Re: [atlas_craftsman] Pictures of my new lathe.

  • Jeff G
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2012
      All my usual hardware stores have been a bust. The smallest ones in the
      rows of little drawers is just a touch two large.
      I went to my local salvage yard where you can get lost for hours looking
      thru the yards full of everything and they did have some which fit in the
      hole but they are smaller than I would like them to be.
      While there I did see some lamp pull chain, the kind made up of little
      balls, and they seem the right size kind of but made of soft metal and
      hollow, not sure if that would work but if so I have a lifetime supply now.
      Thanks
      JeffG

    • y999983
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2012
        That ball (M6-214) is 1/8" diameter. A good bicycle shop usually has lots of ball bearings in various sizes, so bring a caliper. They gave me mine.

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jeff G <Jeffgallop@...> wrote:

        > All my usual hardware stores have been a bust. The smallest ones in the
        > rows of little drawers is just a touch two large.
        > I went to my local salvage yard where you can get lost for hours looking
        > thru the yards full of everything and they did have some which fit in the
        > hole but they are smaller than I would like them to be.
        > While there I did see some lamp pull chain, the kind made up of little
        > balls, and they seem the right size kind of but made of soft metal and
        > hollow, not sure if that would work but if so I have a lifetime supply now.
        > Thanks
        > JeffG
        > On Feb 1, 2012 9:37 AM, "Guenther Paul" <paulguenter@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > You may go to a hard ware store and get i believe a 5/32 single ball and a
        > > 3/16
        > > spring. Messure the hole first. The spring is about a 1/2 long
        > >
        > > GP
        > >
        > > ________________________________

      • Jay Greer
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1, 2012
          I after measuring the hole, I did a search of various suppliers of springs and ball bearings in my area which is around Seattle. That was several years ago so I don't recall the name of the place.
          Jay

        • pdentrem@forterie.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 1, 2012
            Any bicycle shops in your area? Bikes use many sizes of BB and they are sold in singles in the shops around my area.

          • Robert Morris
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 1, 2012
              Hey Jay,

              I just pulled the compound off the carriage today and the majority of the slop was coming from the set screw being loose where it goes in and pinches the Nut. I did order new nuts from Clausing and expect them later this week or Monday. The other slop that I can see for now is just in the gaps between the chrome retainer piece and the handle. It seems like there could be a bit more detail in the area with regards to the thrust bearing design needed etc? I will look more as I go along but the majority was for sure cleaned up by just tighten the screw. The tail stock and motor received there Gucci treatment today so all that's left is the Carriage. I also got the neat little Collet set from the gentleman in Michigan today and it's super nice! It's a shame you can't put work all the way thru the collet like a typical 3c or 5c but none the less it will be fine. This lathe is for making the little items in the shop and for teaching my Son how to run one. The BIG lathe is not for the faint of heart and certainly not for teaching a 4yr old little boy. I should have this entire thing done and running by mid next week. Very excited!

              Cheers,

              Robert

              On Jan 31, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Jay Greer wrote:

              > Hi Robert, Welcome aboard and congratulations on your acquiring a 618. I own two of them. Although they are not the Acme of accuracy, they are handy and adequate for most general work. I was also concerned with the amount of play in the cross feed and discovered that the problem was in the bronze guide nut that had a worn connecting tenon that connects to the cross feed carriage. I ended up having new ones made at a local machine shop as that which was supplied by Clausing had a different internal thread that did not match my lathe. The new bronze nuts took most of the slop out of the system. In addition, some but not all of the 618s have a small hole the behind the cross feed handle in the carriage body. This is a place for a spring and a tensioning ball which adds to cutting down on the slop. It is a tiny hole and I had to do a lot of searching to find a coil spring and ball that fit. But, it was worth the effort!
              > Fair Winds,
              > Jay Greer
              > Boat Builder
              > On Jan 29, 2012, at 9:52 PM, thesyndicate88 wrote:
              >
              >> Hey Gang,
              >>
              >> I recently joined the group and have added an Atlas Model 618 to my shop. I drug it home Saturday and was going about mounting it onto a steel roll around cart I have when I decided I should give it a quick freshening! What a simple little machine! For the price I couldn't pass it up and I wanted something good, but small for the shop. I currently have a restored Sharp 17"x40" Lathe and a 1970's era Bridgeport as well. But I needed something for little work and this fits the bill perfectly. The machine is in great shape but could use a little snugging up on the gibs and the compound. I'm surprised at how much slop is in the compound to tell you the truth? I will investigate more tomorrow evening when it comes apart for cleaning and painting.
              >>
              >> Does someone make new nuts for the compound as well as the cross slide? I would assume those are common replaced items over the life of the lathe?
              >>
              >> The pictures are in an album called "Robert's new 618" or something like that.
              >>
              >> Thanks for all the great info from the site already.
              >>
              >> Best Regards,
              >>
              >> Robert M.

              > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
              > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

              Robert Morris
              robertwmorris@...
            • harpanet13
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 1, 2012
                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jeff G <Jeffgallop@...> wrote:

                > All my usual hardware stores have been a bust. The smallest ones in the
                > rows of little drawers is just a touch two large.

                Last time I needed one on my Atlas 10-30 I took apart the caster off of a rolling computer chair and got a nice handful of balls. I now save any misc casters I come across as sources for various size balls.
                HWF
              • Jay Greer
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 1, 2012
                  Robert,
                  If there is a small hole behind the chrome retainer piece, that is where the spring and ball go.
                  I do hope that your threads on the cross feed crank match the brass nuts you ordered. Mine didn't so, as mentioned, I had to have new ones made up to match.
                  It did help a lot.
                  Spring tides,
                  Jay
                  On Feb 1, 2012, at 2:39 PM, Robert Morris wrote:

> [...]
                  > >>
                  > >> Does someone make new nuts for the compound as well as the cross slide? I would assume those are common replaced items over the life of the lathe?
                  > >>
                  > >> The pictures are in an album called "Robert's new 618" or something like that.
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks for all the great info from the site already.

                • Jeff G
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 1, 2012
                    Hi All
                    Thanks for the great suggestions. Tomorrow I am off to a bike shop or
                    three, and if I happen to see and old desk chair on the way the castor is
                    mine!
                    I am a scavenger by nature, it fits with this hobby I think!
                    Jeff