Atlas 6" Lathe Change Gears

  • anthrhodes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2012
      The Atlas 6" lathe uses 24 DP, 14-1/2 PA, 3/8" wide change gears with a
      1/2" bore and two opposite keyways 1/8" wide x 1/16" deep.

      Does anybody know of a source for steel change gears to meet these specs?

      I'm interested in the following unusual tooth counts so Clausing is not an
      option.
      16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 33, 34, 35, 38, 50, 60, 63, 66, and
      72.

      The 16, 17, 18, and 19 are a special case, probably can't be supplied with
      the above stated bore dimensions. Willing to accept them with smaller bores
      but all other specs must be as stated above.

      Hoping to determine availability and prices.
      Second question, anybody know of a source for a hob to cut such gears?
      Should be relatively small bore to suit College Engineering Hobber, and price
      is a major consideration. (Not interested in Brown & Sharpe style gear
      cutters.)

      Anthony
      Berkeley, Calif.

    • Rex Burkheimer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2012
        You know that 109 lathes use the same gears? Often you can buy a complete
        109, separate the gears, and resell the 109 for what you paid for it.

        Has anyone tried adapting minilathe change gears to 618?
        Plastic full set is $35, steel is $100

        --
        Rex B - DFW
        I can see 2012 from my front porch

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012
          Rex,

          Did you look at the tooth counts I mentioned? I don't believe that a single
          one of them would be in the standard list of gears used on the Craftsman
          109 lathes manufactured by AA. (Actually I failed to include 37 and 47, and
          it turns out 39 would also be of some use.)

          Now mini-lathe gears are a different matter. I suspect that they are 1.0
          module which is slightly smaller than 24 DP so they wouldn't mesh with the
          standard Atlas gears but there are ways to work around that issue. However, I
          believe that mini-lathe gears are by 5s instead of by 4s as is the case
          with Atlas gears. Perfectly possible to get equivalent ratios as the Atlas
          gears in most cases but, because of being by 5s, they actually tendd to take
          up more space which is a drawback. If you were nevertheless interested in
          using the mini'lathe gears you would need to determine the width and details
          of the bore and keyways.

          On the whole, I think sticking with the 24 DP Atlas-pattern gears is the
          best option with the exception of very large gears and those which mesh with
          them. Potential examples are 127, 120, 113, 100, 80, and 71.

          Dan Buchanan on the Atlas 618 list said:
          Check out Boston Gear. _http://www.bostongehttp://_
          (http://www.bostongear.com/)
          I know of Boston and Browning as potential sources but haven't been able to
          come up with a useful link which will show me what gears they can supply,
          approximate prices, and where to go to get them or order them. (The above
          link takes me to a home page with lots of internal links but nothing that
          appears to be of use in my trying to find out availability, prices, and where
          to get 'em.)

          In any case, thanks for giving consideration to my post. Still hoping for
          some leads.

          Anthony
          Berkeley, Calif.
          By the way, these same gears in 16 DP could be useful for the larger Atlas
          lathes.