Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Another new member, another old lathe

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 30, 2011
      Scott Henion wrote:
      > It is a 4-jaw chuck. It would probably be an independent chuck. As I
      > said, one jaw is probably screwed out more.
      >
      > Self-centering 4-jaw chucks are not very common.

      Ugh, I have to start reading these posts more carefully before responding!
      If it is just that one jaw is sticking out more, then clearly no problem
      at all.
      Snailrover seemed to say the chuck BODY was eccentric, but he could have
      easily meant the jaw.

      Jon
    • Snailrover
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 1, 2011
        It was sold as not having the Timken bearing head, so I'll have to look for other things. I'll have to keep looking for identifiable characteristics.

        Aaron

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Lance Eggleston <wheezer606@...> wrote:

        > If it's a Timken bearing head,
        > take the head apart and look on the inner bearing
        > dust cover or race. The date of assembly should be
        > engraved there.
        > or go here:
        > Page Title
        >

        > lance
        > +++++
        >

        > On Sep 30, 2011, at 2:07 PM, Snailrover wrote:
        >
        > > Any pointers on things to look for that might identify when my lathe was built?

      • Snailrover
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 1, 2011
          My recollection is that the chuck body was what was looking to be spinning eccentrically, but who knows... maybe I'm wrong. (Just don't tell my wife!) I'm still in the process of getting the lathe unloaded and somewhere that I can start a closer examination and initial setup. The 1/4" was a complete guess... I was standing a couple of feet from the lathe, and towards the tailstock end. Since I perceived the wobble I made the estimate that a 1/4" would be visible and that something less might not be visible. Once I get it set up I'll be able to get accurate measurements on the chuck, the jaws, and the spindle.

          Aaron

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

          > Scott Henion wrote:
          > > It is a 4-jaw chuck. It would probably be an independent chuck. As I
          > > said, one jaw is probably screwed out more.
          > >
          > > Self-centering 4-jaw chucks are not very common.
          > >
          > Ugh, I have to start reading these posts more carefully before responding!
          > If it is just that one jaw is sticking out more, then clearly no problem
          > at all.
          > Snailrover seemed to say the chuck BODY was eccentric, but he could have
          > easily meant the jaw.
          >
          > Jon

        • Michael Fagan
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 1, 2011
            I think you overestimated the wobble. As little as 20 thousands or so is
            quite visible on a spinning lathe. A 1/4" wobble would be shaking the lathe
            off the table and be extremely dangerous.

            On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 17:19, Snailrover <silvera@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > My recollection is that the chuck body was what was looking to be spinning
            > eccentrically, but who knows... maybe I'm wrong. (Just don't tell my wife!)
            > I'm still in the process of getting the lathe unloaded and somewhere that I
            > can start a closer examination and initial setup. The 1/4" was a complete
            > guess... I was standing a couple of feet from the lathe, and towards the
            > tailstock end. Since I perceived the wobble I made the estimate that a 1/4"
            > would be visible and that something less might not be visible. Once I get it
            > set up I'll be able to get accurate measurements on the chuck, the jaws, and
            > the spindle.
            >
            > Aaron
            >

            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Scott Henion wrote:
            > > > It is a 4-jaw chuck. It would probably be an independent chuck. As I
            > > > said, one jaw is probably screwed out more.
            > > >
            > > > Self-centering 4-jaw chucks are not very common.
            > > >
            > > Ugh, I have to start reading these posts more carefully before
            > responding!
            > > If it is just that one jaw is sticking out more, then clearly no problem
            > > at all.
            > > Snailrover seemed to say the chuck BODY was eccentric, but he could have
            > > easily meant the jaw.
            > >
            > > Jon

          • Snailrover
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 23, 2011
              OK, I've finally gotten time to give an update:

              I picked up a dial indicator and tested the spindle and I'm very pleased and surprised to report that it is in perfect alignment! (Happy dance!)

              My three jaw chuck (which has independent jaws BTW) seems to be pretty good, with a minor eccentricity of the outer edge. It was less than a couple hundredths of an inch, however, and the face was still perpendicular to the spindle, so I think I can live with that.

              My four jaw chuck on the other hand has something whacked with it. I still need to take decent measurements on it, but the backing plate was not perpendicular, and that was I think the primary thing I saw moving when I had initially gone to look at the lathe.

              At this point I've gotten the lathe set up in my workshop, played around a little getting a feel for it, and just today helped a friend machine a couple of bushings. It took longer than it should have, but for the first produced items I've ever worked on, I'll call it a win!

              Thanks everyone for all the help provided so far, and I'll be bothering you folks with more questions and information soon!

              Aaron
            • Rexarino
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 2011
                Glad the spindle was OK! If the 4 jaw has a removable back plate, remove
                it and evaluate whether you can machine it flat. If not, buy another back
                plate and machine to fit (search messages for Plane back lathe chuck???, June
                2011).