long message from wa5cab

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
      Robert (wa5cab) apologized for his oops of sending that long message
      to the group instead of just one user. But, this brings up a point.

      I don't know what Yahoo does with every type of attachment. For
      jpeg files, it stores them at Yahoo, creates a thumbnail and attaches
      that to the mail messages. You have to click to see the full-size image.
      For .pdf files, it apparently just attaches that to all emails.
      What about a MALICIOUS file? Does Yahoo identify these
      and trash them? What if they don't, and it sends out 5000 copies
      of malware? Does anybody know how Yahoo handles this problem?
      I consider I'm somewhat immune as I use a Linux system, and it
      asks what to do before blindly activating any scripts, but a lot
      of people use less-secure Windows systems.

      Any thoughts?

      Jon (moderator)
    • kdsalez

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2013
          Linux is fine..... if you can use it.....

          NONE of my CAD stuff will run with it.....  Nothing else I have will either.

          Aside from that, it's perfect......

          JT

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
            jerdal@... wrote:

            > Linux is fine..... if you can use it.....
            >
            > NONE of my CAD stuff will run with it..... Nothing else I have will
            > either.
            >
            > Aside from that, it's perfect......

            Sure. So, I use VMware (there is a "viewer" version that is free) to
            run a Win 2K system on the same computer. You can also run
            XP or whatever you want (but not some old systems like 95, 98 or
            NT.) This works great, my Win2K system usually stays up 2
            months or so at a time between reboots, and you can use Samba
            to share directories (Windows file shares) between the two systems
            pretty seamlessly. I run a HUGE electronics CAD package and
            BOBcad on the Windows system under VMware.

            Jon
          • Ken
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2013
              Look into WINE --a *Nix program for running some Windows programs.

              Also It seems a good many CAD/CAM programs are actually DOS, which almost
              always will run in DOSBox (a X86 emulator program).

              Also dual boot is easy, and one can always run a virtual machine inside a *Nix
              box. It allows you to actually run an instance of Windows 'inside' a *Nix
              environment.

              --I see Jon has pointed this out already, so I'll just act as a second
              confirmation to what he said.

              Any, or all of the above may be easy or difficult for you --I have no way of
              knowing. But yes, *Nix in general is easy enough for your grandmother to use.

              One of my Linux User Groups (LUG) meets in the local library --we always set
              up a *Nix box for the general public, but don't tell anyone what it's
              running.

              The most common question we get is "Wow, that's nice --what version of Windows
              is it?"

              Almost everyone has an old computer that isn't being used --put *Nix on it and
              try it.
            • Eggleston Lance
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 2, 2013
                Just to complete the options list,
                Mac OS 10.x can run Windows and *nix
                and Mac OS. They can be run simultaneously
                with Parallels software or separately with multi-boot.

                The Win OS runs in a sandbox so when it gets corrupted
                you can trash and reinstall. Of course, you did back up all your files, right?

                _L_