Re: My new project

  • Clive
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2011
      --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "MIKE" <mike_sharkey2000@...> wrote:

      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Clive" <cliveadams23@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Mike,
      > >
      > > Happy birthday for yesterday! You've bought yourself a nice present there(or it will be when it's all up and running.) I bought a 10F about 20 years ago in its Halifax variant - cost me £135 at that time with most of the change wheels. I managed to source some from Acorn Machine Tools to complete the set and enable metric screwcutting. Sadly, Acorn seems to have disappeared now - someone on here advised me of a guy in Ascot who carried on the business but unfortunately the contact details don't work. Apart from that, it appears that there are no new spares available in the UK. You're lucky, of course, in that you have two to build into one, so hopefully you should be OK.
      > >
      > > I had to cut a new feedscrew for the topslide on mine and with only one lathe it was quite difficult - I had to plan everything so that I didn't disable the lathe and end up without all the parts made. Mind you, while I was about I made a new topslide handle with a zeroing dial to save on guesswork later, so that made the job more complicated. I've threatened to make one for the cross-slide too but never got around to it.
      > >
      > > Where in the UK are you, BTW?
      > >
      > > Good luck with the restoration,
      > >
      > > Clive
      > >

      > Hi Clive, I am based in Wigan, Lancashire uk. I have just been out to start stripping the one in the shed, so far took off the saddle ad leadscrew, hopefully should just be able to swap them over. I'm going to print off the parts list PDF as that seems quite a good diagram of how things go back together. I need to get my head around the busted gear at the headstock end. so far it seems all the parts are there to make one decent lathe from the two, not too sure regarding all the changewheels though. I didn't realise that these lathes could also do metric screw cutting, it was a nice surprise when I opened the gear cover and spotted the gear chart with all the information for metric!

      Yes, the Atlas is quite versatile in its screwcutting capabilities. IIRC it's any imperial thread between 4 and 96 tpi and any metric thread between 0.5mm and 7mm with the standard changewheels although I haven't used mine in that capacity for a while.

      I'm in North Wales, about 20 miles from Chester. I've spent a fair bit of time around the Wigan area since I used to work for a company whose regional depot was in Leigh. As a matter of fact I bought a 12" Atlas from a guy in Ashton-in-Makerfield a few weeks ago which I'm hoping to replace my 10F with. That one has a Q/C gearbox so SHOULD save a fair bit of time setting up the gear train!

      All the best,

      Clive

    • MIKE
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2011

        > Yes, the Atlas is quite versatile in its screwcutting capabilities. IIRC it's any imperial thread between 4 and 96 tpi and any metric thread between 0.5mm and 7mm with the standard changewheels although I haven't used mine in that capacity for a while.
        >
        > I'm in North Wales, about 20 miles from Chester. I've spent a fair bit of time around the Wigan area since I used to work for a company whose regional depot was in Leigh. As a matter of fact I bought a 12" Atlas from a guy in Ashton-in-Makerfield a few weeks ago which I'm hoping to replace my 10F with. That one has a Q/C gearbox so SHOULD save a fair bit of time setting up the gear train!
        >
        > All the best,
        >
        > Clive

        Clive, thats uncanny! I live in Ashton, and i bought the lathes from a guy in Leigh!

        How did i miss the lathe that was so local to me? was it a private sale or advertised?
      • Clive
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 3, 2011
          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "MIKE" <mike_sharkey2000@...> wrote:

          > > Yes, the Atlas is quite versatile in its screwcutting capabilities. IIRC it's any imperial thread between 4 and 96 tpi and any metric thread between 0.5mm and 7mm with the standard changewheels although I haven't used mine in that capacity for a while.
          > >
          > > I'm in North Wales, about 20 miles from Chester. I've spent a fair bit of time around the Wigan area since I used to work for a company whose regional depot was in Leigh. As a matter of fact I bought a 12" Atlas from a guy in Ashton-in-Makerfield a few weeks ago which I'm hoping to replace my 10F with. That one has a Q/C gearbox so SHOULD save a fair bit of time setting up the gear train!
          > >
          > > All the best,
          > >
          > > Clive
          > > >

          > Clive, thats uncanny! I live in Ashton, and i bought the lathes from a guy in Leigh!
          >
          > How did i miss the lathe that was so local to me? was it a private sale or advertised?

          It was on eBay - item no 300552430799 which finished on 6th May. I'd never even heard of these machines before, but had a spec bid anyway and won it. The seller lives within earshot of the M6 in Woodfield Crescent - heck of a nice guy.

          The lathe needs a little work, as outlined in my posts on this forum, but given time it should be OK. I had a hard time explaining to my wife why I need 3 lathes . . . . . ;-)

          Clive

        • john
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 21, 2011
            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "MIKE" <mike_sharkey2000@...> wrote:

            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Clive" <cliveadams23@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Mike,
            > >
            > > Happy birthday for yesterday! You've bought yourself a nice present there(or it will be when it's all up and running.) I bought a 10F about 20 years ago in its Halifax variant - cost me £135 at that time with most of the change wheels. I managed to source some from Acorn Machine Tools to complete the set and enable metric screwcutting. Sadly, Acorn seems to have disappeared now - someone on here advised me of a guy in Ascot who carried on the business but unfortunately the contact details don't work. Apart from that, it appears that there are no new spares available in the UK. You're lucky, of course, in that you have two to build into one, so hopefully you should be OK.
            > >
            > > I had to cut a new feedscrew for the topslide on mine and with only one lathe it was quite difficult - I had to plan everything so that I didn't disable the lathe and end up without all the parts made. Mind you, while I was about I made a new topslide handle with a zeroing dial to save on guesswork later, so that made the job more complicated. I've threatened to make one for the cross-slide too but never got around to it.
            > >
            > > Where in the UK are you, BTW?
            > >
            > > Good luck with the restoration,
            > >
            > > Clive
            > >

            > Hi Clive, I am based in Wigan, Lancashire uk. I have just been out to start stripping the one in the shed, so far took off the saddle ad leadscrew, hopefully should just be able to swap them over. I'm going to print off the parts list PDF as that seems quite a good diagram of how things go back together. I need to get my head around the busted gear at the headstock end. so far it seems all the parts are there to make one decent lathe from the two, not too sure regarding all the changewheels though. I didn't realise that these lathes could also do metric screw cutting, it was a nice surprise when I opened the gear cover and spotted the gear chart with all the information for metric!
            >Hi Mike ,My name is John and live in ST helens.
            I aquired a 10F with Babbet bearings headstock in reasonable condition about 5 years ago.A short while later I managed to buy a Timken Headstock from Ebay,After stripping and cleaning I noticed the Timken bearings were dated 1940.the year I was born.It fitted perfectly and after adjusting the bearing pre-load there was only a few tenths(.0001")runout.I use it mostly for model steam engines and parts for my other hobbies incuding amateur astronomy.I also made an ER32 collet adapter that threads directly on the lathe spindle so i can hold round bar from 3 to 24 mm diameter quite accurately.If you require any help or advice dont hesitate to ask, a visit either way may be possible with us being so near .Regards John
          • MIKE
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 21, 2011
              >Hi Mike ,My name is John and live in ST helens.
              I aquired a 10F with Babbet bearings headstock in reasonable condition about 5
              years ago.A short while later I managed to buy a Timken Headstock from
              Ebay,After stripping and cleaning I noticed the Timken bearings were dated
              1940.the year I was born.It fitted perfectly and after adjusting the bearing
              pre-load there was only a few tenths(.0001")runout.I use it mostly for model
              steam engines and parts for my other hobbies incuding amateur astronomy.I also
              made an ER32 collet adapter that threads directly on the lathe spindle so i can
              hold round bar from 3 to 24 mm diameter quite accurately.If you require any help
              or advice dont hesitate to ask, a visit either way may be possible with us being
              so near .Regards John

              Hi John, good to hear from someone so close!
              I like the sound of a visit, it will help me get my head around a few things, its always good to look at someone elses setup.
              Well the green coloured one is now up & running, I wanted to make sure it worked as it should before I strip it again ready for painting etc. I have used it a few times over the last couple of weeks to test it, I needed to make an adapter to fit my angle grinder to enable me to use 1.0mm cutting disks (will show pics when I get chance) I still have not got any tooling for the lathe yet, so I have ground up an old metal file and so far its doing an ok job of the cutting, although I know with the correct type of tooling it would be 100% better. I was up over your way on Sunday at Chalon way car boot, I was hoping the guy who sells all the engineering tools would be there but unfortunatley he wasn't, so I will just have to keep regrinding and using the file for the time being lol
              If need be drop me a line to my email addy, not sure if the is a PM on here?

              Mike