saddle damage update

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
      Well I had a chance to take the apron apart today and I think I have figured out what went wrong. Mud daubers. It looke like some of the clay vibrated loose and jammed the lead screw and broke the transverse gear case housing. Which in turn wiped out my beautiful reverse gears too. Anyone have an extra transverse gear housing 10F-11? This eductation is really getting expensive

      Gary
    • Ahz
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
        The transverse gear housing is the weakest part of the lathes. A lot of people make their own. Mine's an aluminum block.

        On Nov 4, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Gary wrote:

        > Well I had a chance to take the apron apart today and I think I have figured out what went wrong. Mud daubers. It looke like some of the clay vibrated loose and jammed the lead screw and broke the transverse gear case housing. Which in turn wiped out my beautiful reverse gears too. Anyone have an extra transverse gear housing 10F-11? This eductation is really getting expensive
        >
        > Gary

      • Ray
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
          Ahz, did you snap a photo of that home made traverse gear case before you installed it? If so, I'd sure like to see it.

          Ray email rwaldbaum@...

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Ahz <ahz@...> wrote:

          > The transverse gear housing is the weakest part of the lathes. A lot of people make their own. Mine's an aluminum block.
          >
          > On Nov 4, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Gary wrote:
          >
          > > Well I had a chance to take the apron apart today and I think I have figured out what went wrong. Mud daubers. It looke like some of the clay vibrated loose and jammed the lead screw and broke the transverse gear case housing. Which in turn wiped out my beautiful reverse gears too. Anyone have an extra transverse gear housing 10F-11? This eductation is really getting expensive
          > >
          > > Gary

        • Lance Eggleston
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2011
            If the broken pieces are a tight fit and not deformed, the Zamak can be
            repaired with Alumiweld and a butane torch.

            lance
            ++++

            On Nov 4, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Gary wrote:

            > Well I had a chance to take the apron apart today and I think I have figured out what went wrong. Mud daubers. It looke like some of the clay vibrated loose and jammed the lead screw and broke the transverse gear case housing. Which in turn wiped out my beautiful reverse gears too. Anyone have an extra transverse gear housing 10F-11? This eductation is really getting expensive
            >
            > Gary

          • Gary Richmond
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2011
              Thats a good idea,  I never thought of that.  I have some around here somewhere.

              Thanks  Gary

              If the broken pieces are a tight fit and not deformed, the Zamak can be
              repaired with Alumiweld and a butane torch.

              lance
              ++++

              On Nov 4, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Gary wrote:

              > Well I had a chance to take the apron apart today and I think I have figured out what went wrong. Mud daubers. It looke like some of the clay vibrated loose and jammed the lead screw and broke the transverse gear case housing. Which in turn wiped out my beautiful reverse gears too. Anyone have an extra transverse gear housing 10F-11? This eductation is really getting expensive
              >
              > Gary

            • RG Sparber
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2011
                Lance,

                Have you perfected this method? I've got your text and pictures but thought you hit a snag so have been waiting.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 8, 2011
                  Rick,

                  The Zamak crack / hole welding repair process worked well twice.

                  The unresolved problem was attaching the Zamak case to a cast Aluminum foot. The foot alloy had too high a MP. I haven't resolved that issue yet.

                  lance
                  ++++

                  On Nov 7, 2011, at 11:08 PM, RG Sparber wrote:

                  > Lance,
                  >
                  > Have you perfected this method? I've got your text and pictures but thought you hit a snag so have been waiting.
                  >
                  > Rick

                • Lance Eggleston
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
                    Rick,

                    I have developed a procedure to create and attach a new "foot" for the traverse gear case. I whacked the new foot on a metal table a couple times to make sure it was well attached to the case and ran it into the grinder to shape it and heat it up some.

                    The foot is still rigidly attached, so I will annotate and send pictures. I used a wooden mold to create the foot from Alumiweld and then attached it with Alumiweld to the case.

                    Pictures to follow.

                    lance
                    +++++