Atlas QC54 small back gear on spindle

  • dwight_pollock
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2012
      In the photos section. Under :
      Duke's Restored Atlas 1024 Metal Lathe
      Original Atlas Cast Iron Legs and Quick Change Gears.
      Picture MVC-034S shows the spindle sheeves. The gear in the picture to the far left shows a gear that I am having some problems with. The gear has a collar that should hold the gear in close to the sheeve set. I can not move my collar in close enough to keep the two in constant contact with each other. It works fine when I don't use the back gears. Could I be missing shims that would fix this?

      Dwight
    • wa5cab@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2012
        Dwight,

        I don't recall anyone else replying to your post. The only 10" parts list
        I have is the 10 F-series but should in this area be the same. There are no
        shims shown. The only parts shown are the collar, small back gear and its
        bushing, and step pulley and its two bushings.

        There must be something that locks the small gear to the pulley but
        whatever it is, it isn't apparent in any of the drawings I looked at from the 10 F
        up through the 3996. In any case, if the collar can't be moved up against
        the gear with the gear touching the pulley, the only thing I can see that
        would cause this is either a burr or ridge on the spindle or the bushings have
        moved to the left, stopping the collar while it is still clear of the gear.
        I've never had my spindle out so don't know for certain whether the
        bushings are press or slip fits in the gear and pully. But I would assume press.

        Try moving the collar as far to the left as it will go and look down
        between it and the gear and check whether you can see the end of the gear's
        bushing stick out.

        In a message dated 03/07/2012 01:17:21 AM Central Standard Time,
        dwight_pollock@... writes:
        > In the photos section. Under :
        > Duke's Restored Atlas 1024 Metal Lathe
        > Original Atlas Cast Iron Legs and Quick Change Gears.
        > Picture MVC-034S shows the spindle sheeves. The gear in the picture to
        > the far left shows a gear that I am having some problems with. The gear has
        > a collar that should hold the gear in close to the sheeve set. I can not
        > move my collar in close enough to keep the two in constant contact with each
        > other. It works fine when I don't use the back gears. Could I be missing
        > shims that would fix this?
        >

        > Dwight

        Robert Downs - Houston