Re: DRO

  • William Clemens
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2000
      --- In atlas_craftsman@egroups.com, AtlasTV48@a... wrote:
      > Anybody found a reasonably priced DRO? Maybe something that will
      interface
      > to a PC. I have a mill application too.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Dave...

      Dave, Penn tools has a Mitutoyo 2 axis DRO advertised for about
      $700.00 with everything. Bill C.
    • Rick Kruger
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2000
        Shars (www.shars.com) has some DROs meant for installation on mill quills
        that are very much like slightly oversizes digital calipers (without the
        jaws), in horizontal and vertical orientation. They also have a larger
        sized digital readout box that attaches to these DROs. Their web site does
        not provide access to images of these items. A while back, I scanned their
        catalog pages and placed the images in a web directory:

        http://www.easystreet.com/~krugerr/DROs/

        I recently took delivery of several of these. Received 2-12" horizontal
        DROs supposedly matched to the position indicators. Position indicators
        not received/backordered. Also received two "vertical" units, an 8 and a
        12". Photos of these are at:

        http://www.egroups.com/files/7x10minilathe/DROs/

        I have not yet installed or operated these on a machine. However, the
        units seem very sturdily made and seem to function quite well. All can
        switched between MM and INCH dimension and can be set to "zero" at any
        point in their travel, so you can establish a base point for
        movements. The "vertical" units also have + and - buttons that allow you
        to set up one offset point at whatever distance you like from the current
        one. Then, as you move in that direction, the digital display counts down
        until you reach "zero" at that offset point. Could be very useful for
        certain operations, but would likely be limited to single movement
        machining operations rather than multiples.

        Cost for all the above is close to $500, which sounds like a lot, but
        individual DRO costs are on the order of $100. Not much different from
        digital calipers.

        Rick K.
        Portland, OR

        At 12:36 AM 12/2/00 +0000, you wrote:
        >--- In atlas_craftsman@egroups.com, AtlasTV48@a... wrote:
        > > Anybody found a reasonably priced DRO? Maybe something that will
        >interface
        > > to a PC. I have a mill application too.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Dave...
        >
        >Dave, Penn tools has a Mitutoyo 2 axis DRO advertised for about
        >$700.00 with everything. Bill C.

      • Crisenbery Engineering, Inc.
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2000
          Dave,

          Everyone has a different definition of reasonable but..

          I have a Mitutoyo on a Bridgeport copy that I have used for several years,
          these are not the high dollar units but are advertised as good to .002 per
          ft. if I remember correctly and mine seems to be closer to .001 per foot. J
          &L puts them on sale several times a year for about 840 including the quill
          kit.

          I have a Shooting Star unit (see adds in Home Shop Machinist) on a 12" Atlas
          and like it ok. Only had it a few months so can't comment on durability.
          It is more fragile looking than the Mitu. but the scales were easy to
          shorten for use on the cross slide. The scales are actual a rack and pinion
          unit that is claimed to be zero backlash, I feel I have a little around .001
          in mine. They also claim .002 per foot and i would say that is probably
          about right. The offer 2 and 3 axis units, the third axis scale is ment for
          the knee on a mill. The 2 axis is 600 and I think the 3 axis is 750 or so.

          In sumarary the Mitutoyo is a more robust unit, scales are better sealed and
          the display is more stable and readable.

          Rick C-

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2010
            Does anyone make a DRO for the Atlas 6" Lathe?
            Thanks
          • Warren D.
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3, 2011
              I'm trying to sort thru all the DRO info. I'm like everyone else, I'm looking for a deal as I don't do a lot of work. I would like a long and a cross feed DRO but taxes are acomin and my budget bucket is empty.
              Thanks for any suggestions or info.
            • Rick Sparber
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 3, 2011
                Do you have access to the Home Shop Machinist magazine, March/April 2011
                issue?

                Rick

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 3, 2011
                  I found some yet better deals on 0.001" DROs. I've listed them below.

                  Before I start though, MY question: "Is 0.001 inch GOOD ENOUGH resolution?"
                  ... especially as these sensors are also +/- another 0.001" on top of that...
                  How would YOU use a 0.001" (+/- another 0.001") DRO? As is, or as an "estimator"?

                  Personally, I'm used to using 0.0001" (+/-0.001-0002") digital calipers around
                  lathes and mills, so I can work to a BIT better than 0.001" when need be and
                  I feel like taking the time.

                  Due to both res and accuracy specs, THESE DROs really translate to working
                  at more like 0.002" (or 0.003") accuracy at best.

                  Now OTOH, long slide sensors with 0.0002" or better accuracy are still quite expensive
                  (AFAICD, 5 micron slides start at a couple hundred $ per axis, and go up from there.)
                  It's nice to have SOMETHING on the lathe. That's better than nothing, as it
                  DOES speed you up by eliminating constant checking with good calipers.
                  ... and if you wish you can always haul out the better calipers after you use these
                  cheaper DROs to get CLOSE to where you wish to be, should you need the additional accuracy.

                  IMO it really depends on what you plan to make, Fine res scale models or scientific
                  instruments are a lot different from turning a pipe thread... You'll just have to remember
                  to consider the overall accuracy limits of these cheapies, should you decide to use them.

                  ... Now back to the better deals...

                  Warren D. <warrengrant@[...]> wrote:
                  > I'm trying to sort thru all the DRO info. I'm like everyone else, I'm looking for a
                  > deal as I don't do a lot of work. [...[ my budget bucket is empty.
                  > Thanks for any suggestions or info.

                  The iGaging units with a 53" cord SEEMED like a good deal. Recap:
                  > ... http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v424-0160/new_products
                  > [ "free shipping if over $49" code = SMC100423 ]
                  The 6", 12", 24", and 35" are on sale for $30, $35, $55, $60 respectively.

                  HOWEVER - I did some digging, and EVERY ONE of the four iGaging DRO units can
                  be had for the same price, or a bit CHEAPER on Amazon.com The 12" is MUCH better there.
                  (Note - if over $25, you always get free shipping. No "code" needed.)
                  - 6" for $29.95 (Hartville Tool) & $30.50 (Quint Graphics):
                  ... http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-DigiMAG-Magnetic-Digital-Readout/dp/B003JU46J4
                  - 12" for $22.00 (there are several listings at diff prices, watch it!):
                  ... http://www.amazon.com/Igaging-Digital-Remote-Readout-12/dp/B003O95YFU
                  - 24" for $53.99:
                  ... http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-DigiMAG-Magnetic-Digital-Readout/dp/B003JULE4Y
                  - 35" for $54.95:
                  ... http://www.amazon.com/iGaging-DigiFENCE-Magnetic-Digital-Readout/dp/B003JURUJM

                  Has anyone found an even BETTER deal than these (for example with yet a third brand)?

                  - Keith Mc.
                • jerdal@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4, 2011
                    You are correct about the real accuracy/repeatability of teh DRO.

                    But I think you are fooling yourself with the calipers..... Calipers may
                    read to 0.0001, maybe, but the general mechanical setup of calipers, not to
                    mention the heat input from your hand, etc, make readings significantly
                    under 0.001 purely an illusion.

                    In most cases readings TO 0.001 are an illusion with calipers.

                    The real accuracy on a repeatable basis for a caliper is likely to be
                    between 0.002 and 0.003, at best. The pretty numbers are nice, of course,
                    but most likely are less accurate than they appear, and only for comparative
                    readings of measurements taken at the same time and in the same way.

                    JT

                    >I found some yet better deals on 0.001" DROs. I've listed them below.
                    >
                    > Before I start though, MY question: "Is 0.001 inch GOOD ENOUGH
                    > resolution?"
                    > ... especially as these sensors are also +/- another 0.001" on top of
                    > that...
                    > How would YOU use a 0.001" (+/- another 0.001") DRO? As is, or as an
                    > "estimator"?
                    >
                    > Personally, I'm used to using 0.0001" (+/-0.001-0002") digital calipers
                    > around
                    > lathes and mills, so I can work to a BIT better than 0.001" when need be
                    > and
                    > I feel like taking the time.
                    >
                    > Due to both res and accuracy specs, THESE DROs really translate to working
                    > at more like 0.002" (or 0.003") accuracy at best.
                  • warrengrant
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
                      Hi folks,
                      Well I've done it again. Bought something I didn't mean too and then didn't ship it back because of the costs. I have now NIB unopened IGage 24" DRO. I would like to trade it for end mills or if someone wanted to purchase a 6" IGage I will trade even up if you can use it. Why I bought the 24" I don't know. I want 6" and am going to get 2 - 36" ones. I can trade for just about anything. If anyone is interested and wants to purchase a new 6" and have it shipped direct then I can ship to you prepaid then you would end up with a 24" for the cost of a 6". Any replies are appreciated.
                      Thanks and a Safe Happy New Year.
                    • Richard Underwood
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
                        Just saw off what you need plus enough for the mounting on each end. Use
                        a fine saw blade and discard the excess. It worked fine for me when I
                        put an IGaging DRO on my lathe cross slide and didn't want the excess to
                        hang out on either side.

                        Regards,
                        Dick Underwood

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
                          Thanks for the tip to cut it off. I didn't think you could do that