Turning a Faceplate - Yikes!

  • bobmargie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      I am sure somebody has experienced this problem. I bought a flat
      back 4 jay chuck (Bison 3.5") and a blank 4" faceplate for mounting.
      I am having a hard time machining the faceplate flat. The area
      toward the center is fine. As I machine toward the outside, I begin
      to get a concave surface. The outer edge is the worst. If I begin at
      the outer edge and move in, metal cuts for about 1/2 inch and then
      space. I am using a 6" Craftsman/Atlas lathe. The cross slide seems
      tight. I should be able to machine a flat face for the chuck, but I
      get a curved surface. The center of the face plate has more metal
      removes than the outer edge. If you put a flat rule against the
      face, you can see that the rule hits the outside edges and light can
      be seen on the center portion. This is a Bison faceplate, I think
      either cast iron or semi-steel. What bit should I use? Should the
      cross slide be able to machine (face) the entire two inches of travel?

      This is the first time I have tried facing, and obviously I have a
      lot to learn. What shape cutter is best for facing? Should I
      machine from the edge to the center? The speed I am using is the
      second slowest (not back geared). Any comments are appreciated.

      Regards,

      Bob