New member - 10F rebuild.

  • Unchained malady
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi, and thanks for the welcome to what looks like an active user-group.
      I'm 62 and interested in all matters machinery, I seem to take in old lathes like old ladies take in stray cats, I see them in the corner of someones workship laying idle and neglected, before long they're lying idle in my workship, but not neglected ! I'm currently working on a 10F TV42 which was retrieved from a coal cellar, it has no name plate or serial number, and I think was constructed in the 1940's in UK from parts sent from US under lease-lend. A notable difference found is that the apron castings for half-nut, carriage traverse and cross-feed gears are cast in bronze and may be local manufacture.
      On another lathe for later attention I have a toolroom taperslide but it's missing the tailstock end support that attaches to the bed, I would be glad of any information regards dimensions etc.
      Can anyone supply the precise diameters for the 10F motor two speed pulley. I want to turn up my own pulleys to achieve the same speed range with Uk's 50cycles supply as that originally intended with US 60cycles, our 4 pole motors running at 1480 approx. give lower overall speeds.
      Thanks everyone for the interesting stuff I've learned from the posts already.
    • russell_eberhardt
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
        > Can anyone supply the precise diameters for the 10F motor two speed pulley. I want to turn up my own pulleys to achieve the same speed range with Uk's 50cycles supply as that originally intended with US 60cycles, our 4 pole motors running at 1480 approx. give lower overall speeds.

        I've just measured those on my Acorntools UK built 10F. The OD's are 4.509 and 2.238 in. The belt sits about 1/8 in proud of the OD.
        ISTR I bought the pulley from Mike Kurn (who stocks spares in the UK) so it may not be an original.

        Russell.
      • Unchained malady
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
          Thanks for the info. Russell. Have you checked your final spindle speeds against those listed in the user manual to see what they are while running on the Acorn motor pulleys? I also have an Acorn, with screwcutting gearbox but the motor has only single pulley. With that one I'm struggling to get a four jaw chuck off the mandrel and getting nowhere.

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "russell_eberhardt" <russell_eberhardt@...> wrote:

          > > Can anyone supply the precise diameters for the 10F motor two speed pulley. I want to turn up my own pulleys to achieve the same speed range with Uk's 50cycles supply as that originally intended with US 60cycles, our 4 pole motors running at 1480 approx. give lower overall speeds.
          >
          > I've just measured those on my Acorntools UK built 10F. The OD's are 4.509 and 2.238 in. The belt sits about 1/8 in proud of the OD.
          > ISTR I bought the pulley from Mike Kurn (who stocks spares in the UK) so it may not be an original.
          >
          > Russell.

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
            Hi, I also have two of these machines but neither have the original motor pulley, only one has the original countershaft, the other has none.
            Where abouts are you in the UK, its always good to know a fellow Atlas user over here!
            Mike

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
              2-step motor pulley is 2 in & 4 1/2 in dia.

              Jim I

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                I don't have a suitable tachometer but, using a stopwatch and counting turns on the lowest backgear speed it would seem to run 10% slower than the published specs. As this was offload and ac motors are rated at about 5% slip this is not far off what one would expect.

                I run my lathe from a three phase motor and VFD so I can get whatever speed I like. This also gives a much better surface finish as the torque produced by a three phase motor doesn't vary so much with angular position - reduced vibration.

                To remove the chuck, if a hefty blow from a copper hammer on the chuck key doesn't do it I would remove the spindle, remove the bearings, and apply heat to break the seal.

                Russell.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                  Russell, I've already removed the spindle and tried heating to no avail, I'm hoping to find assistance from someone with a large enough and heavy enough lathe to take the spindle diameter and then I can get a bit more leverage to bear.
                  To get the pulleys I require I will probably go down the 'trial & error' road starting off with a larger than required pulley and skimming it between tests till I get clos with one size and calculate the second diameter from that.
                  As regards 3ph. operation, I'm biding my time in the hope that the price of the programmable converters will get closer to my budgetary requirements, I'm sure it's the best road to take long term.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                    Are the sizes you gave for 60 or 50 cycle motors ?

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, James Irwin <jirwin1@...> wrote:

                    > 2-step motor pulley is 2 in & 4 1/2 in dia.
                    >
                    > Jim I
                    >

                    > On 12/1/11 5:09 AM, "Unchained malady" wrote:
                    > > Can anyone supply the precise diameters for the 10F motor two speed pulley. I
                    > > want to turn up my own pulleys to achieve the same speed range with Uk's
                    > > 50cycles supply as that originally intended with US 60cycles, our 4 pole
                    > > motors running at 1480 approx. give lower overall speeds.

                  • Carvel Webb
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                      If you have it apart then another option might be to take it to someone with
                      a 3/4" drive pneumatic impact driver . Clamp a piece of hex stock in the
                      chuck that matches a socket on the impact driver , clamp the spindle in a
                      'friendly' vice ( wood or aluminium pads ) , and give it a go - it doesn't
                      matter if it turns slightly as long as it has enough resistance to allow the
                      impact drive to do its job,

                      Regards,

                      Carvel

                      <russell_eberhardt@...> wrote:

                      > I don't have a suitable tachometer but, using a stopwatch and counting
                      turns on the lowest backgear speed it would seem to run 10% slower than the
                      published specs. As this was offload and ac motors are rated at about 5%
                      slip this is not far off what one would expect.

                      > I run my lathe from a three phase motor and VFD so I can get whatever
                      speed I like. This also gives a much better surface finish as the torque
                      produced by a three phase motor doesn't vary so much with angular position -
                      reduced vibration.

                      > To remove the chuck, if a hefty blow from a copper hammer on the chuck key
                      doesn't do it I would remove the spindle, remove the bearings, and apply
                      heat to break the seal.

                      > Russell.
                      >
                      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Unchained malady"
                      <philip.a.sutcliffe@> wrote:

                      > > Thanks for the info. Russell. Have you checked your final spindle speeds
                      against those listed in the user manual to see what they are while running
                      on the Acorn motor pulleys? I also have an Acorn, with screwcutting gearbox
                      but the motor has only single pulley. With that one I'm struggling to get a
                      four jaw chuck off the mandrel and getting nowhere.

                      The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
                      http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                      Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
                      mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
                    • Colin
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 15, 2011
                        Hi Philip,

                        I'm another UK atlas 10 owner, I think mine came over during ww2. It needs a rebuild too but I'm struggling to find the time at the moment. It is pretty complete though but is 3-phase so haven't even run it myself yet although I did see it running when I bought it.

                        I could be persuaded to move it on if you need another project!!

                        regards,

                        Colin

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 15, 2011
                          Hi Colin, I'm always interested in items Atlas, although I would encourage you to tackle the rebuild of your Atlas, once dismantled they can be stored quite compactly and tackled a sub-assembly at a time without eating your time in big chunks. Whereabouts are you in UK ? Phil.