Re: Reversing direction on Atlas/Craftsman

  • dws
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 2, 2012
      The big answer, not all lathe operations involve a chuck. There are collets, and there are center-to-center techniques, both of which are usually preferred to a chuck for precision work.

      In fact, a self-centering chuck must be thought of as a crude tool.

      The little answer, you can reverse a chuck, up to a torque point. It's commonly done when "running the carriage back", for example.

      dws

      what is the point of having the reversing switch if you can't work in reverse? On a slightly related note, Is there a fix or modification to keep the chuck in place? I have an idea or two along those lines but dont know how feasible it would be.

      > Thanks
      > Scott

    • xlpilot
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2, 2012
        Two cases I can think of, and I am sure there are more:

        One is winding a coil spring in either direction. Another is if you want to cut a thread without using the split nut (threading dial). In that case, you can back the tool bit away and reverse the travel back to the starting end.

        Bot are likely to be slow speed operations, with no danger of spinning the chuck off.

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "yaeffinhoo" <yaeffinhoo@...> wrote:

        > So, I've heard over and over that you're not supposed to do cutting or other operations on the atlas/craftsman lathes in reverse because the threaded chuck might spin off. That's understandable, so I've been somewhat confused by the examples that I've seen with what appears to be an original equipment motor reversing switch....
        >
        > This might point out how much I don't know about lathe work, but what is the point of having the reversing switch if you can't work in reverse? On a slightly related note, Is there a fix or modification to keep the chuck in place? I have an idea or two along those lines but dont know how feasible it would be.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Scott

      • yaeffinhoo
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2, 2012
          " The big answer, not all lathe operations involve a chuck. There are collets, and there are center-to-center techniques, both of which are usually preferred to a chuck for precision work."

          Duh, I guess I should have known that intuitively! Long day and not enough experience.

          Next question, Is there any kind of practical or absolute hp max that I should think about while looking for a reversible direction motor? I've got a 2hp 3450 unit that I could use, but I'm afraid that especially after gearing it down to compensate for the rpm difference it would be way too much motor for the lathe...

          Thanks again
        • wa5cab@cs.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2012
            The machines in the 40's often came with 1/3 HP motors. 1/2 HP is probably
            adequate. Anything over 3/4 HP is over kill. Remember that speed
            regulation is not an important issue because all X, Y and Theta operations are
            driven from a common point. If one slows down, so do the other two and in exact
            proportion.

            The stock motor pulley is about as small a diameter as you would want to
            use for reasonable belt life. Your 2 HP 3450 RPM motor will output half the
            torque of a 2 HP 1750 RPM one. So "geared down" it would be the same as a 2
            HP 1750 RPM one, not a 4 HP one. But the small motor pulley would be
            undesirable and 2 HP is too large for the machine in any case. If you ever have a
            jam and something breaks, it will be whatever is at that time the hardest
            and most expensive to replace part on the machine (one of the many
            corollaries to Murphy's Law).

            Robert D

            In a message dated 07/02/2012 20:46:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
            yaeffinhoo@... writes:
            > " The big answer, not all lathe operations involve a chuck. There are
            > collets, and there are center-to-center techniques, both of which are usually
            > preferred to a chuck for precision work."
            > >

            > Duh, I guess I should have known that intuitively! Long day and not
            > enough experience.
            >
            > Next question, Is there any kind of practical or absolute hp max that I
            > should think about while looking for a reversible direction motor? I've got
            > a 2hp 3450 unit that I could use, but I'm afraid that especially after
            > gearing it down to compensate for the rpm difference it would be way too much
            > motor for the lathe...
            >
            > Thanks again

            Robert Downs - Houston

            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 2, 2012
              yaeffinhoo wrote:
              > So, I've heard over and over that you're not supposed to do cutting or other operations on the atlas/craftsman lathes in reverse because the threaded chuck might spin off. That's understandable, so I've been somewhat confused by the examples that I've seen with what appears to be an original equipment motor reversing switch....
              >
              > This might point out how much I don't know about lathe work, but what is the point of having the reversing switch if you can't work in reverse? On a slightly related note, Is there a fix or modification to keep the chuck in place? I have an idea or two along those lines but dont know how feasible it would be.

              You can't take heavy cuts in reverse. The alternating pressure around
              the spindle as
              it rotates will definitely loosen the chuck. But, when cutting oddball
              or metric threads,
              you have to back up the lathe without disengaging the threading half
              nuts, and the
              reverse is really useful for that. You need to loosen the belts,
              reverse the motor and
              then gently tighten the belt to avoid the starting jerk which could also
              loosen
              the chuck.

              Jon
            • Doc
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2012
                FWIW ..... " dont use reverse w/ a screw chuck " has been widely disemminated & provides an excuse for the lack of common sense in usage .
                ..bear in mind that screw on chucks were in industrial use for well ove a century before any different chuck mounting appeared .....increased speeds needed for , again , industrial machining w/ carbides necessitated the developement ....in 50 + years of HSM usage , i have never had a chuck SPIN OFF in reverse ......reverse is handy for threading AWAY from a shoulder so that the thread goes all the way to the shoulder w/out the fear of a jam up , also in instances provides a better "look see" when internal threading ..reverse is used in tool post grinding ....SPINDLE reverse is not used for threading w/ out the thrd dial ...the CARRIAGE IS reversed.....
                bump the chuck up against the shoulder if you are just putting on the chuck ( by hand , NOT under power .)
                stay in first & second speeds
                be sensible abt depth of cut ...( threading & grinding are done w/ VERY lite forces..)...you can even EXPERIMENT at LOW speed to see how deep a cut can be taken before chuck starts to move...
                stay w/ high speed tooling in spindle reverse ( you shud 95 % of the time anyway , atlas /crftsmn were NOT designed for carbide.) for it is sharper & less force needed to make it cut ....
                keep your bits sharp & stone them

                if you are chucking w/ a center on the outboard end ( AND youu tighten all up ) how can the chuck come OFF??????

                re HP ...manual calls of 1/2 hp on my crftsmn 12x36 .commercial .... older crftsmn lathes used 1/3 or 1/2 for heavy duty
                .(..that is a TRUE 1/2 hp ,namely 6-7 amps )...w/ the belts tight i have taken a hundred thou depth of cut in steel w/ out stalling .....
                ..trying to thinik how excess hp HURTS ...i guess if your belts are tight & you run the carriage into the chuck ( w/ out a shear pin or a slip clutch) , there will be one h--- of a wreck since the xcess hp will refuse to stop !!!! one of the nice things abt belt feed os you can keep them a tad slack for safety in the event of stupidity ....in a hurry 50 yrs ago i ran down to the basement & cranked up a 6x18 ...didnt tuck my tie in ,,,,& the chuck grabbed it ......i was abt 2 inches away from the chuck when i pulled back enuf to slip the belt long enuf to shut down ........i have a pic somewhere where on a high speed gearhead ,there is nothing left above his neck ( that is recognizable ) on some careless guy that got a sleeve caught ..
                .two things i have learned ..NO rings NO long sleeves /hair / loose shirts
                also never hand crank a tractor till you hav e put it in neutral ( i have know better for 60 years , but got carelss ..i jumped clear & the front tire ran over my left toe ...there were belly cultivators on it & had it knocked me down , it wud have gutted me..it always took abt 8 turns to start ....& i wud have seen it try to lurch formard ..& taken it out of gear ,....this time it started on the first pull !!!!.....most catastrofic things require a combination of events to occur ....

                i guess you cud have some impossibly ignorant set up that wud stall a 1/2 hp mtr , but wud allow a 2hp to create wreck ???
                you might look at the amps & see how many it pulls ... plus/minus 12 amps / per hP is ususal .....today they rate mtrs w/ excessive HP
                why waste a true 2 hp mtr on an atlas crftsmn ?
                best wishes
                doc

                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 2, 2012
                  ERROR ......spindle reverse IS used when threading w/ metric or w/ out the thrd dial on other than multiples of the lead screw pitch ......sorry ...aged brain making more mistakes daily

                • jerdal@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                    if the chuck is installed correctly, you should be fine reversing it without
                    all the fol-de-rol of loosen. tighten, etc.

                    Just put in reverse and start up.... if it DOES come loose, stop and put it
                    right, 'cause you didn't the first time..

                    JT
                    > you have to back up the lathe without disengaging the threading half
                    > nuts, and the
                    > reverse is really useful for that. You need to loosen the belts,
                    > reverse the motor and
                    > then gently tighten the belt to avoid the starting jerk which could also
                    > loosen
                    > the chuck.
                    >
                    > Jon
                  • yaeffinhoo
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                      Oof, information overload.... Thanks for all the help everybody. In a way you've done me a favor. Since I don't have an adequate motor handy I'll probably set this project aside for the time being and concentrate on things that I really need to get done instead :) For what its worth, the original 1/3 hp motor on it and it works just fine so I'll probably just keep my eye open for a 1/2 or 3/4 hp reversible motor (probably easier to find than a 1/3 hp anyway).

                      Musing on things a little more, I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried to make a locking mechanism for a threaded chuck to prevent the possibility of spin off. I can think of a couple ways to do it. Not sure if they'd be feasible or not and I wouldn't try it myself anyway. But it makes for a good mental exercise... The first idea comes straight from my reloading experience where the lock rings are held in place on the dies with a simple set screw that has a piece of lead shot underneath it to protect the threads and act like a brake. The second idea would be a bit more complex but would involve grinding a detent in the spindle and installing a matching detent ball in the chuck under a spring with a set screw to add/remove tension (resulting in something like a ratchet handle lock mechanism). To keep the lead/detent ball in place in either one, you'd need a stepped or conical hole in the chuck....

                      Like I said, not something I'd try without substantial need since I really don't want to drill and tap either of my chucks, but fun to think about anyway.

                      Thanks again for all the help guys.
                      Scott

                      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Doc <n8as1@...> wrote:

                      > ERROR ......spindle reverse IS used when threading w/ metric or w/ out the thrd dial on other than multiples of the lead screw pitch ......sorry ...aged brain making more mistakes daily
                      > doc

                    • Carvel Webb
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                        Hi Scott ,

                        Firstly I have never had the chuck come loose on my Atlas , but reversing
                        has been limited to slow speeds during Metric threading operations .

                        The way Emco / Maximat did it on the V10-P was to cut 4 thin slits in the
                        threaded portion of the back plate , which is then clamped with a concentric
                        ring - almost like a collet chuck ,

                        Regards,

                        Carvel

                        Oof, information overload.... Thanks for all the help everybody. In a way
                        you've done me a favor. Since I don't have an adequate motor handy I'll
                        probably set this project aside for the time being and concentrate on things
                        that I really need to get done instead :) For what its worth, the original
                        1/3 hp motor on it and it works just fine so I'll probably just keep my eye
                        open for a 1/2 or 3/4 hp reversible motor (probably easier to find than a
                        1/3 hp anyway).

                        Musing on things a little more, I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried to
                        make a locking mechanism for a threaded chuck to prevent the possibility of
                        spin off. I can think of a couple ways to do it. Not sure if they'd be
                        feasible or not and I wouldn't try it myself anyway. But it makes for a
                        good mental exercise... The first idea comes straight from my reloading
                        experience where the lock rings are held in place on the dies with a simple
                        set screw that has a piece of lead shot underneath it to protect the threads
                        and act like a brake. The second idea would be a bit more complex but would
                        involve grinding a detent in the spindle and installing a matching detent
                        ball in the chuck under a spring with a set screw to add/remove tension
                        (resulting in something like a ratchet handle lock mechanism). To keep the
                        lead/detent ball in place in either one, you'd need a stepped or conical
                        hole in the chuck....

                        Like I said, not something I'd try without substantial need since I really
                        don't want to drill and tap either of my chucks, but fun to think about
                        anyway.

                        Thanks again for all the help guys.
                        Scott

                        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Doc <n8as1@...> wrote:

                        > ERROR ......spindle reverse IS used when threading w/ metric or
                        > w/ out the thrd dial on other than multiples of the lead screw
                        > pitch ......sorry ...aged brain making more mistakes daily doc

                        The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
                        http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                        Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
                        mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
                      • inspiro_creo
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                          Scott,

                          Fwiw, if you're interested, I have a new old stock 1/2hp capacitar start GE electric motor. I paid $100 for it and since then aquired a Baldor motor of the same specs.

                        • dws
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                            > For what its worth, the original 1/3 hp motor on it and it works just >fine so I'll probably just keep my eye open for a 1/2 or 3/4 hp >reversible motor (probably easier to find than a 1/3 hp anyway).

                            I have a 9" SB which the prior owner put a 1HP motor on. It works fine, but...there is no way I can use the power. No way at all.

                            The first thing to go is belt torque transmission. They just can't hold much harder than what you can get out of 1/3 HP (that's where mine limits power). But if you fixed that, you encounter the bigger problem yet. The machine is not rigid enough for significantly increased torque.

                            If you were to put a 1HP motor, with chain drive, onto an 10" Atlas, put it in low gear, and head into a 1/8" cut of stainless, you would first notice chatter. Or you would first notice a broken gear housing. Or something else which just wasn't up to the torque.

                            It's just not a workable idea.

                            The only reason you might need more power anyway is to increase the flow of blue chips when you're hogging. Sure, we've all been frustrated when it hits home that "you can cut that on an Atlas, but it will take about six hours".

                            But that's reality. An Atlas lathe can be moved by hand, and by two people even mounted. A legitimate 1HP lathe weighs in the 1000 lb range. Think 1000 lb per HP. There's the tradeoff.

                            dws
                          • inspiro_creo
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                              Scott,

                            • wa5cab@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                                I will add (not related to HP), that if you know what you are doing and if
                                the motor isn't a sealed unit that you can't disassemble, most if not all
                                single phase capacitor start motor can be rewired for external reversing.
                                What you have to do is locate, identify and bring out the two leads for the run
                                winding and the two leads for the start winding plus centrifugal switch
                                plus start capacitor. And wire them correctly to the FWD-OFF-REV switch.

                                Robert D.

                                In a message dated 07/03/2012 11:11:06 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                david.deboize@... writes:
                                > Scott,
                                >
                                > Fwiw, if you're interested, I have a new old stock 1/2hp capacitar start
                                > GE electric motor. I paid $100 for it and since then aquired a Baldor
                                > motor of the same specs.
                                >
                                > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "yaeffinhoo" <yaeffinhoo@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > >Oof, information overload.... Thanks for all the help everybody. In a
                                > way you've done me a favor. Since I don't have an adequate motor handy I'll
                                > probably set this project aside for the time being and concentrate on
                                > things that I really need to get done instead :) For what its worth, the
                                > original 1/3 hp motor on it and it works just fine so I'll probably just keep my
                                > eye open for a 1/2 or 3/4 hp reversible motor (probably easier to find
                                > than a 1/3 hp anyway).
                                > >
                                > >Musing on things a little more, I'm wondering if anybody has ever tried
                                > to make a locking mechanism for a threaded chuck to prevent the possibility
                                > of spin off. I can think of a couple ways to do it. Not sure if they'd be
                                > feasible or not and I wouldn't try it myself anyway. But it makes for a
                                > good mental exercise... The first idea comes straight from my reloading
                                > experience where the lock rings are held in place on the dies with a simple
                                > set screw that has a piece of lead shot underneath it to protect the threads
                                > and act like a brake. The second idea would be a bit more complex but
                                > would involve grinding a detent in the spindle and installing a matching detent
                                > ball in the chuck under a spring with a set screw to add/remove tension
                                > (resulting in something like a ratchet handle lock mechanism). To keep the
                                > lead/detent ball in place in either one, you'd need a stepped or conical
                                > hole in the chuck....
                                > >
                                > >Like I said, not something I'd try without substantial need since I
                                > really don't want to drill and tap either of my chucks, but fun to think about
                                > anyway.
                                > >
                                > >Thanks again for all the help guys.
                                > >Scott
                                > >
                                > >--- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Doc <n8as1@> wrote:
                                > >>

                                > >>ERROR ......spindle reverse IS used when threading w/ metric or w/
                                > out the thrd dial on other than multiples of the lead screw pitch
                                > ......sorry ...aged brain making more mistakes daily
                                > >> doc

                                Robert Downs - Houston

                              • yaeffinhoo
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                                  Thanks Robert, I'm a pretty good hand at most things, but am constantly afraid of letting the smoke out of my electric and electronic toys and tools. I'm one of those "know just enough to be dangerous" guys on that front.... Luckily my father and little brother are both EE's so I have good help when I need it. I'll have to check to see if one of my 1/2 hp motors is a cap start (I've got several that are non-capacitor units). If it is I might just see about converting it...

                                • wa5cab@cs.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 3, 2012
                                    All right. Assuming that you don't mean that most of your motors are
                                    3-phase, most single phase motors are reversible. I just assumed you were
                                    talking about a capacitor start one as since WW-II the majority built have been of
                                    that type. .Unless they are smaller than 1/4 HP. Split phase motors were
                                    common before WW-II and are reversed the same was as capacitor start types.
                                    But their starting torque is typically lower than from the capacitor start
                                    ones so when technology improved enough to build small and sufficiently
                                    reliable capacitors, that type took over the market.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 4, 2012
                                      Yep, I looked at them and most of the motors I have on the shelf are cap start units after all. I was thrown a little bit by the lack of the external capacitor housing on some of them (these being the craftsman motors which must have the capacitor mounted internally.)Actually, the only non-cap motor I have is a 1.5 hp dual speed unit off an old pool pump. I think I'm in good shape in terms of being able to upgrade the motor after all. That means I just need to order the switch and figure out the wiring in my spare time. :)

                                    • wa5cab@cs.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 4, 2012
                                        OK. If you have that many, unless they all came out of the same
                                        application, some may already be wired for reversing.

                                        In a message dated 07/04/2012 21:01:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                        yaeffinhoo@... writes:
                                        > Yep, I looked at them and most of the motors I have on the shelf are cap
                                        > start units after all. I was thrown a little bit by the lack of the
                                        > external capacitor housing on some of them (these being the craftsman motors
                                        > which must have the capacitor mounted internally.)Actually, the only non-cap
                                        > motor I have is a 1.5 hp dual speed unit off an old pool pump. I think I'm
                                        > in good shape in terms of being able to upgrade the motor after all. That
                                        > means I just need to order the switch and figure out the wiring in my spare
                                        > time. :)
                                        >
                                        > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >All right. Assuming that you don't mean that most of your motors are
                                        > >3-phase, most single phase motors are reversible. I just assumed you
                                        > were
                                        > >talking about a capacitor start one as since WW-II the majority built
                                        > have been of
                                        > >that type. .Unless they are smaller than 1/4 HP. Split phase motors were
                                        >
                                        > >common before WW-II and are reversed the same was as capacitor start
                                        > types.
                                        > >But their starting torque is typically lower than from the capacitor
                                        > start
                                        > >ones so when technology improved enough to build small and sufficiently
                                        > >reliable capacitors, that type took over the market.
                                        > >
                                        > >In a message dated 07/03/2012 16:10:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                        > >yaeffinhoo@... writes:
                                        > >>Thanks Robert, I'm a pretty good hand at most things, but am constantly
                                        > >>afraid of letting the smoke out of my electric and electronic toys and
                                        > >>tools. I'm one of those "know just enough to be dangerous" guys on that
                                        >
                                        > >>front.... Luckily my father and little brother are both EE's so I have
                                        > good help
                                        > >>when I need it. I'll have to check to see if one of my 1/2 hp motors is
                                        > >>cap start (I've got several that are non-capacitor units). If it is I
                                        > might
                                        > >>just see about converting it...
                                        > >>

                                        > >Robert Downs - Houston
                                        > >wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
                                        > >MVPA 9480

                                        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston

                                      • yaeffinhoo
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 5, 2012
                                          Tags don't indicate that they're reversible, but maybe when I pull one of them apart I'll find out differently. That would be nice anyway...

                                        • wa5cab@cs.com
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 5, 2012
                                            A lot of capacitor start motors are built so that the run either CW or CCW
                                            it you hook up two wires to them, for use with specific types of equipment
                                            that generally don't need to run in reverse, like a bench grinder, band saw
                                            or a table saw. Motors built for universal rather than specific applications
                                            will have all four wires run out. But they are perhaps in the minority as
                                            manufacturers supplying outfits like Sears will do special runs of motors
                                            for one model or model group of equipment Given the low technical
                                            capabilities of the general populace today as opposed to half a century ago, and their
                                            propensity to sue at the drop of a hat, this is unfortunately
                                            understandable.

                                            But as I wrote earlier, if you can get at and ID the wires, any capacitor
                                            start motor is reversible. The nature of the design requirements ensures
                                            this. A start winding cannot be in series with a run winding. It will be in
                                            series with the start capacitor and the centrifugal switch. The run winding
                                            will not.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 6, 2012
                                              Thanks again.
                                              I'm going to be spending the weekend doing framing and gas line work so no chance of starting on this right away, but do I just need to reverse the polarity of the run winding, or of both the start and run windings?

                                            • Scott Henion
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 6, 2012
                                                On 7/6/2012 12:22 PM, yaeffinhoo wrote:
                                                > Thanks again.
                                                > I'm going to be spending the weekend doing framing and gas line work so no chance of starting on this right away, but do I just need to reverse the polarity of the run winding, or of both the start and run windings?

                                                Just the start winding, or just the run winding, not both. It is the
                                                relative polarity of the two that determines the direction.

                                                I might mention, this is also a chance to upgrade to a VFD and 3-phase
                                                motor or a DC motor like one from a treadmill.

                                                I use reverse on mine for metric threads but I use the variable speed of
                                                my VFD much more often. The VFD has ramp up and ramp down that makes
                                                reversing nice (I can change directions when it is running and the VFD,
                                                slows to a stop and automatically restarts the opposite direction.

                                                Nice to not change pulley settings often with variable speed.

                                                --

                                                ------------------------------------
                                                Scott G. Henion
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 6, 2012
                                                  Either one, but not both. If you switch both, the motor will continue to
                                                  run in the same direction. Traditionally, the switching is done to the
                                                  series combination of start winding, centrifugal switch and starting capacitor.
                                                  But in practice, it works as well if you swap ends with the run winding
                                                  instead.

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 6, 2012
                                                    yaeffinhoo wrote:
                                                    > Thanks again.
                                                    > I'm going to be spending the weekend doing framing and gas line work so no chance of starting on this right away, but do I just need to reverse the polarity of the run winding, or of both the start and run windings?

                                                    No, it is reversing the polarity of one winding with respect to the
                                                    other that makes
                                                    it run the other way. Reversing both will just make it run the same way.

                                                    Jon
                                                  • yaeffinhoo
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 7, 2012
                                                      I've seen your vfd setup Scott, If I had one sitting around I'd do it. But at the moment I have a few friends who are bigger scavengers than I am on the lookout for both a vfd and a decent treadmill motor.

                                                      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Scott Henion <shenion@...> wrote:

                                                      > On 7/6/2012 12:22 PM, yaeffinhoo wrote:
                                                      > > Thanks again.
                                                      > > I'm going to be spending the weekend doing framing and gas line work so no chance of starting on this right away, but do I just need to reverse the polarity of the run winding, or of both the start and run windings?
                                                      >
                                                      > Just the start winding, or just the run winding, not both. It is the
                                                      > relative polarity of the two that determines the direction.
                                                      >
                                                      > I might mention, this is also a chance to upgrade to a VFD and 3-phase
                                                      > motor or a DC motor like one from a treadmill.
                                                      >
                                                      > I use reverse on mine for metric threads but I use the variable speed of
                                                      > my VFD much more often. The VFD has ramp up and ramp down that makes
                                                      > reversing nice (I can change directions when it is running and the VFD,
                                                      > slows to a stop and automatically restarts the opposite direction.
                                                      >
                                                      > Nice to not change pulley settings often with variable speed.
                                                      >
                                                      > --

                                                      > Scott G. Henion
                                                      > Craftsman 12x36 lathe:
                                                      > http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36

                                                    • yaeffinhoo
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jul 7, 2012
                                                        Well, the county permit dept slowed my gas line work down so tonight I started playing with those motors again. First thing I noticed under the fluorescent lights (vs sunlight) was a very faded sentence on the corner of the tag for the motor I was planning to use... "to reverse rotation, switch wires 5 & 8".... :) My life just got easier!

                                                        Thanks again for all the advice and assitance guys. Learned something new even if I didn't get to use it.

                                                        Scott