Lathe bed resurfaced

  • Jim Wight
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2012
      I picked up my lathe bed from commerce Grinding yesterday they done a nice job The ways look
      almost polished they sure look good. My lathe is a atlas Craftsman 101.07403 , bed is 42 inch they
      charged me 250. for grinding and a little over 20. tax I thought that was reasonable. Thought there
      might be some of you that would like to know. This is the man to get in touch with
      Matt Johnson

      Shop Manager

      Lodor Enterprises, Inc.

      dba: Commerce Grinding, Co

      600 W. Commerce St.

      Dallas, TX 75208

      (214) 651-1977

      (214) 651-8754-FAX

      (Matt@... )

      Thanks all

      Jim Wight In the Colony, TX

    • illinoisbob1
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
        Did they grind the under side of the saddle to match or was the
        amount small enough changing shim thickness is enough?
        I did my late model 12x36 I had to grind the saddle bottom too,
        For the time I spent on the 54 inch bed and saddle I wouldn't
        do it for 250 unless the money was going direct into my pocket.
        The saddle was fairly easy though.You can get an idea how the ways
        looked after grinding here
        http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1128990/or/421156915/name/lathe1+002.JPG
        Bob

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
          illinoisbob1 wrote:
          > Did they grind the under side of the saddle to match or was the
          > amount small enough changing shim thickness is enough?
          You can actually hand scrape the bottom of the saddle fairly quickly, even
          with homemade tools. You use the lathe bed as a master, apply a VERY thin
          coating of spotting dye and scrape off the places where the dye
          transfers to the
          saddle. Hand scrapers can be made from old files, or you can get
          rectangular
          carbide cutter inserts for a couple $ and braze them to suitable handles.

          Hand scraping will get you the widest contact area.

          Jon
        • illinoisbob1
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
            Jon hand scraping the saddle to match the bed is fine but my
            real concern was what Atlas calls the bearing plates that the
            3 screws(each) bolt to the bottom of the saddle would be loose
            to the way thickness.I believe theres about .009 of shimming
            in there to adjust for wear.So if .015 is removed from the
            ways when grinding you have a problem.
            Of course the can be hand scraped too but its a lot easier to take
            care of in the grinding process.
            Bob

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

            > illinoisbob1 wrote:
            > > Did they grind the under side of the saddle to match or was the
            > > amount small enough changing shim thickness is enough?
            > You can actually hand scrape the bottom of the saddle fairly quickly, even
            > with homemade tools. You use the lathe bed as a master, apply a VERY thin
            > coating of spotting dye and scrape off the places where the dye
            > transfers to the
            > saddle. Hand scrapers can be made from old files, or you can get
            > rectangular
            > carbide cutter inserts for a couple $ and braze them to suitable handles.
            >
            > Hand scraping will get you the widest contact area.
            >
            > Jon

          • Jim Wight
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
              Yes it turned out that way, didn't have to grind the underside. Now if I can remember how to put it back togather ha ha.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                illinoisbob1 wrote:
                > Jon hand scraping the saddle to match the bed is fine but my
                > real concern was what Atlas calls the bearing plates that the
                > 3 screws(each) bolt to the bottom of the saddle would be loose
                > to the way thickness.I believe theres about .009 of shimming
                > in there to adjust for wear.So if .015 is removed from the
                > ways when grinding you have a problem.
                > Of course the can be hand scraped too but its a lot easier to take
                > care of in the grinding process
                Well, the problem is how to accurately set up the upside-down saddle on the
                grinder. Maybe the narrow crossslide face would be accurately aligned,
                but there
                is no wide set of points to securely mount the saddle in that position.
                I'd be
                a bit worried it might shift on a magnetic chuck and make things worse,
                possibly
                even jump off the chuck and cause a catastrophe. An expert grinder would
                know whether this was safe or not, I'd be a bit worried.

                Jon
              • Guenther Paul
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                  If any  one needs a bed i will have one in a few days. I dont know the condition
                  of it yet it seamed ok from what i know.
                  If any one is interested PM me
                  GP

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                    Jon its not a problem it holds just fine on a mag chuck.
                    The surface is flat and mine indicated surprising well upside down.
                    I took .015 off it as I recall.
                    I have done a lot of surface grinding to die parts over the years.
                    This wasnt even close to making me nervous.
                    Bob

                    --- I

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                      illinoisbob1 wrote:
                      > Jon its not a problem it holds just fine on a mag chuck.
                      > The surface is flat and mine indicated surprising well upside down.
                      > I took .015 off it as I recall.
                      > I have done a lot of surface grinding to die parts over the years.
                      > This wasnt even close to making me nervous.

                      OK, I was worried that the upside down saddle was a lot wider than the part
                      that was on the mag chuck. Not having done surface grinding, that was
                      my concern.

                      Jon
                    • Russ Kepler
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 5, 2012
                        On Sunday, July 01, 2012 04:48:32 PM Jon Elson wrote:

                        > Well, the problem is how to accurately set up the upside-down saddle on the
                        > grinder. Maybe the narrow crossslide face would be accurately aligned,
                        > but there
                        > is no wide set of points to securely mount the saddle in that position.
                        > I'd be
                        > a bit worried it might shift on a magnetic chuck and make things worse,
                        > possibly
                        > even jump off the chuck and cause a catastrophe. An expert grinder would
                        > know whether this was safe or not, I'd be a bit worried.

                        When I had a lathe bed ground the grinder head was adjustable even to 90
                        degrees and could do a pass on the underside of the lathe bed. But in this
                        case it would be easier to scrape the underside parallel to the now flat top.