Re: [atlas_craftsman] Clausing Lathe / Need some help

  • David Van Mill
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2013
      Thanks for the information Lance. I looked at the one on eBay and it appears that one is just 530 units earlier than the one I am looking at. It is number 15699 & the one I'm looking at is 16229. Any idea on about when these were made?

      The one in your picture looks great.

      Can you tell me what the headstock mount is, thread & taper  & also the tailstock.
      Thanks,
      David / NO MOUS69

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2013
        Clausing lathe parts are available just like atlas parts from Clausing I would not worry about parts. If this is a gear head lathe you most likely wont need parts

        GP

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2013
            David,
          I have that exact machine without the cabinet.
          Mine is a Clausing  Model 111 MK3a.
          Thes lathes are 12 x 36
          1 1/2" x 8tpi Spindle thread
          3 MT spindle taper
          3/4"+ through hole
          2 MT tailstock taper
          Lots of info  HERE

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2013
            David,

            I don't think this has been said or if it was, I missed it.  The lathe is a Clausing 4800 Series.  At some point after Atlas bought Clausing, someone decided to change the model numbers (maybe to fit them in with Atlas model numbering system - no one seems to know) and the 100 Series became the 4800 Series.  The final "4" probably ID's the bed length/distance between centers.

            I don't recall where it came from or why I have it but I have a copy of the 1957 4800 Series manual if you haven't already found it.  I haven't taken the time to properly clean it up but it isn't bad.

            Robert D.

            In a message dated 03/01/2013 17:15:52 PM Central Standard Time, nomous69@... writes:
            I currently have a Craftsman model 101.27430 lathe (12" swing X 24" between centers). I just tinker with it and will never be really good at using it. But I am always looking for better things.
            Today I was in a shop (one of my customers) and I noticed he had two lathes within 5 feet of each other. I made the comment that I couldn't believe that he had two lathes, both of them bigger than mine. He then asked me if I wanted to buy one of them. Wasn't sure if he was serious so I went on about my business not saying anymore to him. When I was ready to leave, I asked him if he was serious about maybe selling one. He said he didn't need two and he didn't use one very often. I asked which one he might part with and he pointed to one. It was covered with boxes and stuff laying on it. I looked at it as best I could. It is a Clausing that appeared to be in pretty good shape. I measured the bed and it was 60 inches, this included the part under the headstock. It looked to have at least 36" between centers and maybe 42". The ways had an upward V shape to them. It was mounted on a set of legs which looked similar to ones I have seen on some Craftsman lathes.

            I looked for some numbers on it and the only tag I could find was on the right end of the bed. There were two numbers. The one on the top is 4804, and the lower number is 16229. They didn't say model number or serial number. They were just stamped on a small tag that was attached to the side of the bed.

            This lathe looked so much more stout than what I have. It just seemed to have a lot more beef to it. Everything looked stronger on it. The owner said he didn't know what it was worth and I told him I really didn't either, but I would do some looking into it. He said to call him when I new something about it.

            There was a 4 jaw chuck on the lathe and a steady rest sitt ing under it. There was also another 4 jaw chuck but it didn't have a back plate on it. Probably just some basic tooling with it. Is there any chance this would have the same headstock mounting as my Craftsman, 11/2 x 8 thread.

            I would appreciate any feedback on this lathe as far as ballpark value and things to look more closely at. It does have a quick change gearbox on the front. He did say it worked last time he used it but used the other lathe because it was easier to get at.

            I wasn' smart enough to think about taking some pictures of it with my phone. That occured to me after I was about 20 miles away. This is located about 2.5 hours from my house so I can't just run over and look at it again.

            Any thoughts would be appreciated.

            David / NOMOUS69

            Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
          • Guenther Paul
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
              Robert  may be able to help you on this one. It looks like a atlas/craftsman but newer. I would say its a 36" between center lathe. I would start at $600.00 would not pay more then $ 900.00 depending on the tooling if any
              GP

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
                David,

                I take it that the lathe you are considering isn't the one in the photos.  The one in the photos appears to be missing the leveling screws.  According to the 4800 Series manual that I have, they are hollow (3/8" ID) and have a hex head.  The four holes through the feet are apparently tapped.  I've no idea what thread.  Maybe 5/8" or 3/4" UNC.

                In any case, if it will help any I have a copy of the Clausing 4800 Series manual from 1957 that I've slowly been cleaning up.  I could send you an as-is copy if you don't already have it.  It covers serial numbers from 15000 to above 17000.

                Would whomever sent me the PDF file please contact me direct?  Page 33 will not display.

                Robert D.

                In a message dated 03/13/2013 06:45:44 AM Central Daylight Time, paulguenter@... writes:
                Robert  may be able to help you on this one. It looks like a atlas/craftsman but newer.  I would say its a 36" between center lathe. I would start at $600.00 would not pay more then $ 900.00 depending on the tooling if any
                GP

                Yes, it certainly does look like that one. What are your thoughts???

                David

                My mail manager apparently stripped the photos.

                On Mar 1, 2013, at 6:15 PM, David Van Mill wrote:

                The one on the top is 4804, and the lower number is 16229.

                ma

                Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
              • Eggleston Lance
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
                  This is a Clausing lathe, prior to the Atlas buy-out.
                  This is much more robust than the Atlas / Craftsman lathes.
                  Price depends on condition, tooling included,
                  location to you and how much you want it.

                  A 12" Clausing in good shape with chuck, MT drill chuck,
                  all its parts;  start at $750. More tooling add.
                  Great clean condition add $100.

                  lance
                  ++++

                  Yes, it certainly does look like that one. What are your thoughts???

                  David
                  Look like this one?

                  <Screen Shot 2013-03-01 at 7.19.54 PM.png>    <Screen Shot 2013-03-01 at 7.20.04 PM.png>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 13, 2013
                    Lance,

                    No, t'other way around.  If it were from before the Atlas purchase, it would be a 100 Series.  the 4xxx series are from after.  The 48xx Series seems to have started at serial number 15000.  Which could mean that the 1xx went up to 14xxx.  The 4804, is certainly heavier than the 101.27440.  But the manual doesn't show weight (or any of the other specs for that matter) so I don't know how it compares to the Atlas 3900 Series.

                    At least that's my guess from the limited information available.

                    There is a Clausing Yahoo group - Clausing_Lathe_and_Mill

                    In a message dated 03/13/2013 11:37:53 AM Central Daylight Time, wheezer606@... writes:
                    This is a Clausing lathe, prior to the Atlas buy-out.
                    This is much more robust than the Atlas / Craftsman lathes.
                    Price depends on condition, tooling included,
                    location to you and how much you want it.

                    A 12" Clausing in good shape with chuck, MT drill chuck,
                    all its parts;  start at $750. More tooling add.
                    Great clean condition add $100.

                    lance

                    Robert Downs - Houston