Re: [atlas_craftsman] Dial indicator

  • Rick Kruger
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2000
      One version of this sounds like a Trav-A-Dial. I have one on an Atlas
      10". There are two listed on eBay right now, opening bid, $25, which is
      pretty darn good if they go for anything close to that. I paid $75 for
      mine and was happy for it, and it isn't in as good a condition as those on
      auction.

      I'll post some pictures of my setup so you can get an idea of it.

      Basically, it is a continuously reading dial indicator with one graduated
      dial for 100 thousands and a more accurate, more typical "dial" for one
      thousandths (0.001"). It has a wheel that is pressed very hard against the
      way so the wheel doesn't slip at all. It generally mounts on the carriage
      where the threading dial mounts, often with mounting the threading dial
      onto the bracket that holds the Trav-A-Dial.

      See Marty's eBay auction items for images:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=534926114
      http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=534926464

      With all the DROs available today, the Trav-A-Dial may seem like old
      technology, but my experience is that they work really well. In my
      father's shop where there aren't DROs there are Trav-A-Dials and have been
      for 20 years or more, at least 4 lathes (X axis only) and one Bridgeport
      (both X and Y axes).

      I was lucky to get one for my Atlas. It took some major machining to make
      the mounting bracket, which in my case was done on a Bridgeport, not the
      kind of thing most of us have. It would take a lot more time (maybe a
      lot), but it is something I could do on my Grizzly MiniMill.

      I'll post again when the photos are uploaded somewhere.

      Happy New Year!

      Rick

      At 08:36 PM 12/31/00 -0600, you wrote:
      >At a friend's machine shop I saw a lathe that had a dial indicator that ran
      >on a wheel and ran against a way. This was he could control movement along
      >the way. Has anyone seen or have this type setup on an Atlas/craftsman
      >lathe? Anyone know where a person can purchase a dial indicator that runs on
      >a wheel?
      >
      >skip_evans@...
      >Alvin, Texas

    • Rick Kruger
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
        Take a look at this,

        http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/MountedTDS2.jpg

        and the other photos in this directory:

        http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/

        This Trav-A-Dial is mounted on an Atlas 10x36 lathe. Don't know if this is
        what you saw, but it is good, older technology, I've been familiar with it
        for 30 years and still like it.

        Rick

        At 08:36 PM 12/31/00 -0600, you wrote:
        >At a friend's machine shop I saw a lathe that had a dial indicator that ran
        >on a wheel and ran against a way. This was he could control movement along
        >the way. Has anyone seen or have this type setup on an Atlas/craftsman
        >lathe? Anyone know where a person can purchase a dial indicator that runs on
        >a wheel?
        >
        >skip_evans@...
        >Alvin, Texas

      • Skip Evans
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
          Rick,
          This is exaclty what I am looking for unless you have a better idea. In
          the selection of photos you sent me to there is one pic showing three
          objects; The machined mount, something with a screw, and the Trav-a-dial.
          What is the middle device (something with a screw)?

          skip_evans@...
          Alvin, Texas

          >Take a look at this,
          >
          >http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/MountedTDS2.jpg
          >
          >and the other photos in this directory:
          >
          >http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/
          >
          >This Trav-A-Dial is mounted on an Atlas 10x36 lathe. Don't know if this is
          >what you saw, but it is good, older technology, I've been familiar with it
          >for 30 years and still like it.
          >
          >Rick
          >

          >At 08:36 PM 12/31/00 -0600, you wrote:
          > >At a friend's machine shop I saw a lathe that had a dial indicator that
          >ran
          > >on a wheel and ran against a way. This was he could control movement
          >along
          > >the way. Has anyone seen or have this type setup on an Atlas/craftsman
          > >lathe? Anyone know where a person can purchase a dial indicator that runs
          >on
          > >a wheel?
          > >
          > >skip_evans@...
          > >Alvin, Texas
          > >

          >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
          >You do this yourself by sending a message to:

        • Marty Escarcega
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
            Alternatively, some folks have made a mount for a long travel 2-3"
            dial indicator that mount on the bed of the lathe and indicate off the
            carriage, or used magnetic mounts. This can be adapted to the top
            slide as well.

            Marty

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
              If you are talking about the middle item in the "PartsS.jpg" image, that is
              the mount for the Trav-A-Dial. The TAD slides into the mount, sort of on
              dovetails and the "screw" you mention is a knob that rotates a short arm
              over the end of the TAD, screws inward to apply the high pressure to force
              the wheel firmly against the way. You can see the TAD mount, mounted on
              the Alum bracked in "ClampS.jpg"

              Marty's TAD on auction at eBay look to be newer than mine or something as
              they seem to be on different types of mounts.

              If this hasn't answered your question, ask again.

              Rick

              At 09:54 AM 1/1/01 -0600, you wrote:
              >Rick,
              > This is exaclty what I am looking for unless you have a better idea. In
              >the selection of photos you sent me to there is one pic showing three
              >objects; The machined mount, something with a screw, and the Trav-a-dial.
              >What is the middle device (something with a screw)?
              >
              >skip_evans@...
              >Alvin, Texas
              >

              > >Take a look at this,
              > >
              > >http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/MountedTDS2.jpg
              > >
              > >and the other photos in this directory:
              > >
              > >http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/TravADial/
              > >
              > >This Trav-A-Dial is mounted on an Atlas 10x36 lathe. Don't know if this is
              > >what you saw, but it is good, older technology, I've been familiar with it
              > >for 30 years and still like it.
              > >
              > >Rick
              > >

              > >At 08:36 PM 12/31/00 -0600, you wrote:
              > > >At a friend's machine shop I saw a lathe that had a dial indicator that
              > >ran
              > > >on a wheel and ran against a way. This was he could control movement
              > >along
              > > >the way. Has anyone seen or have this type setup on an Atlas/craftsman
              > > >lathe? Anyone know where a person can purchase a dial indicator that runs
              > >on
              > > >a wheel?
              > > >
              > > >skip_evans@...
              > > >Alvin, Texas
              > > >

              > >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
              > >You do this yourself by sending a message to:

            • Ronald Thibault
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                At 11:37 PM 12/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
                >Skip-I bought from MSC a thing called a "Mighty Mag". It's a magnet
                >w/mounting lugs for a dial indicator. I fastened a piece of 1/8X1/2 strap
                >about 1" long to the screw that holds the way wiper on the RH end of the
                >carriage on my 12". Stick the mag. w/a 1" travel indicator to the bed & the
                >plunger bears against the strap, giving a very accurate measure of travel (in
                >1" chunks). I've used it for cutting shoulders, grooves, & the like. Not
                >fancy, but OK for a poor boy. (a 2" travel ind. would sure be nice). HTH, Ron.

                Ron;
                Grizzly just started selling a 2" travel 0.001" increment dial
                indicator. It is $19.95 catalog # G9809. I plan to order one for my
                tailstock. I epoxied a plat on the top before I repainted it. One mag
                mount on indicator, instant depth indicator over full ram travel.

                Ron Thibault
                North Augusta, SC USA
                Builder Miinie #2
                Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
                http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
              • Skip Evans
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                  Rick,
                  thanks for the info. I will probably bid on the dails. Looks like what I
                  need. I have looked at the DRO's that look like dial calipers but cannot
                  figure out how to mount one.

                  skip_evans@...
                  Alvin, Tx

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                    That is for sure a good method, probably been used for a long time. I have
                    two travel indicators on magnetic bases, a 1" and a 2" that I will continue
                    to use on my 7x10 minilathe and on the cross feed of my Atlas 10" until I
                    get them fitted with DROs.

                    Travel dials are also quite handy for indicating work on the mill too. I
                    used a 2" TD over a 4" travel by rezeroing off of a Noga indicator holder:
                    http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/MiniMill/DI_Use/

                    Rick

                  • michaelhenry@msn.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                      --- In atlas_craftsman@egroups.com, "Skip Evans" <skip_evans@h...>
                      wrote:
                      > At a friend's machine shop I saw a lathe that had a dial indicator
                      that ran
                      > on a wheel and ran against a way. This was he could control
                      movement along
                      > the way. Has anyone seen or have this type setup on an
                      Atlas/craftsman
                      > lathe? Anyone know where a person can purchase a dial indicator
                      that runs on
                      > a wheel?

                      Sounds like you are talking about a Trav-a-dial - they come up for
                      auction on eBay from time to time.
                    • George
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                        --- In atlas_craftsman@egroups.com, Rick Kruger <krugerr@e...> wrote:
                        > That is for sure a good method, probably been used for a long
                        time. I have
                        > two travel indicators on magnetic bases, a 1" and a 2" that I will
                        continue
                        > to use on my 7x10 minilathe and on the cross feed of my Atlas 10"
                        until I
                        > get them fitted with DROs.
                        >
                        > Travel dials are also quite handy for indicating work on the mill
                        too. I
                        > used a 2" TD over a 4" travel by rezeroing off of a Noga indicator
                        holder:
                        > http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/MiniMill/DI_Use/
                        >
                        > Rick

                        Rick
                        How do you like your MimiMill ? I am thinking of buying one soon and
                        would like some input from someone who has and uses one!
                        tia George Hunt
                      • Rick Kruger
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 1, 2001
                          I like it fine for the money. It has done everything I've put to it so far
                          and it fits my basement shop nicely. The tilting column is a little too
                          flexible and doesn't have an adjustment for front/back alignment, but I'm
                          working on a fix for that. One thing about these Chinese machines is the
                          finishing of machined surfaces isn't as good as you might like, and so most
                          take a little "fixing" and fine tuning. That for me is part of the
                          fun. I've done a lot more to my minilathe than the mill. Matter of fact,
                          I've had it for nearly a year and made almost no improvements.

                          The graduated dials are kind of funky, just like the minilathe. Metric
                          feed screws and dials marked with 62 graduations. There is a handle
                          downfeed and a fine, dial downfeed that is twice what it
                          indicates. Someday I'll replace the metric feed screws and the graduated
                          dials with inch stuff, but first I'm going to put some DROs on all three
                          axes.

                          You should check into the 7x10 minilathe egroup. Many there have the
                          minimill and it gets discussed as much as the minilathe. You could do some
                          reading from the numerous previous posts, use the eGroup search feature or
                          use a search engine at one of the group member's site. URLs follow.

                          7x10 minilathe group
                          http://www.egroups.com/messages/7x10minilathe/
                          Login as a new member and ask your question to the group. You'll get a lot
                          of positive responses.

                          The egroup search feature is in the upper right above the messages.

                          Ty Hoeffer's search engine:
                          http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/search-egroups.html

                          There has been quite a bit of talk lately about the Mill/Drills and larger
                          mills. A few have them.

                          I would definitely get the Grizzly minimill rather than the Harbor
                          Freight. Samuel Machinery also offers a similar machine, one model with a
                          DRO option. Here is a URL to some images of their stuff.
                          http://warhammer.mcc.virginia.edu/ty/7x10/vault/SamuelMachinery/

                          The URL provides some contact info but doesn't lead to a web site.
                          http://www.equip-mart.com/ads/215-627-6100.htm

                          This is kind of long winded and off topic for the Atlas group but it should
                          give you plenty of info on which to evaluate the machine. Email me offline
                          if you want to discuss it more.

                          Rick
                          krugerr @ easystreet.com

                        • wburn2000 <burner4@adelphia.net>
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 18, 2003
                            I was able to put a pic of the bracket I made for the dial indicator
                            for my 10" in the picture section. The bracket is made from two three
                            inch long pieces of aluminum that we held together than a slot milled
                            down the middle just smaller than the way thickness.The pieces were
                            then matched drilled with two holes. One side was countersunk an
                            clearance drilled for the head of the allen screw, and the matching
                            side was tapped. The dial indicator had a rigid mount that was
                            perpendicular to the back of the body, a hole was drilled and tapped
                            for attatchment. It was fun and easy to make, and it works great.
                            Wayne(rice)Burner
                            At least another foot of snow to clean up today in S. NH