Re: Yet another new guy...thoughts on value of an early 30's metalcraft atlas lathe

  • bill phelps
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6 5:07 PM
      hi guys  i have for sale a craftsman 12" change gear lathe 101.07403 timken bearing power crossfeed  the bed hase less than .001 wear the feed screw also hase no visable wear it hase new half nuts and a new crossfeed nut 1/2 hp craftsman motor with reversing switch 4 way tool post 3 jaw and 4jaw chucks and misc. tooling it is ready to use  needs nothing located on long island new york  if i put it on ebay i have to get $850.00 anyone on this site can get it for $800.00 if interested contact me off post  thanks billP

    • oldstudentmsgt
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7 7:27 AM
        For $50 to $100, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat! That despite being short on grocery money for the month if I want to drive to work... ;)

        Bill in OKC

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "ric_in_richmond" <ricbergstrom@...> wrote:

        > What are these things worth?
        >
        > I am looking for a home garage size (no 220 or 3 phase) lathe to go along with my clausing milling machine. Not planning on turning giant stuff...just spools, spacers...little stuff.
        >
        > I found this early 30s metalcraft that is this unit: http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page6.html
        >
        > and I have some locals telling me it is maybe worth $50 to $100 and I should be looking for a little southbend. .
        > What do you think it is worth? Is it worth $300, $400, $1000???
        >

        > I put some pictures in the photos section under "1930's early metal craft with deco base". The unit is in good shape. A little felt slop in the spindle, but I can't imagine it isn't taken out by peeling a shim. Chuck with spare jaws, face plate, a few pieces of tooling. Needs some new wires, but runs. Has stack of gears. Missing some handles on the wheels.
        >
        > The stand is very cool. Metal, art deco style with heavy woodtop.
        >
        > Thanks for the help!!!
        >
        > Ric

      • Ben D'Avanza
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7 7:47 AM
          I agree, I'd have paid a couple hundred or more. It's a beauty.