[atlas_craftsman] New Guy on the block (was eureka I found it.)

  • Gary Zilik
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 1999
      Hello All,

      It is time I came out of the closet and introduced myself. I have been lurking for
      a couple of weeks and have had nothing to add as I am very new to the metal
      machining hobby.

      My name is Gary Zilik and live in Pine Junction, Colorado (elev. 8500'). I am
      currently building a Van's Aircraft RV-6A homebuilt aircraft. This is a low wing,
      all aluminum, side by side seating 200 hp, 200 mph aircraft. While I really did
      not need a lathe (or milling machine for that matter) to build this aircraft, I
      have been able to machine numerous parts with my new lathe that I would previously
      had to purchase.

      I purchased an Atlas 6" lathe (Craftsman nameplate) about a month ago and it came
      with gobs of tooling and looks as if it had never been used. There are no scratches
      in the ways and the only paint damage is where masking tape had been applied to
      keep the doors closed, and when stripped off the paint came off too. There was much
      congealed oil and a thorough disassembly and cleaning was in order. The spare
      change gears have never been used and the motor is the original Craftsman 1/2 hp
      and must weigh at least 35 lb.

      When I originally set it up, I used new 3/8" drive belts and at the higher speeds
      the whole house would shake. I ordered some fancy orange 3/8" Power Twist V-belts
      from Grizzly Industrial and I am here to tell you they work great. The lathe now
      spins vibration free with the new belts.

      I was told it was a babbit bearing model and can safely say that it does not have
      babbit bearings. The spindle bearings are sintered bronze with a single slot in the
      headstock with a single clamping screw and oil cups. Both the bushings and spindle
      are like new.

      Gary Zilik
      RV-6A s/n 22993
      Atlas/Craftsman 6"
      Pine Junction, CO

      > > > Some of the lathes sold by Sear had babbitt bearings although advertised
      > > > (or imolied) as having rollers. My lab got them to replace the lathe when
      > > > we complained!
      > > > Don't the babbitt bearings have just a split in the headstock, with a
      > > > single clamp screw? Bothe types have oil cups.
      > >
      > > No, the Atlas design has the bearing in two equal pieces, and a completely
      > > removable cap holds the top part (and the oil cup). The cap is held down
      > > by two bolts, with no dowel pins to locate it. The problem comes in after the
      > > bearing is worn, when the cap can be put in with quite a bit of slack in the
      > > front/back direction. So, you have to move the bearing caps until the
      > > spindle is properly aligned. There are laminated shims between the cap and
      > > the main headstock casting, to set bearing free play.

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman
    • Charles Gallo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 1999
        Harry,
        They were, I had one! Mine was the older 1"-8 thread. Some were 1"-10.

        Charlie

        At 08:02 PM 6/10/99, you wrote:
        >Gary,
        > I didn't think the 6" Atlas (and its Craftsman counterparts) were ever
        >made with anything but Timken roller bearings. What's the spindle nose
        >thread diameter?
        >
        >Regards,
        >Harry Wade
        >Nashville Tn

        PGP Key Avalible upon request

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman
      • J. Reid
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 1999
          Gary has cleared up some of the bearing mystery. Regardless of the
          bearing metal it appears that the solid bearing types had two
          versions-with one and two clamp screws, respectively (see below). The
          Timken bearing ones had only the oil cups.

          J. M. Reid
          Issaquah WA

        • Harry Wade
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 1999
            At 06:16 PM 6/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
            >Hello All,
            >My name is Gary Zilik and live in Pine Junction, Colorado (elev. 8500').
            (snip)

          • mkcent@swbell.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10, 1999
              I just sold an old Atlas 10x24 with babbit bearings.
              Skip

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/atlas_craftsman