Re: [atlas_craftsman] Manual for Atlas QC54

  • Andy Howell
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
      On 10/02/2011 06:17 PM, Scott Henion wrote:

      > On 10/2/2011 5:46 PM, Andy Howell wrote:
      >> Hello,
      >>
      >> I just purchased an Atlas QC54 lathe yesterday, and joined the group today. I am fairly
      >> new to machining and lathes in particular. I read somewhere that Atlas produced a good
      >> manual for the lathe. Can someone tell me where I can I can find one.
      >
      > Parts lists are in the files section.
      >
      > Clausing sells the manual: "Lathe operation and Machinist Tables". Cost
      > $25. They also sometimes go on ebay.

      Thanks. Found a few on Ebay. One dating to 1937. The begs the question, how old is the
      lathe I have. Its serial number is 82567. I guess they made a lot of these :)

      >> I don't know any of the history of this particular lathe, other than it has been un-used
      >> for several years. My first task at had is to make sure it is well adjusted and
      >> lubricated. The belts look a bit ragged, so I'll probably replace those first off.
      >>
      >> Thanks for your help,
      >
      > A nice upgrade is link belts made by Fenner and others. You will not
      > need to disassemble the headstock to replace and they reduce vibration a
      > bit. Not cheap but well worth the expense.

      Thanks. Didn't know about linked belts. Looks like a couple Harbor Freight ones are
      cheapest route http://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

      I checked mcmaster,com, but they start at $7.20 a foot. I found this link talking about
      them http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/link_belts/

      Thanks.
    • Andy Howell
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011