Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Wanted: leadscrew end bracket for 12 inch Craftsman C

  • wa5cab@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
      I don't recall whether the original post indicated whether the machine was
      early or late. Although the early Commercial models (and Atlas models) had
      the same leadscrew tail bearing as the 10" and earlier 12", the late models
      from about 1968 to 1981 have a slip clutch at the gear box end and a
      two-piece bearing plus ball thrust bearings at the tailstock end. The late bearing
      should be easier to make than the earlier ones.

      Robert D.

      In a message dated 12/03/2012 14:34:35 PM Central Standard Time,
      Brucekareen@... writes:
      > You likely realize by now that the weak construction of the bearing
      > support was intentional. It was designed to serve as a mechanical fuse
      > should
      > the carriage run into something while under power. I believe the
      > reversing
      > gears would be next in line to destruct.
      >

      > I made one from aluminum. It's lasted about 50-years so far.
      >
      > Since breaking the original, I have been a whole lot more careful, as I
      > know, if I run the carriage into something again, the damage is going to
      > be a
      > whole lot more serious.
      >
      > I have been intending to modify the homemade bearing so as to have a
      > breakaway bushing insert -- this held in place by a short section of
      > 1/16-inch
      > aluminum wire inserted through a drilled hole to serve as a fuse that will
      >
      > shear and allow the lead screw to power-out to the right and disengage
      > from
      > the reversing gear. This terrific suggestion was made, some years back,
      > by
      > a list member. If you decide to fabricate a bearing support, it is worth
      >
      > searching the archives for the posting.
      >
      > Bruce

      Robert Downs - Houston

    • fujiyoshis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
        Thank you all for some very helpful information. I think that I'll
        fabricate one instead of purchasing one............maybe.
        steve

        Brucekareen@... writes:
        > You likely realize by now that the weak construction of the bearing
        > support was intentional. It was designed to serve as a mechanical
        fuse
        > should
        > the carriage run into something while under power. I believe the
        > reversing
        > gears would be next in line to destruct.
        >

        > I made one from aluminum. It's lasted about 50-years so far.
        >
        > Since breaking the original, I have been a whole lot more careful, as
        > know, if I run the carriage into something again, the damage is going
        > be a
        > whole lot more serious.
        >
        > I have been intending to modify the homemade bearing so as to have a
        > breakaway bushing insert -- this held in place by a short section of
        > 1/16-inch
        > aluminum wire inserted through a drilled hole to serve as a fuse that
        will

        > shear and allow the lead screw to power-out to the right and
        disengage
        > from
        > the reversing gear. This terrific suggestion was made, some years
        back,
        > by
        > a list member. If you decide to fabricate a bearing support, it is
        worth

        > searching the archives for the posting.
        >
        > Bruce

        Robert Downs - Houston