Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: I just got an old QC42 with it came a A.K.Tools Tur...

  • wa5cab@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2012
      Peter,

      The item in your DSC_0155 is a follower rest but not for an Atlas. Or at
      least not for a 6", 10" or 12". I don't know what the 9" looked like. All
      of the common Atlas follower rests attach to the dovetails behind the cross
      slide. You first remove the swarf cover (one screw) and then slide the
      follower rest on, position it and tighten a set screw to lock it into place. The
      one you have attaches with two cap screws (commonly but incorrectly called
      bolts), like the connecting rod in an IC engine.

      The bed turret is not Atlas. The ones that we know of that were made by
      Atlas have hexagonal turrets. The one you have obviously fits or has been
      adapted to fit the QC42 but you may have to troll lists dedicated to other make
      lathes to find someone who knows anything about it. Or it could actually
      have been made by A.K. for the Atlas but is unknown to the majority. Like
      one of the 12" 5C collet closers I have. Probably no one on this list has
      ever seen heard of it.

      BTW, anyone, what is the spindle nose thread spec on an Atlas 10"? None of
      my catalogs cover any 10" models.

      Robert Downs - Houston

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2012
        wa5cab@... wrote:
        > BTW, anyone, what is the spindle nose thread spec on an Atlas 10"? None of
        > my catalogs cover any 10" models.

        All 10 and 12" Atlas lathes had 1.5" - 8 TPI thead.