Manual for Atlas QC54

  • Andy Howell
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
      Hello,

      I just purchased an Atlas QC54 lathe yesterday, and joined the group today. I am fairly
      new to machining and lathes in particular. I read somewhere that Atlas produced a good
      manual for the lathe. Can someone tell me where I can I can find one.

      I don't know any of the history of this particular lathe, other than it has been un-used
      for several years. My first task at had is to make sure it is well adjusted and
      lubricated. The belts look a bit ragged, so I'll probably replace those first off.

      Thanks for your help,

      Andy
    • Scott Henion
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
        On 10/2/2011 5:46 PM, Andy Howell wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I just purchased an Atlas QC54 lathe yesterday, and joined the group today. I am fairly
        > new to machining and lathes in particular. I read somewhere that Atlas produced a good
        > manual for the lathe. Can someone tell me where I can I can find one.

        Parts lists are in the files section.

        Clausing sells the manual: "Lathe operation and Machinist Tables". Cost
        $25. They also sometimes go on ebay.

        > I don't know any of the history of this particular lathe, other than it has been un-used
        > for several years. My first task at had is to make sure it is well adjusted and
        > lubricated. The belts look a bit ragged, so I'll probably replace those first off.
        >
        > Thanks for your help,

        A nice upgrade is link belts made by Fenner and others. You will not
        need to disassemble the headstock to replace and they reduce vibration a
        bit. Not cheap but well worth the expense.

        ------------------------------------
        Scott G. Henion
        Craftsman 12x36 lathe:
        http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
        ------------------------------------
      • Aaron Silver
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
          Andy -

          I just uploaded the 1913 edition of the Atlas "How to run a lathe" booklet.
          The later version is around on the internet if you need it.

          Aaron

          On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Andy Howell <andy@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hello,
          >
          > I just purchased an Atlas QC54 lathe yesterday, and joined the group today.
          > I am fairly
          > new to machining and lathes in particular. I read somewhere that Atlas
          > produced a good
          > manual for the lathe. Can someone tell me where I can I can find one.
          >
          > I don't know any of the history of this particular lathe, other than it has
          > been un-used
          > for several years. My first task at had is to make sure it is well adjusted
          > and
          > lubricated. The belts look a bit ragged, so I'll probably replace those
          > first off.
          >
          > Thanks for your help,
          >
          > Andy

        • angelo4967
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
            I dont't have the manual, but heres a parts list

            <http://www.machinistweb.com/10-inch%20F-Series%20Parts%20List%282%29.pd\
            f> 10" PARTS LIST
            <http://www.machinistweb.com/10-inch%20F-Series%20Parts%20List%282%29.pd\
            f>

            > I just purchased an Atlas QC54 lathe yesterday, and joined the group
            today. I am fairly
            > new to machining and lathes in particular. I read somewhere that Atlas
            produced a good
            > manual for the lathe. Can someone tell me where I can I can find one.
            >
            > I don't know any of the history of this particular lathe, other than
            it has been un-used
            > for several years. My first task at had is to make sure it is well
            adjusted and
            > lubricated. The belts look a bit ragged, so I'll probably replace
            those first off.

            > Thanks for your help,
            >
            > Andy

          • Snailrover
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
              I guess I spoke too soon. I've tried to upload a number of times, it gets to 34% and then disconnects. Grrr.

              I'll try tomorrow from a different connection.

              Aaron

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Silver <silvera@...> wrote:

              > Andy -
              >
              > I just uploaded the 1913 edition of the Atlas "How to run a lathe" booklet.
              > The later version is around on the internet if you need it.
              >
              > Aaron
              >
              > On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Andy Howell <andy@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > I just purchased an Atlas QC54 lathe yesterday, and joined the group today.
              > > I am fairly
              > > new to machining and lathes in particular. I read somewhere that Atlas
              > > produced a good
              > > manual for the lathe. Can someone tell me where I can I can find one.
              > >
              > > I don't know any of the history of this particular lathe, other than it has
              > > been un-used
              > > for several years. My first task at had is to make sure it is well adjusted
              > > and
              > > lubricated. The belts look a bit ragged, so I'll probably replace those
              > > first off.
              > >
              > > Thanks for your help,
              > >
              > > Andy

            • Scott Henion
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
                On 10/2/2011 8:23 PM, Snailrover wrote:
                > I guess I spoke too soon. I've tried to upload a number of times, it gets to 34% and then disconnects. Grrr.
                >
                > I'll try tomorrow from a different connection.
                >
                > Aaron

                How big is the file?

                There is only 6megs left in the files area.

                --

                ------------------------------------
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
                  The file is 1.28 megs.

                  Aaron

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Scott Henion <shenion@...> wrote:

                  > On 10/2/2011 8:23 PM, Snailrover wrote:
                  > > I guess I spoke too soon. I've tried to upload a number of times, it gets to 34% and then disconnects. Grrr.
                  > >
                  > > I'll try tomorrow from a different connection.
                  > >
                  > > Aaron
                  >
                  > How big is the file?
                  >
                  > There is only 6megs left in the files area.
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------
                  > Scott G. Henion
                  > Craftsman 12x36 lathe:
                  > http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
                  > ------------------------------------

                • Andy Howell
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011
                    On 10/02/2011 06:17 PM, Scott Henion wrote:

                    > On 10/2/2011 5:46 PM, Andy Howell wrote:
                    >> Hello,
                    >>
                    >> I just purchased an Atlas QC54 lathe yesterday, and joined the group today. I am fairly
                    >> new to machining and lathes in particular. I read somewhere that Atlas produced a good
                    >> manual for the lathe. Can someone tell me where I can I can find one.
                    >
                    > Parts lists are in the files section.
                    >
                    > Clausing sells the manual: "Lathe operation and Machinist Tables". Cost
                    > $25. They also sometimes go on ebay.

                    Thanks. Found a few on Ebay. One dating to 1937. The begs the question, how old is the
                    lathe I have. Its serial number is 82567. I guess they made a lot of these :)

                    >> I don't know any of the history of this particular lathe, other than it has been un-used
                    >> for several years. My first task at had is to make sure it is well adjusted and
                    >> lubricated. The belts look a bit ragged, so I'll probably replace those first off.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks for your help,
                    >
                    > A nice upgrade is link belts made by Fenner and others. You will not
                    > need to disassemble the headstock to replace and they reduce vibration a
                    > bit. Not cheap but well worth the expense.

                    Thanks. Didn't know about linked belts. Looks like a couple Harbor Freight ones are
                    cheapest route http://www.harborfreight.com/vibration-free-link-belt-43771.html

                    I checked mcmaster,com, but they start at $7.20 a foot. I found this link talking about
                    them http://www.paragoncode.com/shop/link_belts/

                    Thanks.
                  • Andy Howell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2011