Re: [atlas_craftsman] Clausing purchase of Atlas - date

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
      Clausing didn't purchase Atlas, it was the other way round. Atlas purchased Clausing and adopted the clausing trading name. Off hand Im not sure of the date but it has been mentioned on here before. Iirc the approx date is mentioned on tony's site www.lathes.co.uk

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
        Has to be some time in the late 60s or early 70s i will find out for shure.
        GP

        ________________________________

      • david.deboize@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
          A few months ago I read the history on Atlas Press Com. From what I remembered it was the other way around. Atlas sometime in the fifties purchased Clausing. Later in time Atlas assumed the name Clausing. I don't remember the exact dates, but I will try to look it up again and get back to you.

          One story goes is after the Clausing purchase, Atlas retagged the clausing lathes to reflect the Atlas name. An exec was visiting one of the Clausing plants, when a potential customer came in asking for a Clausing lathe, the exec told him that the Atlas lathes were the same as the Clausing ones. THe customer stated that he wanted a Clausing not an Atlas and walked out. The lathes soon after were retagged again to the Clausing name.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:

          > Does anyone know the date or approximate date when Clausing purchased
          > Atlas?
          >
          > Robert Downs - Houston
          > wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
          > MVPA 9480

        • Guenther Paul
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
            That's exactly what Atlas did with Sears-Craftsman. If you go back in history
            Sears helped a lot of company's and gave them exposure by switching names. Just
            look at whirlpool sears sold there products and put the sears or kenmore name on
            it. Sears went down Whirlpool is now a fortune 100 Company.
            GP

            ________________________________

          • wa5cab@cs.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
              That's interesting. All these years I've thought it was the other way
              'round. That does explain something else that's always puzzled me, though.
              Eight or nine times out of ten, regardless of what their suits claimed during
              the courtship, the purchasing company soon enough begins to systematically
              shut down the purchased company's product and starts getting rid of their
              people (happened to me).

              In a message dated 01/01/2012 05:03:38 AM Central Standard Time,
              mike_sharkey2000@... writes:
              > Clausing didn't purchase Atlas, it was the other way round. Atlas
              > purchased Clausing and adopted the clausing trading name. Off hand Im not sure of
              > the date but it has been mentioned on here before. Iirc the approx date is
              > mentioned on tony's site www.lathes.co.uk
              >

              > ________________________________

              Robert & Susan Downs - Houston

            • jerdal@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                Count on it...... The suits lie for a living..... it is their job.

                Within 3 years the company that bought my former employer had only ONE
                person still working for them that had been with the purchased company.
                They kept most of the brand names though.

                JT

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                  wa5cab@... wrote:
                  > Does anyone know the date or approximate date when Clausing purchased
                  > Atlas?

                  I think it was 1956, but the merger took a while to settle down. But, I
                  think some
                  Clausing industrial lathes were badged Atlas until they found out this
                  was not good
                  for sales. So, there are still some ~1956 Atlas-badged lathes with
                  Vee-ways out
                  there, that are really Clausing models.

                  The purchase was the other way around, as others have mentioned.

                  Jon
                • david.deboize@verizon.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                    wa5cab,
                    Don't know if you found out anything further online, but below is quick history on Atlas:

                    This company was founded 1911 as the G. T. Eames Co. to make arbor presses. In 1919, the name changed to Atlas Press Co. to capitalize on the brand recognition of their main product. We have also seen the name Atlas Tool and Machine Co., but don't know how it fits in.

                    During the 1920s they added drill presses and metalworking lathes to their line. During the 1930s they added wood lathes to their line. In 1934 they began making drill presses and wood lathes for Sears Roebuck, which marketed them under the Craftsman, Companion, and Dunlap names. At some point, reportedly in 1935, they obtained the "Power King" line of woodworking machinery by purchasing Power King Corp., formerly Portable Power Tool Corp. In 1950 they purchased the higher-end machine tool maker Clausing Lathe Co.; by the mid-1950s they were focusing on the industrial and commercial metalworking markets, and in 1960 they sold the woodworking equipment line to Black & Decker.

                    In 1969 (one source says 1965), the Atlas Press Co. changed its name to Clausing Corp., and some time later, to Clausing Industrial, Inc.

                    The Atlas Press Co. web site gives a company history.

                    Address (1949 Popular Mechanics): 1819 N. Pitcher St, Kalamazoo 13D, Michigan.

                  • wa5cab@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                      Yes. One of the sites someone sent me the URL to, or possibly two of them,
                      said Atlas bought Clausing in 1950.

                      In a message dated 01/01/2012 12:45:22 PM Central Standard Time,
                      elson@... writes:
                      > wa5cab@... wrote:
                      > >Does anyone know the date or approximate date when Clausing purchased
                      > >Atlas?
                      > >
                      > I think it was 1956, but the merger took a while to settle down. But, I
                      > think some
                      > Clausing industrial lathes were badged Atlas until they found out this
                      > was not good
                      > for sales. So, there are still some ~1956 Atlas-badged lathes with
                      > Vee-ways out
                      > there, that are really Clausing models.
                      >
                      > The purchase was the other way around, as others have mentioned.
                      >
                      > Jon

                      Robert & Susan Downs - Houston

                    • jworman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                        I believe 1950 may be accurate. A couple of months ago I called Clausing and asked about my 6301 Lathe. The fellow said "Wow! That's an old one. It was built in 1951" The tag on the lathe says Atlas-Clausing.

                      • wa5cab@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                          Thanks. I did find that writeup. I'll add that the Atlas Press Co. web
                          site doesn't appear to still be there. There is a site in the UK that another
                          member sent, lathes.co.uk, that has writeups on the lathes that was
                          informative but little on Atlas.

                        • BRIAN GLACKIN
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                            On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM, david.deboize@... <
                            david.deboize@...> wrote:

                            > wa5cab,
                            > Don't know if you found out anything further online, but below is quick
                            > history on Atlas:
                            >
                            > This company was founded 1911 as the G. T. Eames Co. to make arbor
                            > presses. In 1919, the name changed to Atlas Press Co. to capitalize on the
                            > brand recognition of their main product. We have also seen the name Atlas
                            > Tool and Machine Co., but don't know how it fits in.
                            >
                            > During the 1920s they added drill presses and metalworking lathes to their
                            > line. During the 1930s they added wood lathes to their line. In 1934 they
                            > began making drill presses and wood lathes for Sears Roebuck, which
                            > marketed them under the Craftsman, Companion, and Dunlap names. At some
                            > point, reportedly in 1935, they obtained the "Power King" line of
                            > woodworking machinery by purchasing Power King Corp., formerly Portable
                            > Power Tool Corp. In 1950 they purchased the higher-end machine tool maker
                            > Clausing Lathe Co.; by the mid-1950s they were focusing on the industrial
                            > and commercial metalworking markets, and in 1960 they sold the woodworking
                            > equipment line to Black & Decker.
                            >
                            > In 1969 (one source says 1965), the Atlas Press Co. changed its name to
                            > Clausing Corp., and some time later, to Clausing Industrial, Inc.
                            >
                            > The Atlas Press Co. web site gives a company history.
                            >
                            > Address (1949 Popular Mechanics): 1819 N. Pitcher St, Kalamazoo 13D,
                            > Michigan.

                            Here is the source for the above text.

                            > http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=51

                          • BRIAN GLACKIN
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
                              According to the Vintage Machinery website - Atlas history, Atlas bought
                              Clausing in 1950.