfan@... writes:
              So how much wool felt are you guys putting in the cups?  I've got some 1/4" felt and the oil doesn't drain through it very fast at all.

              Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
            • jtiers
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 10, 2013
                If you can squeeze it nearly flat, it will be good for the oil cups.  (But not for way wipers)

                If it is "quite solid", it will be good for way wipers if of correct shape.  (But not for oil cups, that is the "oil blockade" I mentioned.)

                Something in between is good for wicks.   The solid type may actually work, but a slightly looser type works a bit better.

                I used the solid type, because I had it from making wipers, which is why I had to separate it to a more "yarn-like" consistency.   If you already have the more open type, you won't need to do that.

                Obviously, you need to be able to actually get an appreciable amount of oil into the cup, and it needs to go from there to the bearing.  With very solid felt, it may take a substantial "head" of oil behind it to get any through.

                JT

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 10, 2013
                  There is a pair of original Gits oil cups for Atlas 10 & 12 inch lathes that showed up on eBay, Item Number 271169519925.
                  ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-ATLAS-CRAFTSMAN-10-12-METAL-LATHE-OIL-CUPS-OILERS-GITS-9-204-/271169519925?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f22f68135 )

                  Listed for $18.99 BUY IT NOW with $4.00 shipping.
                  I have no interest and no association with the seller.
                  -Dan