Re: 12" Craftsman seems to cut at a taper- please help!

  • buickgsx455man
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
      I am thinking the bed is slightly twisted. I leveled it the best I can but I noticed that the wood it is sitting on it split and not totally flat. I am going to make a new thick maple top to bolt this all down to before I get too crazy with it. It makes a real nice cut but if I try to face the piece right in the middle of the work the cross slide skips so i need to tighten that up a bit too. I will revisit this in a week or two after I get the table top straightened out.
      Thanks!
      Bob

      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hughson <richughson@...> wrote:

      > Sounds like the rod may be bending away from your tool. Try making a second
      > pass at the same setting. Or feed the tool back out without resetting it.
      > Is your tool sharp?
      >
      > Rick H
      >
      > On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM, buickgsx455man <buickgsx455man@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I am just starting to play with my new to me 101.07403 12" Craftsman lathe
      > > and I started with a 1/2 inch piece of stainless rod. I took a few cuts out
      > > of it and measured the diameter. I have about 1.5" sticking out of the
      > > chuck and I turned 1" of it down. At the edge of the material its cutting
      > > .003 less than at 1" in from the edge. So I would have .243 at the edge and
      > > .240 1 inch in. This is happening repeatedly. What would cause this?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > Bob

    • Doc
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
        the sliop in th e x slide is most probably thee back lash fof the feed screw / feed nut ...abt 5 thou when new , it becomes more w/ wear.when you change direction there is movement before the slack is taken up ....in facing you must go beyond the center ,back up to remove the slack & then put the tool to the work & face out ......viz ..if you put a longitudinal cut of 30 thou on & decide you wasnt 5 tyou less , if you mave it out 5 thou , nothing happens , you must move it back more than the lash & then forward to 5 thou lessthan original
        all manual machines have some b/lash...not like ball screw CNC machines
        best wishes
        docn8as

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
          buickgsx455man wrote:
          > I am just starting to play with my new to me 101.07403 12" Craftsman lathe and I started with a 1/2 inch piece of stainless rod. I took a few cuts out of it and measured the diameter. I have about 1.5" sticking out of the chuck and I turned 1" of it down. At the edge of the material its cutting .003 less than at 1" in from the edge. So I would have .243 at the edge and .240 1 inch in. This is happening repeatedly. What would cause this?

          I can't say absolutely for sure, but this is getting into the range where
          workpiece deflection is likely. What you ought to do is put a
          piece of hardened and ground rod in the chuck and read it at
          different extensions with a dial indicator. (The haredend and ground
          stuff isn't necessary, but it usually is very smooth, straight and
          round, which makes doing this sort of testing easier). Zero
          the indicator and then run the carriage back and forth and see
          if there is a matching change in indicator reading. If you get
          a steady reading, then the problem is the cutting forces push the
          workpiece away, and this has greater effect the farther away from the
          chuck you get. If you get a similar change in reading, then bed wear,
          bed twist or just loose gibs are causing the problem.

          Jon
        • wa5cab@cs.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
            Bob,

            Despite what many insist, wood of any kind is a poor material for mounting
            a lathe. But if that's all you have, just be prepared to re-level
            periodically. Step one is to level the stand and bolt it down to a decent concrete
            slab. You can use a regular carpenters level, and shims under the four
            corners. Step two is to level the lathe bed. For this you need a precision
            level and again an assortment of shims. This is all explained in detail in the
            Manual of Lathe Operations, still available from Clausing. Step three is to
            adjust the tailstock so that its center coincides with the headstock
            center.

            With a steel stand or cabinet in an area not subject to tectonic activity
            or subsidence, you should be good for from one to five decades.

            In a message dated 03/01/2012 19:44:13 PM Central Standard Time,
            buickgsx455man@... writes:
            > I am thinking the bed is slightly twisted. I leveled it the best I can
            > but I noticed that the wood it is sitting on it split and not totally flat.
            > I am going to make a new thick maple top to bolt this all down to before I
            > get too crazy with it. It makes a real nice cut but if I try to face the
            > piece right in the middle of the work the cross slide skips so i need to
            > tighten that up a bit too. I will revisit this in a week or two after I get
            > the table top straightened out.
            > Thanks!
            > Bob
            >
            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hughson <richughson@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > >Sounds like the rod may be bending away from your tool. Try making a
            > second
            > >pass at the same setting. Or feed the tool back out without resetting it.
            > >Is your tool sharp?
            > >
            > >Rick H
            > >
            > >On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM, buickgsx455man <buickgsx455man@...>wrote:
            > >
            > >>**
            > >>

            > >>I am just starting to play with my new to me 101.07403 12" Craftsman
            > lathe
            > >>and I started with a 1/2 inch piece of stainless rod. I took a few cuts
            > out
            > >>of it and measured the diameter. I have about 1.5" sticking out of the
            > >>chuck and I turned 1" of it down. At the edge of the material its
            > cutting
            > >>.003 less than at 1" in from the edge. So I would have .243 at the edge
            > and
            > >>.240 1 inch in. This is happening repeatedly. What would cause this?
            > >>
            > >>Thanks!
            > >>Bob

            Robert & Susan Downs - Houston

          • Dallas Richardson
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
              Try a different king of material to turn... Stainless is not an easy material to turn...

              Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
              it's about learning to dance in the rain!..

              Dallas  IMAX 1340

              ________________________________
              Sounds like the rod may be bending away from your tool. Try making a second
              pass at the same setting. Or feed the tool back out without resetting it.
              Is your tool sharp?

              Rick H

              On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM, buickgsx455man <buickgsx455man@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I am just starting to play with my new to me 101.07403 12" Craftsman lathe
              > and I started with a 1/2 inch piece of stainless rod. I took a few cuts out
              > of it and measured the diameter. I have about 1.5" sticking out of the
              > chuck and I turned 1" of it down. At the edge of the material its cutting
              > .003 less than at 1" in from the edge. So I would have .243 at the edge and
              > .240 1 inch in. This is happening repeatedly. What would cause this?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Bob

              The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
              Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

            • Carvel Webb
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
                Stainless is also not the best stuff to start experimenting with - it can
                work harden if your cutting tip was less than satisfactory , and can spring
                away from the tool rather than cut ,

                Try some mild steel first ,

                Rgds,

                Carvel

                On 3/1/2012 7:27 PM, buickgsx455man wrote:
                > I am just starting to play with my new to me 101.07403 12" Craftsman
                lathe and I started with a 1/2 inch piece of stainless rod. I took a few
                cuts out of it and measured the diameter. I have about 1.5" sticking out of
                the chuck and I turned 1" of it down. At the edge of the material its
                cutting .003 less than at 1" in from the edge. So I would have .243 at the
                edge and .240 1 inch in. This is happening repeatedly. What would cause
                this?

                > Thanks!
                > Bob

                Have you leveled the bed?

                A twist in the bed will cause this.

                Could also be flex of the work. If you repeat the last past unchanged does
                the end get better?

                --

                ------------------------------------
                Scott G. Henion

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Work hardening can be a particular problem if you try to make a cleanup cut
                  by running the tool back over the previous pass without advancing it any.
                  The work hardened depth is typically only a few thousandths deep and not
                  very noticable if you take more than 0.010" per pass. But trying to take
                  0.001" or 0.002" may be impossible with some materials..

                  Robert

                  In a message dated 03/01/2012 23:55:11 PM Central Standard Time,
                  carvelw@... writes:
                  > Stainless is also not the best stuff to start experimenting with - it can
                  > work harden if your cutting tip was less than satisfactory , and can
                  > spring
                  > away from the tool rather than cut ,
                  >
                  > Try some mild steel first ,
                  >
                  > Rgds,