Mill tool removal

  • dws
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2012
      > I realize this request does not relate to Atlas, but the help offered, and
      > knowledge that this list has is amazing, and I am hoping for some help.
      > I have a Pratzi bench mill that is fitted with a MT 2 spindle taper, and
      > when the mill was shipped to me, the drill chuck was still installed. Fairly
      > stout thumps with hammer and brass bar has failed to release it. Does anyone
      > have any suggestions for getting it out so that I can mount an End mill
      > holder?

      Some facts which should be part of one's mental model when facing this question.

      1. Few if any drill chucks are "MT2". They need an arbor, which has an MT2 male end and a drill chuck taper male end.

      2. When used for milling, a taper, particularly a smaller taper such as MT2, is unreliable in holding the drive chain together. That means that the MT2 arbor likely has a threaded rear, where a draw bolt holds it in place. Further, the chuck, if used for milling, is likely not a taper mounted chuck, unless it is augmented by some threading mechanism.

      Bottom line, if this chuck was used for milling, there's a good chance you can't just knock the chuck off of its taper.

      But even beyond that, if you want to replace a MT2 chuck with an MT2 end mill holder, you need to remove the MT2 arbor (with chuck connected) from the mill, rather than removing the chuck from the arbor.

      dw