Re: Carriage feed lever engaging when I don't want it to

  • rickw55
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31, 2011
      Thanks for all the good information, guys!
      I'll look for the spring and ball when I get a chance to use the lathe again, probably this weekend.
      If I can't fix it that way, I'll try the rubber band!
      Thanks all,
      Rick W
    • Bruce Freeman
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
        I take it when you use the parting tool that you're using the power
        cross-feed and, hence, have the gears engaged to power the lead screw? In a
        pinch, you could de-power the lead screw and advance the tool by hand. Then
        it wouldn't matter about the carriage feed lever.

        I agree, however, that it's a good deal better to get the machine working
        properly.

        --
        Bruce
        NJ

      • rickw55
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
          Bruce,
          No, I wasn't using the power cross-feed.As the lathe is set up now, if I engage the power cross-feed, it goes from the center out, so I can't use it to part off.
          As far as dis-engaging the leadscrew, how do I do that? I know that's a basic question, but I'm new at this,
          Thanks,
          Rick

          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> wrote:

          > I take it when you use the parting tool that you're using the power
          > cross-feed and, hence, have the gears engaged to power the lead screw? In a
          > pinch, you could de-power the lead screw and advance the tool by hand. Then
          > it wouldn't matter about the carriage feed lever.
          >
          > I agree, however, that it's a good deal better to get the machine working
          > properly.
        • JACK SIMS
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
            Use the 3 position lever on the headstock to change the direction of the lead screw, center is disengaged.
            It also changes the direction of the cross slide.
            Jack Sims
            No, I wasn't using the power cross-feed.As the lathe is set up now, if I engage the power cross-feed, it goes from the center out, so I can't use it to part off.
            As far as dis-engaging the leadscrew, how do I do that? I know that's a basic question, but I'm new at this,
            Thanks,
            Rick

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Freeman <freemab222@...> wrote:

            > I take it when you use the parting tool that you're using the power
            > cross-feed and, hence, have the gears engaged to power the lead screw? In a
            > pinch, you could de-power the lead screw and advance the tool by hand. Then
            > it wouldn't matter about the carriage feed lever.
            >
            > I agree, however, that it's a good deal better to get the machine working
            > properly.

          • Rob Robinson
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2011
              Jon Elson, if you are the moderator for this forum site, I want to UNSUBSCRIBE!!!!!! It is nothing but inane pap!........Rob Robinson

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3, 2011
                Easy there, friend! Your destiny is in your own hands. Midst the 'pap' on every page are very clear instructions for unsubscribing from the list.

              • carvelw@absamail.co.za
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 3, 2011
                  Rob - Look at the bottom of any message for instrauctions on how to
                  unsubscribe yourself ( !!!!!!!!!!! )

                  > Jon Elson, if you are the moderator for this forum site, I want to
                  > UNSUBSCRIBE!!!!!! It is nothing but inane pap!........Rob Robinson

                • rickw55
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                    Thanks to all who responded to answer my question. I got some great advice, and I'm impressed with this forum!
                    Rick W