Re: Tool post rocker for a 10" Atlas lathe

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 61 , Mar 1, 2012
      Rex, I would make it exactly as you suggest. Compared to some of the other stuff we hobbyists make I still consider that project simple to the point of being stone age. When I first got my Atlas lathe in the l;ate 1970s I made a milling attachment by borowing one from a neighbor and copying every piece. We're not talking about inventing the rocker here, just copying one..

      You'd think that piece should be cheap on ebay but nothing is realistically priced there. It's the home of $35 lantern tool post wrenches, $60-80 motor pulleys, $550 QC boxes, etc.

      If I needed that rocker I'd cut it out of a scrap piece on my bandsaw and be done with it.

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Rexarino <rexarino@...> wrote:

      > Ray, not to pick a fight, but that "simple piece" isn't. It is essentially
      > a slice of a large sphere, with a radius cross section as well as a
      > lengthwise radius, cross-knurled on top, and hardened and tempered. Still,
      > he could make one with a file and Prussian blue, and skip the knurling and
      > hardening and tempering. It would work. A well constructed replacement
      > might arguably work better.
      >
      > Your offer of a profile would help quite a lot with making one!! So, to
      > make one, cut a pattern that fits Ray's profile or the radius of the
      > spherical washer that presumably one already has, then make an inverse
      > semicircle for fitting. Then shape a crescent of steel (tool steel if heat
      > treating is intended) slightly narrower than the slot in the tool post to
      > match the semicircular pattern, then shape the cross section of the
      > crescent to the same semicircle so that one gets a good register when
      > "blued" onto the washer. If one chooses, file cross hatching to
      > approximate knurling, and/or harden and temper. Voila, an item similar to
      > one that sold on ebay for less than $4 a couple weeks ago, but carries
      > ownership, pride and accomplishment.
      >
      > Rex
      >

      > On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Ray <ray.waldbaum@...> wrote:
      >
      > > n2irz, doesn't buying a simple metal crescent defeat the whole purpose of
      > > having a hobby machine shop at home? A sample to copy, a scrap of metal, a
      > > hacksaw or bandsaw and a file or bench grinder is all he needs to make one.
      > > If he doesn't have a sample to copy I'd be glad to trace the profile of
      > > one of those and email it to him.
      > >
      > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "n2irz" <baysale976@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Clausing sells them for a reasonable price
      > > >
      > > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "millarfarewell"

      > > toolpost rocker was missing. If anyone has one of these they want to sell,
      > > please contact me.

    • PaulV
      Message 61 of 61 , Mar 3, 2012

        > We're busy doing nothing, working the whole day through, trying to find lots of things not to do.........

        Reminds me of how my dad used to describe retirement: "I get up every morning with nothing to do, and when I go to bed at night, it isn't half done!"