[atlas_craftsman] Re: re: Tool Bit Help

  • Ronald Thibault
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 2:52 AM
      At 02:34 PM 6/30/99 MDT, you wrote:
      >Ron:
      >
      >One of the Fine Woodworking books (Making Machinery & Tools, I think)
      >treats this from a different angle. The problem there is to generate a
      >molding head cutter with a particular shape. Most of these heads have the
      >cutters mounted at an angle to the axis of rotation/wood to be cut. The
      >same techniques used to generate a particular shape should work for lathe
      >bit contour work. If you would like, I could find the article, and give
      >you further details.
      >
      >Good luck

      Lynn;
      I'd appreciate that!

      Ronald Thibault
      North Augusta, SC USA

      Builder Miinie #2
      Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
      http://members.toast.net/thibault/

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman
    • Lynn Chidester
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6 9:49 AM
        Ron:

        I found the book, and as usual, I got the title wrong. "Fine Woodworking
        on Making and Modifying Machines" by Taunton Press, ISBN 0-918804-43-4. I
        got my copy at the local supplier of hardwoods for our woodworking
        "cousins". The statement which to me was the most informative was that the
        shaper knifes are mounted on a chord of the shaper head cutter, (rather
        than a radius), and so the knife profile will not match the cut profile. I
        believe (since toolbits have some top relief, akin to the angle at which
        the shaper knife contact the wood) the same applies for metal lathe contour
        work, and so similar techniques should work. Get the book, and check out
        the sidebar/diagram on page 73. If you use the same geometric construction
        techniques, and translate: contact angle=side rake angle, clearance
        angle=side relief angle, you should be able to create whatever contour you
        wish. The side cutting edge angle, end cutting edge angle, and end relief
        angle(s) on metal lathe bits do complicate things somewhat.

        Good luck!
        Lynn
        -------------
        Original Text

        From: Ronald Thibault <thibault@...>, on 6/21/99 6:19 PM:
        I have a question. I know that if you grind a curve in the tool
        bit
        (looking from the top) it will cut that radius only if the top is left
        unground, and the curve cut if top clearance (I think that's the term) is
        ground in will be different from the original curve ground in the side.
        My question is: Will the resulting machined curve in the workpiece
        be of a larger or smaller radius than the original curve of the toolbit,
        without the top clearance?

        Ronald Thibault
        North Augusta, SC USA

        Builder Miinie #2
        Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
        http://members.toast.net/thibault/

        Don't let the next virus knock you out! Special Offer to eGroups members
        Install @Backup by June 30th and win a $100 Gift Certificate from Amazon
        .com and @Backup free for a year! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/363

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman

        Varian X-Ray Tube Products
        with locations in Illinois, South Carolina, and Utah

        FreeShop is the #1 place for free and trial offers and great deals!
        Try something new and discover more ways to save!
        http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/381

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9 1:14 AM
          At 10:49 AM 7/6/99 MDT, you wrote:
          >Ron:
          >
          >I found the book, and as usual, I got the title wrong. "Fine Woodworking
          >on Making and Modifying Machines" by Taunton Press, ISBN 0-918804-43-4. I
          >got my copy at the local supplier of hardwoods for our woodworking
          >"cousins". The statement which to me was the most informative was that the
          >shaper knifes are mounted on a chord of the shaper head cutter, (rather
          >than a radius), and so the knife profile will not match the cut profile. I
          >believe (since toolbits have some top relief, akin to the angle at which
          >the shaper knife contact the wood) the same applies for metal lathe contour
          >work, and so similar techniques should work. Get the book, and check out
          >the sidebar/diagram on page 73. If you use the same geometric construction
          >techniques, and translate: contact angle=side rake angle, clearance
          >angle=side relief angle, you should be able to create whatever contour you
          >wish. The side cutting edge angle, end cutting edge angle, and end relief
          >angle(s) on metal lathe bits do complicate things somewhat.
          >
          >Good luck!
          >Lynn

          Lynn;
          Thanks for the help, I'll look the book up! Thanks also to the
          other people who helped me with information on my question!