10F Backgear questions

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2011
      I started to turn the MT3 down to 1/2 inch, and for that I need to use the back gears (first time) I engauged the back gears and the 10-79 headstock cluster pulley seems to slip on the spindle. What holds the pulley tight to the spindle? Or am I missing something altogether?

      Thanks in advance. (again)

      Gary

      PS

      Two other minor problems The back gears do not what to stay engauged, and the spindle cluster pulley seems to shuck back and forth and somemtimes makes an awful screech.
    • Scott Henion
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2011
        On 10/31/2011 2:15 PM, Gary wrote:
        > I started to turn the MT3 down to 1/2 inch, and for that I need to use the back gears (first time) I engauged the back gears and the 10-79 headstock cluster pulley seems to slip on the spindle. What holds the pulley tight to the spindle? Or am I missing something altogether?
        >
        > Thanks in advance. (again)

        When you disengage the spindle pulley by pulling the pin and enable the
        back gear, the spindle pulley spins freely. On the left side, the pulley
        drives the left gear of the back gear. Then the back gear drives the
        large gear on the right of the spindle. That gear is connected to the
        spindle.

        If you are not getting anything and the pulley just spins, it could be
        the left gear retaining collar is loose and not holding the left gear
        against the pulley.

        --

        ------------------------------------
        Scott G. Henion
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2011
          Hi Gary ,

          The pulley MUST be free to rotate on the spindle in back gear mode .

          Screech indicates it desperately needs some oil !

          Take out the small set screw in the V of the pulley and apply the same oil
          you use for the spindle bearings .

          The pulley is linked to the small gear at the back end of the spindle .

          That gear drives the large gear on the back gear shaft .

          The small gear on the back gear shaft drives the bull gear at the front of
          the spindle ,

          Regards,

          Carvel

          I started to turn the MT3 down to 1/2 inch, and for that I need to use the
          back gears (first time) I engauged the back gears and the 10-79 headstock
          cluster pulley seems to slip on the spindle. What holds the pulley tight to
          the spindle? Or am I missing something altogether?

          Thanks in advance. (again)

          Gary

          PS

          Two other minor problems The back gears do not what to stay engauged, and
          the spindle cluster pulley seems to shuck back and forth and somemtimes
          makes an awful screech.

          The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at
          http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
          Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at
          mailto://elson@...! Groups Links
        • Gary Richmond
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2011
            Thanks for the replies,  I see the notches now that drive the gears.  Tomorrow I will oil and tighten the set screws and see if things improve.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2011
              Bear in mind that the screw in the bottom of the V in the pulley is just an
              oil plug , and should NOT tighten onto the shaft ,

              Regards,

              Carvel

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2011
                    Thanks to you Carvel,   I moved the left hand main shaft collar toward the center and moved the bull gear toward the center and it seems to be working like its supposed to and no shucking back and forth.

                   Thanks also for the help of Steven Haskell,  I now have a working reverse gearbox on my lathe and the lead screw seems to work like its supposed to.

                  Now the saddle seems to be binding every so often then it jumps ahead.   I guess thats the next thing I have to tear apart.   Any suggestions?

                Bless you all

                Gary