Electronic Threading Gear Box .. Need Metric thread crest to crest in decimal

  • falcon52@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 5, 2011
      Anyone have a metric thread chart with crest to crest values in decimal.. So I can calculate the pitch values into the MCU code for the project... Every chart I found so far has been in millimeters.. And I've done to much math already and really don't feel like going through the hassle to convert all the numbers.. I would prefer a chart that shows at least three or four decimal positions 0.xxx .. with four positions 0.xxxx I will know weather to round the number up or down.. Not really necessary but it would improve accuracy a little..

      Another Question: I bought a carriage off a Atlas TH54 casting number is F10-9 but it has a slide on it that covers the ways completely and looks like a milling table with T-Slots on top and on the side but did not come with the swivel for the top slide... I was told it was off a British Atlas clone.. Anyone have any info on these, And what type of swivel bolts to the T-Slots.. I could modify a atlas lower slide to bolt to the T-Slots but would like to see a picture of what the complete assembly was supposed to look like... I bought it because it resolves the short slide wear and rigidity problems..
    • Unchained malady
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 5, 2011
        You've probably got a carriage that's been modified with a Boxford topslide, it's a common mod. in uk. you should check out the widthe of the carriage dovetail because the mod usually entails the removal of about 1/8" of material. You can probably find Boxford topslides advertised on UK eBay and make a comparison with yours. Phil.

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 5, 2011
          I've just been corrected by my friend who's just arrived, he says the mod for the crosslide was done using a Myford long crosslide, not a Boxford. He says there is more info at www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 5, 2011
            Its Not Myford .. Atleast it wasn't in any Myford photos I looked at.. Just uploaded the pictures.. Album name TH54 Modified Slide..

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 5, 2011
              You're right that it's not a Myford crosslide, the single T-slot would limit it's use for milling, I wonder if it was off a small repetition lathe. There are a lot of English topslides, including Myford 'M' types with single bolt fixing that would fit that I'm sure.

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 5, 2011
                A little limited in milling but it does have both side and top T-Slots So it does add functionality.. And greatly improves rigidity.. Also stops the gib wear problem..

                I saw a lower slide today.. It's listed as 12" Atlas Craftsman commercial lathe SWIVEL #704-015 and it looked a bit beefier.. Would that be a interchangeable part or strictly for that particular lathe.. Are there different swivel dimensions or is that standard size on all 10 and 12 inch lathes.. Was thinking of buying it and machining it to clamp to the T-Slot...

              • pdentrem@forterie.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 5, 2011
                  Called a Production Slide. Was an addon.

                • anthrhodes@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 6, 2011
                    Falcon,

                    Interesting. Never seen anything quite like it. The slot at the back is for
                    a rear tool post, allows axial adjustment relative to the radial slot to
                    place a tool where it's convenient for cutting off or similar operations
                    after completing features produced by a tool mounted to the radial slot. The
                    radial slot allows adjusting the tool in and out to reduce the required
                    movements when using front and rear tools in sequence. The side slot is
                    probably used for limit stops or other accessories. The front tool would probably
                    be mounted in a block, no compound, what the Brits refer to as a Gibraltar
                    tool post Very much a production setup.

                    Anthony
                    Berkeley, Calif.
                  • Unchained malady
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 6, 2011
                      I looked up the slide in the accesories section of the lathe guide, it's there but has a couple of L shaped stops fitted to the side T-slot and a rear toolpost for cutting off as well as the front toolpost. I would find one of those very handy and I shall keep a look out for one.

                    • falcon52@verizon.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 6, 2011
                        In scanning the internet I found several chats discussing the production slide.. And the only negative I found was using it on a 10 inch lathe makes it hard to keep the cutter below the work center line because it is allot thicker than the stock assembly.. But I guess it works well on a 12 inch.. I will know more when it gets delivered tomorrow.. I'm still looking for workarounds for the thickness problem for use on my 10F..

                      • pdentrem@forterie.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 6, 2011
                          Mine came with a 4 post that the previous owner had made custom to center the tool. The lathe is a 10F24. I used the lathe most of the time in this configuration.

                        • falcon52@verizon.net
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 6, 2011
                            Yea that's pretty much what I discovered about The Production slide. Its allot thicker and as you said putting a cross slide on it is problematic especially on a 10 inch lathe.. But I have found a few workarounds people have devised to install a cross slide and keep it below the spindle center line.. Still looking for the most innovative solution though..

                            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, anthrhodes@... wrote:

                            > Falcon,
                            >
                            > Interesting. Never seen anything quite like it. The slot at the back is for
                            > a rear tool post, allows axial adjustment relative to the radial slot to
                            > place a tool where it's convenient for cutting off or similar operations
                            > after completing features produced by a tool mounted to the radial slot. The
                            > radial slot allows adjusting the tool in and out to reduce the required
                            > movements when using front and rear tools in sequence. The side slot is
                            > probably used for limit stops or other accessories. The front tool would probably
                            > be mounted in a block, no compound, what the Brits refer to as a Gibraltar
                            > tool post Very much a production setup.
                            >
                            > Anthony
                            > Berkeley, Calif.

                          • db45acp
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 6, 2011
                              Falcon,
                              Look in the FILES section for this file:

                              Pages 11-22 1941 Atlas catalog .pdf

                              On Page 19 of that Catalog, you can enlarge the images to see your cross slide.
                              It was sold as part of the Complete Carriage Turret accessory ($47.00 in 1941), Part No. 670.
                              It was also available as an individual part ($17.00 in 1941), it was numbered 671A.
                              Photos at the bottom, along with the detailed description of the assembly in operation are very nice as well.
                              I have just uploaded 2 photos of my own unit, which I purchased last year for my own TH54.
                              You can see them in the PHOTOS section under DB45ACP Stuff.

                              The old catalogs are priceless for this kind of information.
                              -Dan

                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 6, 2011
                                Thanks for the link to the catalog. I would of never found out that the slide, 4 way post and second post were available as an assembly! The previous owner had no real idea on the history of the slide etc. I only knew it as the Production slide from other sources.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 6, 2011
                                  When I found the one I bought, I did so on a chance, as the seller couldn't identify what lathe it fit. I had seen it in several older catalogs and the detail was almost exact, so I bid. Shipping cost was more than my bid.

                                  I saw a group of parts on ebay in the past week to 10 days that included the 4 way turret and 2 rear toolposts but cannot find them now. You'll see them there from time to time.

                                  I'll keep looking.
                                  -Dan

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 6, 2011
                                    Do you have any photo's of it you can post..

                                  • pdentrem@forterie.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Dec 7, 2011
                                      Likely will be a few days before I can post some pics. What views are you looking for? PM me

                                    • falcon52@verizon.net
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 7, 2011
                                        Just wanted to see the general construction of the tool posts, Just collecting Ideas on the easiest way to make the production slide useful without pouring allot of cash into it..

                                        I paid $80 plus $25 shipping for the one I posted in the photos Dir.. But I did get the carriage with it .. But I'm running out of mad money..

                                        One picture I saw the guy machined the lower swivel slide down to just the torrent with a tab on the bottom that fit in the T-slot and put the top swivel on it.. But he also machined away the degree ring.. It just looks like a door knob bolted to the table.. Going to add the pictures of the doorknob to the pic folder i created in case you want to see it...

                                        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, pdentrem@... wrote:

                                        > Likely will be a few days before I can post some pics. What views are you looking for? PM me
                                        >
                                        > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "falcon52@" <falcon52@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Do you have any photo's of it you can post..
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, pdentrem@ wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Mine came with a 4 post that the previous owner had made custom to center the tool. The lathe is a 10F24. I used the lathe most of the time in this configuration.

                                      • Unchained malady
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 9, 2011
                                          I had a look at the photos you posted and compared them with the ones in the 10F manual, it looks like your slide is from a 12" lathe, the one shown in the manual has a much lower front and rear toolpost fitted. The obvious explanation is that while they used the same slide for both 10" & 12 " machines, different toolpost were supplied to accomodate the differing centre heights. Maybe someone somewhere has the opposite problem, having a 12" lathe but a production slide with toolposts too low and you might be able to arrange a swap. Phil.

                                        • falcon52@verizon.net
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Dec 10, 2011
                                            The last 2 pic's were found on the web.. My Production Slide the rusty pictures, Arrived today.. The GIB's are missing, The Feed Nut is sheared off, The Feed Screw is bent.. He listed it as full working order.. I told him I wanted to keep it, But asked for a partial refund and he refused, And said send it back if you didn't like it.. I guess he's going to be my first eBay negative feedback..

                                            I can repair most of the problems but the slide GIB is going to be a headache to manufacture unless someone knows where I can buy a production slide GIB..

                                            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Unchained malady" <philip.a.sutcliffe@...> wrote:

                                            > I had a look at the photos you posted and compared them with the ones in the 10F manual, it looks like your slide is from a 12" lathe, the one shown in the manual has a much lower front and rear toolpost fitted. The obvious explanation is that while they used the same slide for both 10" & 12 " machines, different toolpost were supplied to accomodate the differing centre heights. Maybe someone somewhere has the opposite problem, having a 12" lathe but a production slide with toolposts too low and you might be able to arrange a swap. Phil.
                                            >
                                            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "falcon52@" <falcon52@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Just wanted to see the general construction of the tool posts, Just collecting Ideas on the easiest way to make the production slide useful without pouring allot of cash into it..
                                            > >
                                            > > I paid $80 plus $25 shipping for the one I posted in the photos Dir.. But I did get the carriage with it .. But I'm running out of mad money..
                                            > >
                                            > > One picture I saw the guy machined the lower swivel slide down to just the torrent with a tab on the bottom that fit in the T-slot and put the top swivel on it.. But he also machined away the degree ring.. It just looks like a door knob bolted to the table.. Going to add the pictures of the doorknob to the pic folder i created in case you want to see it...
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, pdentrem@ wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Likely will be a few days before I can post some pics. What views are you looking for? PM me

                                          • Unchained malady
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Dec 10, 2011
                                              Making a slide gib is not too difficult depending on which hand tools you have available. You can use the slide itself as a jig. Once you have a strip of steel of suitable size, you need to measure the depth of the dovetail and obtain or turn down two pieces of round bar about 1/16" oversize to that dimension and about the length of the slide, lay a piece of 1/8" packing at the base of the dovetail and as near to full width as you can get, place the gib material against the dovetail side and with one bar at each side, using toolmakers clamps reversed or wooden wedges jam one the bars against each of the dovetails/material. You now have a filing rest which will allow you to make the bevels on the gib strip to the exact angle of the dovetails, because the bars are oversize you will not be in danger of damaging the slide but gaffer tape stuck to the slide top will relive you of any worries. When you have filed the first bevel down to bar level, remove the bars and place some emery sheet on the dovetail base and work the gib strip to a snug finish in the dovetail itself. With the 1/8 packing removed you now need to find a new piece of packing which is of a 1/16"thickness (equal to the amount by which the bars are oversize to the depth of the dovetail)to pack up just the gib strip, but not the bars. Now file the second bevel down to size flush with the top of the bars, remove, finish with emery paper as for the first bevel while checking for fit. Once the strip is to size you just need to clamp it in place and spot drill for the adjustment screws. Thinking the process through before you start will allow you to amend the procedure to the facilities and tools available, but the general principle should hold good. Phil

                                            • pdentrem@forterie.com
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Dec 14, 2011
                                                I finally posted a couple pics of the 4 way tool post and back post that came with the slide. They are in the album called "Replacement Compound Slide". The 4 way originally had wedge socket setup to use 3/8" tools. The wedges were machined to flat and allows the use of 1/2" tools and as you can see, I use a set of feeler gauges to set the tool height.