Re: timken oil cup wont hold oil on atlas 12

  • steve_beard16
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Scott Henion <shenion@...> wrote:

      > On 10/31/2011 10:41 PM, steve_beard16 wrote:
      > > Just bought my first lathe a atlas 12 went through and degreased everything then relubed the lathe. the left timken oil cup will not hold any oil it just drains straight through and leaks out the bottom of the lathe. Before I tear into it any ideas on what it might be also anything else I should should do or check before i start running the lathe?
      > >
      > > Thanks, Steve Beard
      > >

      > Sounds normal. There should be a felt wick in the cup that slowly drips
      > oil on the bearing.
      >
      > Without them it will just fall into the bearing race, fill it up and
      > overflow.
      >
      > Mine are near dry everytime i use the lathe. Add enough to soak the wick
      > and then use the lathe. the manual says oil them on every use.
      >
      > Yes, it will drip out. There is no bearing seal, just a dust cover.
      >

      > --
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      > Scott G. Henion
      > Craftsman 12x36 lathe:
      > http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
      > ------------------------------------

      I didnt originally think that it was sealed but when i filled the timken bearing cup for the right timken bearing it hold the oil and doesn't flow through. Looks like I could have a problem with that one as it keeps a constant level, maybe it is clogged.

      Do you know where I can buy the wicks, or make some? are they susposed to be used for every cup or only timken bearing cups
    • Andy Howell
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
        On 11/01/2011 09:07 AM, steve_beard16 wrote:

        > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>, Scott
        > Henion <shenion@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> On 10/31/2011 10:41 PM, steve_beard16 wrote:
        >> > Just bought my first lathe a atlas 12 went through and degreased everything then
        > relubed the lathe. the left timken oil cup will not hold any oil it just drains straight
        > through and leaks out the bottom of the lathe. Before I tear into it any ideas on what it
        > might be also anything else I should should do or check before i start running the lathe?
        >> >
        >> > Thanks, Steve Beard
        >> >

        >> Sounds normal. There should be a felt wick in the cup that slowly drips
        >> oil on the bearing.
        >>
        >> Without them it will just fall into the bearing race, fill it up and
        >> overflow.
        >>
        >> Mine are near dry everytime i use the lathe. Add enough to soak the wick
        >> and then use the lathe. the manual says oil them on every use.
        >>
        >> Yes, it will drip out. There is no bearing seal, just a dust cover.
        >>

        >> --
        >>
        >> ------------------------------------
        >> Scott G. Henion
        >> Craftsman 12x36 lathe:
        >> http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
        >> ------------------------------------
        >

        > I didnt originally think that it was sealed but when i filled the timken bearing cup for
        > the right timken bearing it hold the oil and doesn't flow through. Looks like I could have
        > a problem with that one as it keeps a constant level, maybe it is clogged.
        >
        > Do you know where I can buy the wicks, or make some? are they susposed to be used for
        > every cup or only timken bearing cups

        Steve,

        I don't know if it is normal, but my QC54 leaks like that. The left side baring does not
        hold oil, just as you described. The right is ok.

        Andy
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
          On 10/31/2011 8:41 PM, steve_beard16 wrote:
          > Just bought my first lathe a atlas 12 went through and degreased everything then relubed the lathe. the left timken oil cup will not hold any oil it just drains straight through and leaks out the bottom of the lathe. Before I tear into it any ideas on what it might be also anything else I should should do or check before i start running the lathe?

          Well, there really isn't anything terrible about that. The oil flows
          through
          and flushes out any crud in the bearings. The way the roller bearings
          are made, the roller spacer retains oil. But, you can put felt or cotton
          shoelace material in the cup to slow the flow.