Re: [atlas_craftsman] Goose-neck / Spring-type Tool Holder

  • Eggleston Lance
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
    I have used a spring tool for parting and it works very well.
    The idea is that rather than catch, the tool pushes away from the work, then springs back.

    I have not see QCTP holders like that b4, most I have seen
    are of these types:

  • Paul Howell
    Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
      Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it looks like these holders are to be used with rocker/lantern type tool posts. I have a 4 position tool tool holder and a wedge type QCTP which is why I was interested in the tool holder shown at the referenced web link.

      Paul H.

      I have used a spring tool for parting and it works very well.
      The idea is that rather than catch, the tool pushes away from the work, then springs back.

      I have not see QCTP holders like that b4, most I have seen
      are of these types:

      lance
      Hamburg, NY
      ++++

      On Jan 15, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Paul wrote:

      Has anyone had any experience with the type tool holder shown in the following link? It looks like it might solve some chatter problems I have and would work well on my QCTP. I'm not sure how to figure out the size/specifications, I have an 0XA tool post (same size as for the mini lathe). I might like to make one if I could get a better idea of material and specifications. I have access to an online version of the book and didn't see any specifics. Thanks for any info or alternative ideas.

      Paul H.

    • Eggleston Lance
      Message 3 of 4 , Jan 15, 2013
        One could adapt an existing holder with a 1/2" bar for the QCTP.

        Or one could make their own to fit from annealed spring steel.
        Then hard, once machined.

        lance
        ++++