Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: WTB:Quick Change Tool Post

  • Scott Henion
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2012
      On 11/3/2012 11:53 AM, vachss wrote:
      > Any of the QCTPs out there will hold the tool. With added expense you're buying a degree of precision and repeatability - no slight shifts when you tighten the tool down, etc. That's very nice for high precision work, but (and I may get into big trouble here for suggesting this) may be wasted cost/effort for most of us on older Atlas machines. Sure, we all dream of machining down to "tenths", but how many of us or our machines are capable of this sort of precision? Realistically a Phase II (piston or wedge) AXA-size QCTP is probably fine for any of us (and even a cheaper knock-off clone might be good enough for most).

      Yes, I don't see spending more for a QCTP than I paid for the whole lathe.

      There are cheaper alternatives for a stiff tool holder. A 4-way post is
      easy to make. Here's a 2-way I made:
      http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman-12x36/toolpost.shtml

      Mine came with a Phase II. Works well and it is real nice to be able to
      drop in a turning tool, then a facing tool and then a boring bar all
      without having to adjust the height.

      --

      ------------------------------------
      Scott G. Henion
      http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
      ------------------------------------
    • Guenther Paul
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2012
        Sorry i did not make myself clear. I meant a quick change gear box
         GP

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2012
          I bought the CDCO wedge type AXA for my 10F. The "T" nut was the correct thickness, but too wide to fit the slot, so I used a hack saw and file to cut it down to the right width. My compound casting had a "hump" that prevented the holder base from seating. Fortunately, I have a mill and was able to mill the flat on the compound back enough to seat the AXA. You should check on that for your situation.

          I am quite happy with the operation of the CDCO tool post. However, in many one-off situations using a lantern tool post is just as fast and probably easier to set up since the tool angle and height can be set at the same time. If you're doing multiple pieces, the QC wins by a lot.

          Good luck,

          Dick

          Richard Marchi
          Gangplank Marina Slip H-22
          Washington, DC 20024

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2012
            On 11/03/2012 08:58 AM, Guenther Paul wrote:
            > You all are talking about QC. How much are you willing to pay for one that is
            > very similar to a atlas and looks the same and
            >
            > works like it

            Ugh, the hideous "lantern" toolpost? I had one that came with my Atlas, and
            am glad I don't even have one for my Sheldon. After you've had
            one slip on you when parting-off, you will not want to ever use them
            again. And, if you flip the concave washer over to prevent slipping, then
            you have to mess with shims for height adjustment. Ugh, what a pain.

            Unless you are restoring a shop for museum display, I think the
            era for the lantern post has long passed.

            (just my personal opinion!)

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2012
              On 11/03/2012 11:38 AM, Guenther Paul wrote:
              > Sorry i did not make myself clear. I meant a quick change gear box

              Ahh, very different. Well, any QC that was designed for a lathe with an
              8 TPI
              leadscrew should be adaptable to the Atlas. How easy or difficult this
              would
              be depends entirely on the shape of that QC. In general it shouldn't be
              that
              hard, but the spacing of the input shaft from the rear-most part of the
              QC will be important to determine how it fits. Due to the apron, it
              is not easy to move the leadscrew to a different location, so the QC
              needs to align to where the leadscrew is.

              Jon
            • L. Garlinghouse
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2012
                A sort of piggyback to Richard's input.

                Rather than machine off the hump on my 10F, I made another T-spacer [just
                like the T-nut, but no threads] which spaced the toolpost above the hump and
                would allow it to be rotated. On my QCTP [a no-name cheapo, but perfectly
                satisfactory] there is about a 3/8" hole at the rear RH corner. I drilled 2
                matching holes in my T-spacer 15 degrees apart and made a pin that fits in
                the tool holder. I made sure I put the holes such that if I have my
                compound set at 30-degrees and the QCTP set so the tools are parallel or
                90-degree to the work, I can quickly go to 45-degrees by rotating the
                toolpost. In my mind, this setting is repeatable because of my pin setup.

                I have also experimented with a spring loaded ball in said hole, and several
                indentations on the spacer. I decided the T-spacer was needed because the
                holder would turn when trying to knurl. I was unable to get the right sized
                ball to make the spring loaded ball a really successful endeavor so I've
                ended up with a pin . . . at least for now.

                There is also a 3/8"-24tpi hole out the rear RH side near the corner that I
                used to attach a stubby handle to rotate the toolpost as req'd.

                I got mine from CDCO and was very pleased. After years and years of using
                the traditional lantern rocker set-up I was VERY pleased with the upgrade.

                L8r,
                L.H. Garlinghouse
                Deep in the Southern Ozarks where the Fall leaves make it all worthwhile.

                ----------
                Sat Nov 3, 2012 1:40 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Richard Marchi" marchirichard
                I bought the CDCO wedge type AXA for my 10F. The "T" nut was the correct
                thickness, but too wide to fit the slot, so I used a hack saw and file to
                cut it down to the right width. My compound casting had a "hump" that
                prevented the holder base from seating. Fortunately, I have a mill and was
                able to mill the flat on the compound back enough to seat the AXA. You
                should check on that for your situation.
                I am quite happy with the operation of the CDCO tool post. However, in many
                one-off situations using a lantern tool post is just as fast and probably
                easier to set up since the tool angle and height can be set at the same
                time. If you're doing multiple pieces, the QC wins by a lot.
              • Charles
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 5, 2012
                  I understand your point of view, and I will admit I have a QCTP on my big lathe,
                  but I keep in mind that the lantern toolpost served in two world wars and for
                  several apollo missions so it is capable of turning out precision work at
                  production speeds. Turret style posts were advertised in tool catalogs since at
                  least the 1800s but it wasn't til the advent of cheap carbide that they
                  disappeared I don't think. I keep a number around and use them still.

                  Charles