Lead Screw Compatablity

  • russ61hi
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
      I have a Craftsman 12" Lathe model # 101.07403 with a 54" bed. It needs a lead screw. I have found a Craftsman lathe bed model #101.21400 with it's lead screw locally on eBay. I have asked the seller the length of the bed. Assuming the beds are the same length, I'm guessing the lead screws will be compatible?

      Thank you for your time.
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
        On 02/04/2013 12:40 PM, russ61hi wrote:
        > I have a Craftsman 12" Lathe model # 101.07403 with a 54" bed. It needs a lead screw. I have found a Craftsman lathe bed model #101.21400 with it's lead screw locally on eBay. I have asked the seller the length of the bed. Assuming the beds are the same length, I'm guessing the lead screws will be compatible?

        The earliest 10" lathes (D model) had 5/8" leadscrews with no drive
        keyway, as they
        did not have power crossfeed. I think the earliest 12" might have also
        used these
        parts. The easiest check is for the diameter and presence of the keyway.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
          No and no.  Your lathe is a 12X36 and needs a lead screw that is 3/4" diameter (with 8 threads per inch) and around 50" long.  I think that the length is 51-3/16" but I don't have enough confidence in that yet to state it as a fact.

          The 101.21400 is a 6X18 with a 1/2" dia. lead screw somewhere around half the length of the one on any 12" model.  I don't know what the bed length of the 618 is as Atlas didn't ID any of the 6" machines that way as they did the 10" and 12".  But it will also be roughly half the 54" length of yours.

          Do you still have the old lead screw?

          Robert Downs - Houston

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
            On 02/04/2013 01:26 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
            > On 02/04/2013 12:40 PM, russ61hi wrote:
            >> I have a Craftsman 12" Lathe model # 101.07403 with a 54" bed. It needs a lead screw. I have found a Craftsman lathe bed model #101.21400 with it's lead screw locally on eBay. I have asked the seller the length of the bed. Assuming the beds are the same length, I'm guessing the lead screws will be compatible?
            >>

            > The earliest 10" lathes (D model) had 5/8" leadscrews with no drive
            > keyway, as they
            > did not have power crossfeed. I think the earliest 12" might have also
            > used these
            > parts. The easiest check is for the diameter and presence of the keyway.

            I should have added that the later machines (F model) had a 3/4"
            diameter leadscrew with
            a keyway to drive the power crossfeed.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
              Unfortunately, none of the 3/4" dia. 10" lead screws have the same part numbers as any of the 12" 3/4" dia. ones.  I didn't check the 5/8" dia. part numbers.

              Robert D.

              In a message dated 02/04/2013 15:53:44 PM Central Standard Time, elson@... writes:
              On 02/04/2013 01:26 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
              >On 02/04/2013 12:40 PM, russ61hi wrote:
              >>I have a Craftsman 12" Lathe model # 101.07403 with a 54" bed. It needs a lead screw. I have found a Craftsman lathe bed model #101.21400 with it's lead screw locally on eBay. I have asked the seller the length of the bed. Assuming the beds are the same length, I'm guessing the lead screws will be compatible?
              >>

              >The earliest 10" lathes (D model) had 5/8" leadscrews with no drive
              >keyway, as they
              >did not have power crossfeed.  I think the earliest 12" might have also
              >used these
              >parts.  The easiest check is for the diameter and presence of the keyway.

              I should have added that the later machines (F model) had a 3/4"
              diameter leadscrew with
              a keyway to drive the power crossfeed.

              Jon

            • anthrhodes
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
                I see there have been several responses talking about the differences between several 10" and 12" models. Am I incorrect in my recollection that a 101.21400 is a 6" model?

                Anthony
                Berkeley, Calif.