RE: [atlas_craftsman] 10F Backgear questions

  • Carvel Webb
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2011
      Bear in mind that the screw in the bottom of the V in the pulley is just an
      oil plug , and should NOT tighten onto the shaft ,

      Regards,

      Carvel

      From: Scott Henion <shenion@...>
      To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, October 31, 2011, 1:41 PM

      On 10/31/2011 2:15 PM, Gary wrote:
      > I started to turn the MT3 down to 1/2 inch, and for that I need to use the
      back gears (first time) I engauged the back gears and the 10-79 headstock
      cluster pulley seems to slip on the spindle. What holds the pulley tight to
      the spindle? Or am I missing something altogether?

      > Thanks in advance. (again)

      When you disengage the spindle pulley by pulling the pin and enable the
      back gear, the spindle pulley spins freely. On the left side, the pulley
      drives the left gear of the back gear. Then the back gear drives the
      large gear on the right of the spindle. That gear is connected to the
      spindle.

      If you are not getting anything and the pulley just spins, it could be
      the left gear retaining collar is loose and not holding the left gear
      against the pulley.

      --

      ------------------------------------
      Scott G. Henion

      The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
      http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
      Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
      mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
    • Gary Richmond
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
            Thanks to you Carvel,   I moved the left hand main shaft collar toward the center and moved the bull gear toward the center and it seems to be working like its supposed to and no shucking back and forth.

           Thanks also for the help of Steven Haskell,  I now have a working reverse gearbox on my lathe and the lead screw seems to work like its supposed to.

          Now the saddle seems to be binding every so often then it jumps ahead.   I guess thats the next thing I have to tear apart.   Any suggestions?

        Bless you all

        Gary