Re: [atlas_craftsman] Dial indicator

  • Rick Kruger
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
      Take a look at this,

      http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/MountedTDS2.jpg

      and the other photos in this directory:

      http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/

      This Trav-A-Dial is mounted on an Atlas 10x36 lathe. Don't know if this is
      what you saw, but it is good, older technology, I've been familiar with it
      for 30 years and still like it.

      Rick

      At 08:36 PM 12/31/00 -0600, you wrote:
      >At a friend's machine shop I saw a lathe that had a dial indicator that ran
      >on a wheel and ran against a way. This was he could control movement along
      >the way. Has anyone seen or have this type setup on an Atlas/craftsman
      >lathe? Anyone know where a person can purchase a dial indicator that runs on
      >a wheel?
      >
      >skip_evans@...
      >Alvin, Texas

    • Skip Evans
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
        Rick,
        This is exaclty what I am looking for unless you have a better idea. In
        the selection of photos you sent me to there is one pic showing three
        objects; The machined mount, something with a screw, and the Trav-a-dial.
        What is the middle device (something with a screw)?

        skip_evans@...
        Alvin, Texas

        >Take a look at this,
        >
        >http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/MountedTDS2.jpg
        >
        >and the other photos in this directory:
        >
        >http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/
        >
        >This Trav-A-Dial is mounted on an Atlas 10x36 lathe. Don't know if this is
        >what you saw, but it is good, older technology, I've been familiar with it
        >for 30 years and still like it.
        >
        >Rick
        >

        >At 08:36 PM 12/31/00 -0600, you wrote:
        > >At a friend's machine shop I saw a lathe that had a dial indicator that
        >ran
        > >on a wheel and ran against a way. This was he could control movement
        >along
        > >the way. Has anyone seen or have this type setup on an Atlas/craftsman
        > >lathe? Anyone know where a person can purchase a dial indicator that runs
        >on
        > >a wheel?
        > >
        > >skip_evans@...
        > >Alvin, Texas
        > >

        >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
        >You do this yourself by sending a message to:

      • Marty Escarcega
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
          Alternatively, some folks have made a mount for a long travel 2-3"
          dial indicator that mount on the bed of the lathe and indicate off the
          carriage, or used magnetic mounts. This can be adapted to the top
          slide as well.

          Marty

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
            If you are talking about the middle item in the "PartsS.jpg" image, that is
            the mount for the Trav-A-Dial. The TAD slides into the mount, sort of on
            dovetails and the "screw" you mention is a knob that rotates a short arm
            over the end of the TAD, screws inward to apply the high pressure to force
            the wheel firmly against the way. You can see the TAD mount, mounted on
            the Alum bracked in "ClampS.jpg"

            Marty's TAD on auction at eBay look to be newer than mine or something as
            they seem to be on different types of mounts.

            If this hasn't answered your question, ask again.

            Rick

            At 09:54 AM 1/1/01 -0600, you wrote:
            >Rick,
            > This is exaclty what I am looking for unless you have a better idea. In
            >the selection of photos you sent me to there is one pic showing three
            >objects; The machined mount, something with a screw, and the Trav-a-dial.
            >What is the middle device (something with a screw)?
            >
            >skip_evans@...
            >Alvin, Texas
            >

            > >Take a look at this,
            > >
            > >http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/MountedTDS2.jpg
            > >
            > >and the other photos in this directory:
            > >
            > >http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/
            > >
            > >This Trav-A-Dial is mounted on an Atlas 10x36 lathe. Don't know if this is
            > >what you saw, but it is good, older technology, I've been familiar with it
            > >for 30 years and still like it.
            > >
            > >Rick
            > >

            > >At 08:36 PM 12/31/00 -0600, you wrote:
            > > >At a friend's machine shop I saw a lathe that had a dial indicator that
            > >ran
            > > >on a wheel and ran against a way. This was he could control movement
            > >along
            > > >the way. Has anyone seen or have this type setup on an Atlas/craftsman
            > > >lathe? Anyone know where a person can purchase a dial indicator that runs
            > >on
            > > >a wheel?
            > > >
            > > >skip_evans@...
            > > >Alvin, Texas
            > > >

            > >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
            > >You do this yourself by sending a message to:

          • Ronald Thibault
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
              At 11:37 PM 12/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
              >Skip-I bought from MSC a thing called a "Mighty Mag". It's a magnet
              >w/mounting lugs for a dial indicator. I fastened a piece of 1/8X1/2 strap
              >about 1" long to the screw that holds the way wiper on the RH end of the
              >carriage on my 12". Stick the mag. w/a 1" travel indicator to the bed & the
              >plunger bears against the strap, giving a very accurate measure of travel (in
              >1" chunks). I've used it for cutting shoulders, grooves, & the like. Not
              >fancy, but OK for a poor boy. (a 2" travel ind. would sure be nice). HTH, Ron.

              Ron;
              Grizzly just started selling a 2" travel 0.001" increment dial
              indicator. It is $19.95 catalog # G9809. I plan to order one for my
              tailstock. I epoxied a plat on the top before I repainted it. One mag
              mount on indicator, instant depth indicator over full ram travel.

              Ron Thibault
              North Augusta, SC USA
              Builder Miinie #2
              Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
              http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
            • Skip Evans
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                Rick,
                thanks for the info. I will probably bid on the dails. Looks like what I
                need. I have looked at the DRO's that look like dial calipers but cannot
                figure out how to mount one.

                skip_evans@...
                Alvin, Tx

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                  That is for sure a good method, probably been used for a long time. I have
                  two travel indicators on magnetic bases, a 1" and a 2" that I will continue
                  to use on my 7x10 minilathe and on the cross feed of my Atlas 10" until I
                  get them fitted with DROs.

                  Travel dials are also quite handy for indicating work on the mill too. I
                  used a 2" TD over a 4" travel by rezeroing off of a Noga indicator holder:
                  http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/MiniMill/DI_Use/

                  Rick

                • michaelhenry@msn.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                    --- In atlas_craftsman@egroups.com, "Skip Evans" <skip_evans@h...>
                    wrote:
                    > At a friend's machine shop I saw a lathe that had a dial indicator
                    that ran
                    > on a wheel and ran against a way. This was he could control
                    movement along
                    > the way. Has anyone seen or have this type setup on an
                    Atlas/craftsman
                    > lathe? Anyone know where a person can purchase a dial indicator
                    that runs on
                    > a wheel?

                    Sounds like you are talking about a Trav-a-dial - they come up for
                    auction on eBay from time to time.
                  • George
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                      --- In atlas_craftsman@egroups.com, Rick Kruger <krugerr@e...> wrote:
                      > That is for sure a good method, probably been used for a long
                      time. I have
                      > two travel indicators on magnetic bases, a 1" and a 2" that I will
                      continue
                      > to use on my 7x10 minilathe and on the cross feed of my Atlas 10"
                      until I
                      > get them fitted with DROs.
                      >
                      > Travel dials are also quite handy for indicating work on the mill
                      too. I
                      > used a 2" TD over a 4" travel by rezeroing off of a Noga indicator
                      holder:
                      > http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/MiniMill/DI_Use/
                      >
                      > Rick

                      Rick
                      How do you like your MimiMill ? I am thinking of buying one soon and
                      would like some input from someone who has and uses one!
                      tia George Hunt
                    • Rick Kruger
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                        I like it fine for the money. It has done everything I've put to it so far
                        and it fits my basement shop nicely. The tilting column is a little too
                        flexible and doesn't have an adjustment for front/back alignment, but I'm
                        working on a fix for that. One thing about these Chinese machines is the
                        finishing of machined surfaces isn't as good as you might like, and so most
                        take a little "fixing" and fine tuning. That for me is part of the
                        fun. I've done a lot more to my minilathe than the mill. Matter of fact,
                        I've had it for nearly a year and made almost no improvements.

                        The graduated dials are kind of funky, just like the minilathe. Metric
                        feed screws and dials marked with 62 graduations. There is a handle
                        downfeed and a fine, dial downfeed that is twice what it
                        indicates. Someday I'll replace the metric feed screws and the graduated
                        dials with inch stuff, but first I'm going to put some DROs on all three
                        axes.

                        You should check into the 7x10 minilathe egroup. Many there have the
                        minimill and it gets discussed as much as the minilathe. You could do some
                        reading from the numerous previous posts, use the eGroup search feature or
                        use a search engine at one of the group member's site. URLs follow.

                        7x10 minilathe group
                        http://www.egroups.com/messages/7x10minilathe/
                        Login as a new member and ask your question to the group. You'll get a lot
                        of positive responses.

                        The egroup search feature is in the upper right above the messages.

                        Ty Hoeffer's search engine:
                        http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/search-egroups.html

                        There has been quite a bit of talk lately about the Mill/Drills and larger
                        mills. A few have them.

                        I would definitely get the Grizzly minimill rather than the Harbor
                        Freight. Samuel Machinery also offers a similar machine, one model with a
                        DRO option. Here is a URL to some images of their stuff.
                        http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/SamuelMachinery/

                        The URL provides some contact info but doesn't lead to a web site.
                        http://www.equip-mart.com/ads/215-627-6100.htm

                        This is kind of long winded and off topic for the Atlas group but it should
                        give you plenty of info on which to evaluate the machine. Email me offline
                        if you want to discuss it more.

                        Rick
                        krugerr @ easystreet.com

                      • wburn2000 <burner4@adelphia.net>
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 18 12:22 AM
                          I was able to put a pic of the bracket I made for the dial indicator
                          for my 10" in the picture section. The bracket is made from two three
                          inch long pieces of aluminum that we held together than a slot milled
                          down the middle just smaller than the way thickness.The pieces were
                          then matched drilled with two holes. One side was countersunk an
                          clearance drilled for the head of the allen screw, and the matching
                          side was tapped. The dial indicator had a rigid mount that was
                          perpendicular to the back of the body, a hole was drilled and tapped
                          for attatchment. It was fun and easy to make, and it works great.
                          Wayne(rice)Burner
                          At least another foot of snow to clean up today in S. NH