re: resto pair...

  • Gary Bauer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2013
    Hello Folks,
    I'll attempt this attachment stuff once more via an email thingie.
    The Atlas 12x36 with the horizontal counter shaft (jackshaft) and Timken bearings was obtained from a member here, "yaeffinhoo" ie Scott in Flagstaff, AZ this past July.  The "before" pics are in his photo file.  The lathe was disassembled down to the castings, restored, repaired, and repainted (Rustoleum Gray).  The paint appears blue in the shrunken pixels for some reason.  I shrank the photos from 5 meg to under 100Kb to save file space and not waste your time.

    On the shelf under the 12x36 is another Atlas, a little 618 which I also restored from the Autumn of 2010.  A fresh lead screw is on the way via E-bay.  A 1/4 HP GE 120v single phase motor (also not shown) has been restored to power this small lathe.

    The chuck on the 12 inch Atlas is an 8 inch diameter 4-jaw from E-bay as is the steady rest.  Worn shafting was replaced.  Fresh bushings were from a local hardware store and modified to fit.  Some rusty fasteners were replaced with stainless steel versions.  The original toggle switch was restored with a home-built guard mount.  That mod replaced the surface-mounted light switch.  So many Atlas lathes have a rectangular hole in the headstock and a missing toggle switch.  The guard mount screw holes are 5-40 machine screw size by the way.

    The 12x36 wiring harness was made by me using automotive fuel tubing as a protective sheath and some automotive radiator hose super-glued on it as strain-relief retainers.  It is presently set to run on 120v (@3/4 hp).  When I flip that toggle switch the patio lights dim for an instant.  The lathes are located on the semi-enclosed patio of my apartment,

    Gary in AZ
    Message 2 of 2 , Jan 28, 2013
      Gary,

      Yes, I noticed that the shelf the 618 is sitting on didn't look straight and level in the photo but assumed it was caused by the camera or lens.  :-).

      Back when eBay used to tell everyone to limit photo file size to 50 KB, at first we had a camera (an Olympus I think) that could be set to do that.  When we replaced it with a Nikon D100 and then switched to the D70, neither of them would store below about 200 KB and I tried several different JPG compressors.  I never was happy with any of them as they all fouled up at least one basic color.  Then eBay quit insisting on 50 KB files and the problem went away.  Saved me a lot of time in post processing, too.

      Unfortunately, I don't know anything about settings in your camera.  I will mention though that in the instructions they may not even mention file size (Nikon doesn't).  They may refer to resolution or megapixels or something like that.  And you have to choose one of the settings or groups of setting and take a few photos and upload them to a computer and see what the average file size is.  I.e., trial and error.

      As far as getting them onto your PC is concerned, if the Cannon has a removable memory chip, module, card, etc., you should be able to find a USB card reader that you can plug into your computer and plug the memory card into it.  We have one that's actually mounted as a front-panel mounted drive ,  It handles at least five different types of memory devices and makes them appear in Explorer just as any other type drive.

      Glad that you figured out the attachment process.  I think the Attachment section would be treated as for photos of relatively short term interest, but that's up to the list-owner.  Disgusting thing is, though, that Attachments has search capability available whereas Photos doesn't.

      On the general subject of Atlas stands, I have a suspicion that the original designers of the 10" and 12" machines assumed that some of the necessary rigidity would be provided by a hefty stand.  Hence the cast iron legs and 2+" thick solid wood tops they supplied.

      Robert D.

      In a message dated 01/28/2013 14:52:37 PM Central Standard Time, garybauer46@... writes:
      Hello Robert,
      Yes, the pixel reduction program let me down.  My Canon Powershot camera angle makes the lathe stand look completely warped.  When I first viewd that picture I went out to the lathe and measured the stand.  It was square and level.  The camera lied !!!  But, yup the stand is really marginal.  I will add a top section of 2x8 inch by 5ft channel iron for more beef.

      Reducing the picture density at the camera is the way to go.  I have been attempting to do just that.  Also the Canon software doesn't load into my PC so I had to have my brother download the camera to his PC and then make a CD of the pics for me.  A Polaroid camera would have been lots easier... maybe.

      Fortunately I have the original high density pics saved to that CD and will get the fuzzy one cleared up a bunch.  Also I'll add Scott's picture of the unrestored 12x36 as I received it in July 2012.

      My big discovery here is that the new picture attachment process works via an email posting.  I should have known that from my other yahoo groups.

      Gary in AZ