Re: [atlas_craftsman] Atlas 10D

  • JACK SIMS
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2011
      A person can have all of the tools in the world but if he doesn't know how to use them they are not much good.
      Jack Sims

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
        What he said; it seems a little expensive personally.

        If you're going to spend that kind of money, find out what kind of shape it's in. I've seen some absolute crap say "Good condition" on a craigslist listing. Based on how the ad reads, I don't think your seller is a serious machinist, or the wording would be different (Thread lead screw with sycronizer for making all types of threads); ANY of these lathes would have a lead screw with a "synconizer" (especially at that price) which I presume means the threading dial. I would expect a serious machinist looking to sell would comment on the quality of the lead screw, not the presence of it. To a clueless non-machinist seller, anything that has a coat of paint and not much rust can be "Good condition".

        That being said, your seller knows (or has been told) enough to mention some of the correct buzzwords (steady rest, follow rest, tailstock) instead of just 'some extra parts'.

        All that being said, check the castings for cracks, the ways and lead screw for wear, all the gears for teeth (including brazed-on tooth repair) and presence - this is a change-gear machine, the spindle for bearing quality. Also check the lead screw gear case for function both ways; it's got some pot-metal parts in it that can get crunched. Run and make a couple cuts with it (regular, facing) if you can. If it's all good, make an offer. If not, then decide if you want it for a working machine or for a restoration project, and make an offer accordingly.

        Jim Ash

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
          $975 seems a little expensive, but maybe not for your area.
          The areas to watch out for are:
          * The headstock spindle (it should have no play radially or axially)
          * The Ways (should not be worn, but there will certainly be some wear near the headstock. Mine has a groove 0.0025 deep - easily felt with a finger - that doesn't hurt its accuracy that much)
          * Broken or chipped or missing gears or castings (There's a set of gears used for threading)
          * Reversing gear box not functional (try it under power, move the lever gently to let it shift)

          If all those are OK, it's probably good enough to bring home.

          If the lathe is under power, bring some aluminum or plastic round bar stock and make some test cuts. If you don't know what exactly that means, just take it home and ay=ny issues can be sorted out for a reasonable cost later.

          Get all the accessories and whatever tooling you can.

          Don

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "nathan" <nathanuskoski@...> wrote:

          > Hello I am new to the group and looking at buying a lathe. I am intersted in being able to do some threading but it isn't a huge priority.
          >
          > http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/tls/2561162202.html
          >
          > Thanks for the input.

        • Doc
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2011
            Jack , sometime around age 10 or eleven , i was complaining that i didnt have the right tools to make a prlject ( daddys tools) ...the reply i got was "any fool can make something w/ the right tools , it takes real talent to make do without " .....daddy was almost ALWAYS 100% correct , but this time he was only 50% correct ... 70 yrs later i STILL remember !!!!...
            .and one other "come back to reality " quip ...after seeing the movie ,tap roots , abt a southern ante bellum plantation entrepenour , i said that i was born 100 yrs too late , i was brought back to earth by " dont fret , you probably would have been the "white trash"....dear ole dad...repose in pacem i left school /home to go on the road w/ a traveling band at age 16 , but till his death , i NEVER made a move w/out rummmg it through him ....he was an M.E, w/ unreal abstract ability to see thru the extraneous garbage & asses things ....kept me out of harms way on many occaisions, deadly harm at least once..........
            best wishes
            docn8as.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
              My 2 cents before tax.

              Lots of machine shops in the Vancouver area, there is no shortage of used lathes outthere. Just be aware of the beaters that come out of the these shops. Only worth the scrap value as they are done.

              I would not expect to get much more than 700 for my 10F24 that I am currently selling here in Ontario. Best offer to date is 600.

              Comes complete, Timken brg model

              All change gears for standard and metric threads
              2 3 jaw chucks
              1 4 jaw chuck
              Face plate
              Steady rest
              new lead screw about 10 yrs ago and half nuts plus spares
              dead center
              etc
              Stand and storage rack.

              Here is my ad. For my area this is realistic. Some people will list at over 1K and there they sit. Way out of line when you can buy a 14x40 for about 1500.

              http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-Atlas-10F24-W0QQAdIdZ309585110