Atlas 3996 possible deal

  • wa5cab@cs.com
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 29, 2011
      Group,

      If anyone within reasonable driving distance of Chatsworth, CA is
      interested in an Atlas Model 3996 12x36, there is one on eBay pickup only. It has no
      chucks with it but does have an original Atlas lever type 3AT collet
      closer. I want the closer and collets. If anyone wants the lathe, and would send
      me the closer and collets, I will purchase and supply a 6" 3-jaw and either
      6" or 8" 4-jaw chuck, original Atlas if possible. The lathe looks pretty
      clean in the photos (certainly cleaner than mine) and according to the
      write-up is missing a nut off of the cross-slide screw. Should be available from
      Clausing or I may have one on a bench model parts unit here once we
      determine the part number. Item # 370564609813 . Asking price is $950 which seems
      to be below average for 3996's.

      Robert Downs - Houston

    • wa5cab@cs.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 1, 2012
        Actually, the $100 is the opening bid on the B&D, not the selling price.
        And is if I recall correctly a nickle more rather than less what the opening
        bid on the valve end grinding holder was.

        However, I started this thread with an honest Atlas lathe related post.
        None of this lathe chopping or valve grinding equpment discussion has anything
        to do with my original Model 3996 post. This might be politely called
        thread drift but is more commonly known as thread hijacking. I deliberately did
        not change the subject this time, but if you want to bring up a different
        subject, and don't know where the CREATE button is, at least have the decency
        to change the SUBJECT line. Thanks.

        In a message dated 01/01/2012 19:38:34 PM Central Standard Time,
        ray.waldbaum@... writes:
        > n2irz, here'e a complete valve grinding machine with lots of tooling on a
        > metal cabinet for what the other guy had as a minimom bid for some small
        > part of a valve grinding machine:
        >
        > http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Black-Decker-valve-grinder-cabinet-/2006945084
        > 94?_trksid=p4340.m185&
        > _trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D170753248527%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5314450536127763657
        >
        > Ancient valve grinding machines don't seem to be real hot sellers and
        > little scraps of those machines even less so.
        >
        > Modern equipment does a vastly better job on valves, even centerless
        > grinding the stems so every wear surface is new once a valve is reconditioned.
        >
        > Valve jobs have come a long way since the days of stone grinding the seats
        > and knurling the guides. Now it's completely remachined valves, bronze
        > guide inserts in the heads and seats recut with a Serdi cutter. Cool!
        >

        > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "n2irz" <baysale976@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >Because they don't have any idea what the item is worth. so they 'raise
        > the flag and see who salutes'.

        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston