Re: Slightly OT - Craftsman Bench top Drill Press

  • ivan
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
      > > Ah yes, where can I get a couple of the press in "rivets" so I can get the
      > > return spring cover back on properly? (They had it taped on... I could
      > > thread and use screws, but would like to maintain as much of its originality
      > > as possible.)

      Rivets come in sizes so dunno what you need but vintage bicycles used 'tap in rivets' for head badges, and Triumph motorcycles used them for patent plates on their motors in the 50's-70's.

      That's a good find, its' a neat piece.

      I am still looking for an older bandsaw for cutting aluminum plate.
    • JACK SIMS
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
        Try
        www.rivetsinstock.com
        I know that this sounds like a joke address but these people have more rivets and related items in stock than I have ever seen.
        And NO I don't work for them.
        Jack Sims
        Carrollton, Texas
        > > Ah yes, where can I get a couple of the press in "rivets" so I can get the
        > > return spring cover back on properly? (They had it taped on... I could
        > > thread and use screws, but would like to maintain as much of its originality
        > > as possible.)

        Rivets come in sizes so dunno what you need but vintage bicycles used 'tap in rivets' for head badges, and Triumph motorcycles used them for patent plates on their motors in the 50's-70's.

        That's a good find, its' a neat piece.

        I am still looking for an older bandsaw for cutting aluminum plate.

      • David G. Sampar
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
          If you look at page 38 of the same catalog you'll notice that they offered a
          motor with "remote control".

          If you look at page 36 of the 1940 Walker-Turner catalog found here...

          http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=712

          WT offered an accessory remote control switch to make the use of control
          rods as found on Delta equipment
          of the same period "not only unnecessary, but obsolete".
          ...David

          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
            Hi,

            Outlaw commented: "Man those old cast iron motors sure weighed a lot!"

            Tell me about It. I have a 1928-vintage Singer sewing machine motor that weighs 40lbs. with it's clutch assembly:

            http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/561684477USYodf

            Regards, Bernie....A Little Bit South of Grass Valley, CA
            'Son of a Singer Man'
            http://community.webshots.com/user/sonofasingerman
          • outlawmws
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
              The holes will just fit a .096 drill does that help?

              -Outlaw

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "ivan" <hulagun66@...> wrote:

              > > > Ah yes, where can I get a couple of the press in "rivets" so I can get the
              > > > return spring cover back on properly? (They had it taped on... I could
              > > > thread and use screws, but would like to maintain as much of its originality
              > > > as possible.)
              >

              > Rivets come in sizes so dunno what you need but vintage bicycles used 'tap in rivets' for head badges, and Triumph motorcycles used them for patent plates on their motors in the 50's-70's.
              >
              > That's a good find, its' a neat piece.
              >
              > I am still looking for an older bandsaw for cutting aluminum plate.

            • Shaffin Bhanji
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
                If you have a diagram (and even better the g-code), I have a CNC mill
                that I can cut a plate for you :-)

                Sam.

                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
                  Well, they have what I think was used; its called a "drive screw"

                  http://www.rivetsinstock.com/drive-screws.htm

                  However they skip the size I need: it goes from .086 to .104 hole sizes...

                  -Outlaw

                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
                    Something like that would be ideal!

                    -Outlaw

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "David G. Sampar" <dsampar@...> wrote:

                    > If you look at page 38 of the same catalog you'll notice that they offered a
                    > motor with "remote control".
                    >
                    > If you look at page 36 of the 1940 Walker-Turner catalog found here...
                    >
                    > http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=712
                    >
                    > WT offered an accessory remote control switch to make the use of control
                    > rods as found on Delta equipment
                    > of the same period "not only unnecessary, but obsolete".
                    > ...David

                  • outlawmws
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
                      I also noticed a very similar DP to the Craftsman design. The top of the column to quill "Frame" is straight, but almost evrything else is VERY similar.

                    • mader
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
                        I have a Sears Roebuck bench type drill press. On the top cover over the pulleys is marked COMPANION. there is a plate on the base that list the Mod No 101 03520. I can take photo if you would like. It is quite old.
                        Bill

                        --- In mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com, "David G. Sampar" <dsampar@...> wrote:

                        > If you look at page 38 of the same catalog you'll notice that they offered a
                        > motor with "remote control".
                        >
                        > If you look at page 36 of the 1940 Walker-Turner catalog found here...
                        >
                        > http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=712
                        >
                        > WT offered an accessory remote control switch to make the use of control
                        > rods as found on Delta equipment
                        > of the same period "not only unnecessary, but obsolete".
                        > ...David

                      • outlawmws
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
                          Does it look somewhat like mine? does the "C" in Companion have the long underline "C"?

                          Is so, its likely it is 1940 or older, as per the catalog, that was the last year the compainon drill Press was made. The primary difference between the Companion had bronze berings in the quill, and a 3/8" capacity chuck.

                          the early 40's catalogs were really small due to the war effort and almost all metals going to the war effort.

                          Pics are always good!

                          -Outlaw

                          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "mader" <hillbrook@...> wrote:

                          > I have a Sears Roebuck bench type drill press. On the top cover over the pulleys is marked COMPANION. there is a plate on the base that list the Mod No 101 03520. I can take photo if you would like. It is quite old.
                          > Bill

                        • metalmechanic
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 9, 2011
                            This is one sweet machine. Picked mine up on the Cape (Cod) for $25. Dumped the motor (drew 50 amps at start). Replaced the quill spring by jury rigging a torsion spring from Sears's 'ample' supply. Their service people were exceptional! I put a 2'x2'shoe on the table that I may clamp fixtures as my need. All together a great tool.
                            Enjoy

                            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "outlawmws" <outlawmws@...> wrote:

                            > I picked up a late 30's to early 40's Craftsman Bench top Drill Press Sunday.
                            >
                            > Seems to be mostly there, it is missing the spindle/spline cap, and it would have been great if it had the intermediate pulley setup for more speeds, but other than that, it seems in great shape!
                            >
                            > Picture in the groups folders here :

                            > Or if Yahell breaks the link try the home page and "New photos"
                            >
                            > It runs smoothly once I greased the drive spindle, but I had t jury rig the power cord to test it. On that subject, it has no place for the power switch anywhere!
                            >
                            > I've looked at several on line Sears power tool catalogs, and one showed a switch near the main quill area on the left side. No hole there for mine. Anyone know what was "normal"?
                            >

                            > The motor is clearly a replacement (Wards Powr-Kraft) but appears to be within the period.
                            >
                            > It has a nice Jacobs 1/2" chuck, and a throat capacity of 6-1/2", and near as I can tell is their standard or heavy duty model, depending on year. (No model number plate that I can find anywhere, and no evidence of one missing. Did they glue them on, or rivet?)
                            >
                            > Ah yes, where can I get a couple of the press in "rivets" so I can get the return spring cover back on properly? (They had it taped on... I could thread and use screws, but would like to maintain as much of its originality as possible.)
                            >
                            > Lastly, does anyone know if these had any deficiencies that I need to be careful about?
                            >
                            > -Outlaw

                          • outlawmws
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 11, 2011
                              Getting back to this 30's Craftsman DP - Does anyone know who made it for Sears/Craftsman?

                              Was it Walker/Turner? I know from the 1940 W/T catalog that was posted, that they made an extremely similar DP, but it definitely had different features also.

                              -Outlaw

                              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "metalmechanic" <metalmechanic@...> wrote:

                              > This is one sweet machine. Picked mine up on the Cape (Cod) for $25. Dumped the motor (drew 50 amps at start). Replaced the quill spring by jury rigging a torsion spring from Sears's 'ample' supply. Their service people were exceptional! I put a 2'x2'shoe on the table that I may clamp fixtures as my need. All together a great tool.
                              > Enjoy
                              >

                              > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "outlawmws" <outlawmws@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I picked up a late 30's to early 40's Craftsman Bench top Drill Press Sunday.
                              > >
                              > > Seems to be mostly there, it is missing the spindle/spline cap, and it would have been great if it had the intermediate pulley setup for more speeds, but other than that, it seems in great shape!
                              > >
                              > > Picture in the groups folders here :

                              > > Or if Yahell breaks the link try the home page and "New photos"
                              > >
                              > > It runs smoothly once I greased the drive spindle, but I had t jury rig the power cord to test it. On that subject, it has no place for the power switch anywhere!
                              > >
                              > > I've looked at several on line Sears power tool catalogs, and one showed a switch near the main quill area on the left side. No hole there for mine. Anyone know what was "normal"?
                              > >

                              > > The motor is clearly a replacement (Wards Powr-Kraft) but appears to be within the period.
                              > >
                              > > It has a nice Jacobs 1/2" chuck, and a throat capacity of 6-1/2", and near as I can tell is their standard or heavy duty model, depending on year. (No model number plate that I can find anywhere, and no evidence of one missing. Did they glue them on, or rivet?)
                              > >
                              > > Ah yes, where can I get a couple of the press in "rivets" so I can get the return spring cover back on properly? (They had it taped on... I could thread and use screws, but would like to maintain as much of its originality as possible.)
                              > >
                              > > Lastly, does anyone know if these had any deficiencies that I need to be careful about?
                              > >
                              > > -Outlaw

                            • outlawmws
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 11, 2011
                                Another question I forgot to ask:

                                Does anyone have a clue what the original paint color was on these Craftsman Drill Presses? This one is battleship grey, but I'm not convinced it wasn't stripped and repainted before. (I suppose it could be original, it jsut seems unlikely after 70 odd years...)

                                -Outlaw

                                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "outlawmws" <outlawmws@...> wrote:

                                > Getting back to this 30's Craftsman DP - Does anyone know who made it for Sears/Craftsman?
                                >
                                > Was it Walker/Turner? I know from the 1940 W/T catalog that was posted, that they made an extremely similar DP, but it definitely had different features also.
                                >
                                > -Outlaw
                                >
                                > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "metalmechanic" <metalmechanic@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > This is one sweet machine. Picked mine up on the Cape (Cod) for $25. Dumped the motor (drew 50 amps at start). Replaced the quill spring by jury rigging a torsion spring from Sears's 'ample' supply. Their service people were exceptional! I put a 2'x2'shoe on the table that I may clamp fixtures as my need. All together a great tool.
                                > > Enjoy
                                > >

                                > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "outlawmws" <outlawmws@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I picked up a late 30's to early 40's Craftsman Bench top Drill Press Sunday.
                                > > >
                                > > > Seems to be mostly there, it is missing the spindle/spline cap, and it would have been great if it had the intermediate pulley setup for more speeds, but other than that, it seems in great shape!
                                > > >
                                > > > Picture in the groups folders here :

                                > > > Or if Yahell breaks the link try the home page and "New photos"
                                > > >
                                > > > It runs smoothly once I greased the drive spindle, but I had t jury rig the power cord to test it. On that subject, it has no place for the power switch anywhere!
                                > > >
                                > > > I've looked at several on line Sears power tool catalogs, and one showed a switch near the main quill area on the left side. No hole there for mine. Anyone know what was "normal"?
                                > > >

                                > > > The motor is clearly a replacement (Wards Powr-Kraft) but appears to be within the period.
                                > > >
                                > > > It has a nice Jacobs 1/2" chuck, and a throat capacity of 6-1/2", and near as I can tell is their standard or heavy duty model, depending on year. (No model number plate that I can find anywhere, and no evidence of one missing. Did they glue them on, or rivet?)
                                > > >
                                > > > Ah yes, where can I get a couple of the press in "rivets" so I can get the return spring cover back on properly? (They had it taped on... I could thread and use screws, but would like to maintain as much of its originality as possible.)
                                > > >
                                > > > Lastly, does anyone know if these had any deficiencies that I need to be careful about?
                                > > >
                                > > > -Outlaw

                              • Ron Gerlach
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 11, 2011
                                  Outlaw

                                  Go to this web site:

                                  http://vintagemachinery.org/

                                  You should find everything you need for your old machine. It lists all the different manufacturers that were sold under the Craftsman label. There are photos and manuals for the vast majority of old wood working tools plus some info on metal working tools.

                                  Ron

                                  To: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: outlawmws@...
                                  Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:40:19 +0000

                                  Getting back to this 30's Craftsman DP - Does anyone know who made it for Sears/Craftsman?

                                  Was it Walker/Turner? I know from the 1940 W/T catalog that was posted, that they made an extremely similar DP, but it definitely had different features also.

                                  -Outlaw

                                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "metalmechanic" <metalmechanic@...> wrote:

                                  > This is one sweet machine. Picked mine up on the Cape (Cod) for $25. Dumped the motor (drew 50 amps at start). Replaced the quill spring by jury rigging a torsion spring from Sears's 'ample' supply. Their service people were exceptional! I put a 2'x2'shoe on the table that I may clamp fixtures as my need. All together a great tool.

                                  > Enjoy

                                  > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "outlawmws" <outlawmws@> wrote:

                                  > > I picked up a late 30's to early 40's Craftsman Bench top Drill Press Sunday.

                                  > > Seems to be mostly there, it is missing the spindle/spline cap, and it would have been great if it had the intermediate pulley setup for more speeds, but other than that, it seems in great shape!

                                  > > Picture in the groups folders here :

                                  > > Or if Yahell breaks the link try the home page and "New photos"

                                  > > It runs smoothly once I greased the drive spindle, but I had t jury rig the power cord to test it. On that subject, it has no place for the power switch anywhere!

                                  > > I've looked at several on line Sears power tool catalogs, and one showed a switch near the main quill area on the left side. No hole there for mine. Anyone know what was "normal"?

                                  > > The motor is clearly a replacement (Wards Powr-Kraft) but appears to be within the period.

                                  > > It has a nice Jacobs 1/2" chuck, and a throat capacity of 6-1/2", and near as I can tell is their standard or heavy duty model, depending on year. (No model number plate that I can find anywhere, and no evidence of one missing. Did they glue them on, or rivet?)

                                  > > Ah yes, where can I get a couple of the press in "rivets" so I can get the return spring cover back on properly? (They had it taped on... I could thread and use screws, but would like to maintain as much of its originality as possible.)

                                  > > Lastly, does anyone know if these had any deficiencies that I need to be careful about?

                                  > > -Outlaw

                                • David G. Sampar
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 11, 2011
                                    Here is the answer to all your questions... What motor? Who made it?? and
                                    What color???

                                    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=1530

                                    ...David

                                    Getting back to this 30's Craftsman DP - Does anyone know who made it for
                                    Sears/Craftsman?

                                    Was it Walker/Turner? I know from the 1940 W/T catalog that was posted, that
                                    they made an extremely similar DP, but it definitely had different features
                                    also.

                                    -Outlaw

                                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                                    <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com> , "metalmechanic"

                                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/photos/album/815899257/pic/li
                                    st?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc> &order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                                    > > Or if Yahell breaks the link try the home page and "New photos"
                                    > >
                                    > > It runs smoothly once I greased the drive spindle, but I had t jury rig
                                    the power cord to test it. On that subject, it has no place for the power
                                    switch anywhere!

                                    > > I've looked at several on line Sears power tool catalogs, and one showed
                                    a switch near the main quill area on the left side. No hole there for mine.
                                    Anyone know what was "normal"?

                                    > > The motor is clearly a replacement (Wards Powr-Kraft) but appears to be
                                    within the period.

                                    > > It has a nice Jacobs 1/2" chuck, and a throat capacity of 6-1/2", and
                                    near as I can tell is their standard or heavy duty model, depending on year.
                                    (No model number plate that I can find anywhere, and no evidence of one
                                    missing. Did they glue them on, or rivet?)

                                    > > Ah yes, where can I get a couple of the press in "rivets" so I can get
                                    the return spring cover back on properly? (They had it taped on... I could
                                    thread and use screws, but would like to maintain as much of its originality
                                    as possible.)

                                    > > Lastly, does anyone know if these had any deficiencies that I need to be
                                    careful about?

                                    > > -Outlaw

                                  • outlawmws
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 11, 2011
                                      Thanks for the quick replies guys! a lot of good info at that site! I'd not seen it before.

                                      So it IS an Atlas - so not so off topic afterall!

                                      Not sure about the blue in the photos though! Mine in Battleship grey is about as claen for paint, so the jury is out on that one. I'm evvious of him having the top spindle cover though. Aluminum... Hmm well I'll just ahve out watch for one.

                                    • outlawmws
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 11, 2011
                                        Well some looking at many of the mod 101 DPs on that site the verdict appesars to be both blue and grey were used. Not clear what years were what, but both were used. I saw one tht was painted gold, and one red, but I don't think those wre original...

                                        -Outlaw

                                      • David G. Sampar
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 11, 2011
                                          Craftsman used blue, grey, gold, and black to paint their equipment at
                                          various times.
                                          The late 30's seemed to be their blue period.
                                          ...David

                                          wrote:

                                          > > Here is the answer to all your questions... What motor? Who made it??
                                          and
                                          > > What color???
                                          > >
                                          > > http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=1530
                                          > >
                                          > > ...David
                                          > >
                                          > > From: atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                                          <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          > > Subject: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Slightly OT - Craftsman Bench top Drill
                                          Press

                                          > > Getting back to this 30's Craftsman DP - Does anyone know who made it
                                          for
                                          > > Sears/Craftsman?
                                          > >
                                          > > Was it Walker/Turner? I know from the 1940 W/T catalog that was posted,
                                          that
                                          > > they made an extremely similar DP, but it definitely had different
                                          features
                                          > > also.
                                          > >
                                          > > -Outlaw
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                                          <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          > > <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com> , "metalmechanic"
                                          > > <metalmechanic@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > This is one sweet machine. Picked mine up on the Cape (Cod) for $25.
                                          > > Dumped the motor (drew 50 amps at start). Replaced the quill spring by
                                          jury
                                          > > rigging a torsion spring from Sears's 'ample' supply. Their service
                                          people
                                          > > were exceptional! I put a 2'x2'shoe on the table that I may clamp
                                          fixtures
                                          > > as my need. All together a great tool.
                                          > > > Enjoy
                                          > > >

                                          > > > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com
                                          <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com>
                                          > > <mailto:atlas_craftsman%40yahoogroups.com> , "outlawmws" <outlawmws@>

                                          Press
                                          > > Sunday.

                                          > > would have been great if it had the intermediate pulley setup for more
                                          > > speeds, but other than that, it seems in great shape!

                                          > > t?mode=tn

                                          > > st?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc> &order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

                                          > > the power cord to test it. On that subject, it has no place for the
                                          power
                                          > > switch anywhere!

                                          > > a switch near the main quill area on the left side. No hole there for
                                          mine.
                                          > > Anyone know what was "normal"?

                                          > > within the period.

                                          > > near as I can tell is their standard or heavy duty model, depending on
                                          year.
                                          > > (No model number plate that I can find anywhere, and no evidence of one
                                          > > missing. Did they glue them on, or rivet?)

                                          > > the return spring cover back on properly? (They had it taped on... I
                                          could
                                          > > thread and use screws, but would like to maintain as much of its
                                          originality
                                          > > as possible.)

                                          > > careful about?

                                        • outlawmws
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 12, 2011
                                            Hmmm, Not so sure about the late 30's being their "Blue" period. I have a Craftsman Bandsaw that is definitly later than 43, possibly as late as 48, that is that same blue. Were they consitant at all year to year for color back then?

                                          • jrgoetz
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 13, 2011
                                              You made reference to 50 amp. draw on start-up. Normally all AC motors will have an initial starting current many times greater than running current listed on the name plate.

                                              Thanks for listening

                                              JR Goetz